+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refusal of Student Visa for 3 years course after 10+2 (half of family in Canada)

dino_choc

Star Member
Jun 13, 2015
Hi,

I live in Canada and I am a Canadian Citizen and married, my younger sister is also PR. We both sisters are working in Canada and earning well. I recently applied ONLINE for my younger brother student visa and got refused despite of fact that we can financially support him, have accommodation for him and can pay for his expenses. On top of all, my parents got Super Visa and they are coming here too for visit.

My brother passed his 10+2 and has acceptance of 3 years course in Seneca for Computer course, he passed IELTS with 6.0 bands. His score in 10th and 10+2 is not so great.
He was refused visitor visa when he was 15.
He has educational loan approved from bank and we've already sent the first semester fees to the college.
Our parents also have good amount of money in the bank and property assets.

Below is the reason of refusal:
"Your proposed studies are not reasonable in light of one or more of: your qualifications, previous studies and academic record, employment, level of establishment, language abilities, or your future prospects and plans."

We didn't mention that our parents already have Super Visa and that they are coming soon to Canada on his application. And, we haven't properly sent a notarized affidavit of support from Canada. My mother got 'affidavit of our financial support' notarized from India. Are these the potential reasons of refusal?

I don't know what we can do now? Apply again? Will a letter from my brother side and our side including affidavit notarized from Canada help his case? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

kaur96

Star Member
May 29, 2015
the refusal is because of course mismatch or low scores in ielts.....share ur brother's profile properly like subjects in 12 grade, percentage and ielts score in each module

dino_choc

Star Member
Jun 13, 2015
Thanks for replying.

I don't understand how the course is mismatched since he took Computer Science as one of his core subjects in 10+2. After 10+2, one decides which further direction you want to go regardless of fact what you have studied before. If Canadian college already gave you admission after considering you eligible, what's the point of scratching that part again?

Here's his grades:

10+2
English - D
Punjabi - D
Geography - C
Sports - B
Computer Science - C

IELTS (Overall 6.0)
Reading - 5.5
Writing - 5.5
Listening - 7.0
Speaking - 5.0

I know the score is not so impressive and he was little careless. He is young and kinda took everything for granted. But he is big time repenting and what we do now?

Proly, I should have never attached his marksheet and just attach Acceptance Letter as they asked during ONLINE application submission :/

th3.rdx

Jul 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi DINO ,

The minimum requirement of IELTS scores is 6 bands overall with not less than 5.5 in any module. Your brother has 5 in speaking , he should think about giving ielts again . He cant proceed with these scores.

dino_choc

Star Member
Jun 13, 2015
I understand that. But, the college gave him admission regardless you see. Although he was rejected by lot of other colleges. We don't have time to give another IELTS at the moment. By the time he would redo IELTS, we will be very late for application file submission which should be 3 months prior.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Generally speaking you need to score at least 5.5 in each of the four IELTS categories. He has two scores of 5.5 and one that's a 5. That's a pretty bad IELTS score. Since his school grades are poor, it's important to have stronger IELTS exam results to increase the chances of approval. I don't think there's any point reapplying with the results he has now. He doesn't look like a serious student with these kinds of marks. Maybe he should take additional courses in his home country for a year and achieve better grades - and also improve his English before applying again.

dino_choc

Star Member
Jun 13, 2015
You have no idea how mad I was when I saw his score because of him the plan is jeopardized. He said he stopped talking for a minute or two in his Speaking exam. What an idiot!
I know 5.0 is very low. He was over confident each time I asked him to prepare properly. He studied at Convent school and his English is not that bad. Again, I know why would Immigration care, they just want to see facts.

But, do you guys really think it's because of IELTS? And, if he appears again he has a chance?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
dino_choc said:
You have no idea how mad I was when I saw his score because of him the plan is jeopardized. He said he stopped talking for a minute or two in his Speaking exam. What an idiot!
I know 5.0 is very low. He was over confident each time I asked him to prepare properly. He studied at Convent school and his English is not that bad. Again, I know why would Immigration care, they just want to see facts.

But, do you guys really think it's because of IELTS? And, if he appears again he has a chance?
Immigration cares because they are looking for proof that someone is a genuine student and isn't just using the student visa as a means of getting to Canada to try to stay long term. Look at it from CIC's perspective: Your brother has bad IELTS scores and low school grades. It sounds like all or most of his family are either living in Canada permanently or planning to travel there for extended periods of time. This isn't the profile of someone who is a genuine student - this is the profile of someone who is trying to find a way to get to Canada. This is what he has to overcome in his application. Retaking the IELTS may help - or he may still have issues getting approved. It's really impossible for any of us to say. However what we can say is that there's really no point reapplying with the IELTS score he has now.

dino_choc

Star Member
Jun 13, 2015
Appreciate your response. I agree with everything but for now I can't change or hide the fact that rest of the family is here in Canada permanently or travelling to Canada.

One thing that my brother doing right now is learning a computer language (Java, C++) from a local training institute plus he has a certification of computer security he did out of curiosity. We didn't mention any of this in his application but thinking to do so this time which might make officer think why he wants to study further. Plus, a letter from my side explaining about him a little bit. :/

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would avoid letters from you or your sibling in Canada as part of the application. You can certainly write a letter confirming you are prepared to support your brother financially - but I would keep it to that. HE is the one who has to convince CIC that he's a genuine student. If there's any explaining to do - it needs to be in his letter.

dino_choc

Star Member
Jun 13, 2015
So you think just a formal affidavit of support would be sufficient? Can't I write an additional letter too from my side as a big sis and explain a bit about him and why he wants to pursue his studies in Canada?

dental15

Oct 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dino_choc said:
Thanks for replying.

I don't understand how the course is mismatched since he took Computer Science as one of his core subjects in 10+2. After 10+2, one decides which further direction you want to go regardless of fact what you have studied before. If Canadian college already gave you admission after considering you eligible, what's the point of scratching that part again?

Here's his grades:

10+2
English - D
Punjabi - D
Geography - C
Sports - B
Computer Science - C

IELTS (Overall 6.0)
Reading - 5.5
Writing - 5.5
Listening - 7.0
Speaking - 5.0

I know the score is not so impressive and he was little careless. He is young and kinda took everything for granted. But he is big time repenting and what we do now?

Proly, I should have never attached his marksheet and just attach Acceptance Letter as they asked during ONLINE application submission :/
Where is his math course? Math is very important for computer science program. The academic is really bad... it should not be below C+.
The ielts is not good.. The min is each 5.5 and overall 6. However, the visa is getting difficult, we recommend that each 6 at least....The college admission requirement and visa requirement are different. I think, he will take time to improve his English skills... Good luck

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
dino_choc said:
Can't I write an additional letter too from my side as a big sis and explain a bit about him and why he wants to pursue his studies in Canada?
You can do whatever you want to - but this seems like a huge red flag to me. Again, look at everything from CIC's perspective. Why does a sister need to explain her brother's motivations for coming to Canada? Looks like the brother isn't a genuine student and/or the sister is trying to find any way possible to get him to Canada. This also makes it seem like he must have very strong ties to Canada. (At least that's what I would think if I was CIC.)

He's an adult. He needs to write the letter himself.

dino_choc

Star Member
Jun 13, 2015
scylla said:
You can do whatever you want to - but this seems like a huge red flag to me. Again, look at everything from CIC's perspective. Why does a sister need to explain her brother's motivations for coming to Canada? Looks like the brother isn't a genuine student and/or the sister is trying to find any way possible to get him to Canada. This also makes it seem like he must have very strong ties to Canada. (At least that's what I would think if I was CIC.)
Thanks for replying again.
I get it. As a sister I want to help and guide him. Anyway, what type of content he can write in his letter? Like, should he mention he is repenting about his past scores and ready to work hard further, etc. ? And, as I started thus discussion my brother was looking into giving Ielts again but he is getting date in Aug... and in September the course
starts. Can we still go ahead and file and say we are giving another ielts and submit result as soon we receive? I don't know how that would work and what's the best approach here.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Search for "SOP" or "statement of purpose" on this forum and you'll find examples of what he may want to write in his letter.

No - you cannot file the application now and say that he will submit the new IELTS results as soon as they are available. He has to re-write IELTS first and obtain the results - and include these results with his application if he wants the new results to be considered. If he does as you have suggested, it will be like he's applying with his old results and he'll just be refused again. He'll need to defer his studies to January if he can't write IELTS again until August.