+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refund bridging open work permit (BOWP) / bridge visa fees

nll

Star Member
Dec 12, 2019
Hi all,

If you've applied to be a Permanent Resident through Entry Express and then had to apply to a bridge visa, you can get your money back if you get your PR before the bridge visa.

Here's how:
  1. Once you get your COPR, go do the landing to activate your PR.
  2. Don't send anything to IRCC regarding the bridge visa, you'll later on receive an email saying your visa has been canceled.
  3. A few days later, you'll get a refund on the credit card you paid the bridge visa with.

Here's my timeline :
  • March 11, 2020 : PR confirmation (COPR)
  • March 14, 2020 : Landing
  • March 31, 2020 : Email sent by IRCC. Bridge visa status has been updated (« Canceled»).
  • April 8, 2020 : IRCC has automatically sent the refund ($155 + $100). Only the biometrics costs were not refunded. The transaction description was (in french): « CITIZEN&IMM-EAPPS ENLIGNE ».
I didn't know it was automatic and in the end I didn't have to request a refund through the official page (https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/refund.asp).

I hope this can help some of you in the future. :cool:

chikaloo

Nov 13, 2018
Hi! May I ask what do you mean by “landing”? How can I do that when I’m already in Canada? Thanks!

nll

Star Member
Dec 12, 2019
Hi! May I ask what do you mean by “landing”? How can I do that when I’m already in Canada? Thanks!
Landing means going through a custom office at the border. In my case, as I was already in Canada as well, I had to drive to the nearest border to go to the U.S and ask the US agent to "flagpole" which means not entering the US and going back to Canada. There I was able to "land" or to activate my PR.

With the COVID situation, Canada has updated this policy and you don't need to go to the border anymore. It's all online to activate your PR.

kkaran01

Star Member
Jan 3, 2020
I applied for bowp last month and my older wp getting expired next month. And I also received my copr last week. But my bowp file they approved in 2 weeks. So, is the fee refundable for bowp ?

nll

Star Member
Dec 12, 2019
I applied for bowp last month and my older wp getting expired next month. And I also received my copr last week. But my bowp file they approved in 2 weeks. So, is the fee refundable for bowp ?
If you got your PR before the BOWP, yes, the fees are refundable (minus the biometrics fees related to the BOWP).

Reactions: Armstrong17

tedMosby12

Nov 7, 2022
Landing means going through a custom office at the border. In my case, as I was already in Canada as well, I had to drive to the nearest border to go to the U.S and ask the US agent to "flagpole" which means not entering the US and going back to Canada. There I was able to "land" or to activate my PR.

With the COVID situation, Canada has updated this policy and you don't need to go to the border anymore. It's all online to activate your PR.
Hey
Hi

How do I do the landing if am in Canada?
I received my Ecopr today, whereas my Bridging application is still in process.

Would the Bridging application be automatically get canceled?

Thanks

Reactions: Armstrong17

Armstrong17

Jul 30, 2022
Hey
Hi

How do I do the landing if am in Canada?
I received my Ecopr today, whereas my Bridging application is still in process.

Would the Bridging application be automatically get canceled?

Thanks
Hi,

Any update/answer to your question. Was your bridging application cancelled automatically?

Thank you!