+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refusal, what now?

hollafame

Aug 6, 2018
Hi everyone,
I am a Canadian expat living in Bangkok, Thailand. I started my application for my Thai wife in April 2020. We are planning coming to Quebec and everything was smooth sailing and I even got her the CSQ acceptance. All but until I got a letter from the Singapore office which asked for the following:

-A letter from my current employer that I have resigned
-A letter that I got a new job in Canada
-Proof that I have terminated my lease
-Any kind of proof that I have the intent to come back to Canada

I then sent back documents showing conversations of my wife and I speaking to my parents of looking for houses, a full on document with my step by step plan on what I'll be doing when I get back and also bank statements showing that I'm transferring money from Thailand back to Canada.

I got a refusal but I can't even open the letter of rejection so I don't know what the actual reason is but I assume it's because of that.

Question now is: what do I do moving forward?
1) Do I appeal the decision
2) Do I start the process all over again?
3) Do I fly out there while my wife has a Canadian tourist visa and apply inland?

Thanks for the help and advice, please feel free to give me all angles and played out scenarios.

Regards

Len

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
3) Do I fly out there while my wife has a Canadian tourist visa and apply inland?
Sorry to hear this. Subject to actually reading the text of the refusal and if it was indeed about the intent to return to Canada:

Your 3) would be my suggestion - an appeal's likely going to take longer. (Alternatively you could return to Canada and apply outland for her).

Actually going back and re-establishing yourself in Canada seems the most reliable route to addressing the intent to return issue.

You should, however, immediately order the GCMS notes and consider filing the appeal (check elsewhere but I think you can drop the appeal at any time). You do want to confirm that this was the issue.

hollafame

Aug 6, 2018
Sorry to hear this. Subject to actually reading the text of the refusal and if it was indeed about the intent to return to Canada:

Your 3) would be my suggestion - an appeal's likely going to take longer. (Alternatively you could return to Canada and apply outland for her).

Actually going back and re-establishing yourself in Canada seems the most reliable route to addressing the intent to return issue.

You should, however, immediately order the GCMS notes and consider filing the appeal (check elsewhere but I think you can drop the appeal at any time). You do want to confirm that this was the issue.
Thank you for your information. What is GCMS may I ask? And if I go back, is it better to go by myself or with her? It's amazing on how they wanted me to quit my job, break my lease and then give me the approval for the PR, like I'm supposed to go job less and home less to show my intent? It's mind boggling. Maybe if I came as a refugee, my chances would be better :p

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for your information. What is GCMS may I ask? And if I go back, is it better to go by myself or with her? It's amazing on how they wanted me to quit my job, break my lease and then give me the approval for the PR, like I'm supposed to go job less and home less to show my intent? It's mind boggling. Maybe if I came as a refugee, my chances would be better :p
GCMS notes is notes from the IRCC's case management system, which you can order under access to information:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/transparency/access-information-privacy/requests-information-act.html

I can't comment on what they were looking for - clearly 'more' than you did provide. This doesn't necessarily mean quitting your job etc but are better evidence.

For your question, better to go with or without her. Personal choice with money and being separated from one another, health insurance, inability to work (until open work permit under inland granted), etc, all the factors you'll have to decide upon.

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
Order gcms to see if they are satisfied with your bona fide marriage.
If so, you overcame the biggest hurdle.
Since your wife has a trv, return together and reapply Inland.
All you have to prove is that you have resettled- that is easy to do from Canada.
You can also appeal but depending your wife may have to go back if you are denied a trv extension.

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
By the way, vo asked you concrete proof and seems you only provided a plan to resettle, not the actual proof.
Thats why they refused.
They are well aware of the fact that you wont risk being jobless and homeless so thats how they get you, since they cannot get you on non genuine.
Solution? Easy, move back and appeal/reapply.

bryndog1950

Star Member
Dec 14, 2020
Hi everyone,
I am a Canadian expat living in Bangkok, Thailand. I started my application for my Thai wife in April 2020. We are planning coming to Quebec and everything was smooth sailing and I even got her the CSQ acceptance. All but until I got a letter from the Singapore office which asked for the following:

-A letter from my current employer that I have resigned
-A letter that I got a new job in Canada
-Proof that I have terminated my lease
-Any kind of proof that I have the intent to come back to Canada

I then sent back documents showing conversations of my wife and I speaking to my parents of looking for houses, a full on document with my step by step plan on what I'll be doing when I get back and also bank statements showing that I'm transferring money from Thailand back to Canada.

I got a refusal but I can't even open the letter of rejection so I don't know what the actual reason is but I assume it's because of that.

Question now is: what do I do moving forward?
1) Do I appeal the decision
2) Do I start the process all over again?

Thanks for the help and advice, please feel free to give me all angles and played out scenarios.

Regards

Len
I think you first need to confirm the actual reason for refusal. What is the problem with opening the letter? The letter also probably contains options for appeal or next steps.

Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Many people never returned to Canada which is why now IRCC requires a lot of proof that you will be returning. Given that you were at the end of the process showing proof that you have given notice to your employer and given notice to your landlord/put your home up for sale isn’t as crazy of a suggestion as you are indicating.

hollafame

Aug 6, 2018
yeah just ask them to resend it, im sure theyd be more than happy to oblige you
Do you know how I can do it in a speedy manner? I have called them non stop and I never get through to an agent. I filled out a webform which they say might take 28 days to get back to (and I have a 30 day window for an appeal). This is really frustrating and I feel powerless.

Thank you guys for the replies though.

Len

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Do you know how I can do it in a speedy manner? I have called them non stop and I never get through to an agent. I filled out a webform which they say might take 28 days to get back to (and I have a 30 day window for an appeal).
You say you 'got a letter of refusal' - how did you get it - direct by email or in your gckey account? when you say you can't read it, what's the issue? It's some kind of electronic file you can't open?

hollafame

Aug 6, 2018
You say you 'got a letter of refusal' - how did you get it - direct by email or in your gckey account? when you say you can't read it, what's the issue? It's some kind of electronic file you can't open?
Yes it is in the gckey account.

All the files in there work except for that particular one and that's the one I need to see the most. I almost feel like they are playing with us to make us feel powerless :(

pat40

Jan 21, 2020
Yes it is in the gckey account.

All the files in there work except for that particular one and that's the one I need to see the most. I almost feel like they are playing with us to make us feel powerless :(
Download and open that letter using apple safari browser. I hope this help.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
All the files in there work except for that particular one and that's the one I need to see the most.
Try to give complete answers to questions - when you say it doesn't work, what's the issue? You can't download it, you can't open it? Using what program? what file format is it (pdf or something else)?

If you can't read it, how do you know it's a refusal? What's the text that you can see?