+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugees inviting parents on TRV

RefugeeBird88

Jul 5, 2022
I am interested in this topic so I called 6 immigration lawyers with the help of the lawyer I am working with. They all mentioned the chances of getting a TRV visa for other family members after your citizenship is around 80% and said it is recommended not to apply when you are still PR. They showed me cases that they applied and got visa so it is highly possible after your citizenship.
thanks this gives me hope. thank you for taking the time to follow up. my lawyer is not very up to date when it comes to such cases and i think i need to wait and apply for them after my citizenship which is not long

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
thanks this gives me hope. thank you for taking the time to follow up. my lawyer is not very up to date when it comes to such cases and i think i need to wait and apply for them after my citizenship which is not long
I know someone who invited his parent and got 10yrs visa. My distant uncle is a citizen and invited several family members too. Keyboard warriors will always put negative comments to discourage, but just invite for them to apply if you are PR/Citizen. If they refuse your application, they must have reasons to refuse, otherwise there are other avenues all the way to JR and i am sure they will settle ( if their ground is based on your past immigration status). Simple question will be asked to the Minister, have you ever approved any application in the past based on host past refugee status? and why refuse this one (It is abuse of power).......Unless there are other reasons that applicant does not meet

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I know someone who invited his parent and got 10yrs visa. My distant uncle is a citizen and invited several family members too. Keyboard warriors will always put negative comments to discourage, but just invite for them to apply if you are PR/Citizen. If they refuse your application, they must have reasons to refuse, otherwise there are other avenues all the way to JR and i am sure they will settle ( if their ground is based on your past immigration status). Simple question will be asked to the Minister, have you ever approved any application in the past based on host past refugee status? and why refuse this one (It is abuse of power).......Unless there are other reasons that applicant does not meet
Wouldn’t be as confident that Minister will settle. If there is a high number of asylum claims from the region and this family applied for asylum while on a TRV or crossed the US border there are well founded concerns that the parents may also claim asylum. When it comes to family members of protected people applying for TRVs chances of success are extremely individual. It will depend on how strong their ties are to their home country, previous travel, current state of their home country, how and when you claimed asylum in Canada, reason you claimed asylum and whether the same reasons would apply to the parents, etc. There are many examples of family members who have applied for asylum after getting TRVs so there are good reasons to deny entry. All you can do is apply. When it comes to fighting to get TRVs numerous applications can count against you. Numerous applications can also indicate desperation to enter Canada which has been signed as concerns in many GCMS notes. Given that this family has relatively recently received protected person status I would discourage filing JR at this point.