+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugees inviting parents on TRV

RefugeeBird88

Jul 5, 2022
Hello friends
I just got to know this forum and learned very important information from here. I thank everyone for sharing all they know to help others.
I checked everywhere about my question here but I could not find a straight answer. My question is if we as PR refugees (or when we get our citizenships) can apply visitor visa (TRV) for our parents? My lawyer says we as refugees have to kiss inviting our families on TRV to Canada good bye and they can never get a visitor visa. I personally have never seen anybody get such visa so no source of info is available for me?
Have you guys heard any PR refugee or citizen refugee apply for their parents or brothers or sisters and gotten a visitor visa?
Please share any experience or info that you have. Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello friends
I just got to know this forum and learned very important information from here. I thank everyone for sharing all they know to help others.
I checked everywhere about my question here but I could not find a straight answer. My question is if we as PR refugees (or when we get our citizenships) can apply visitor visa (TRV) for our parents? My lawyer says we as refugees have to kiss inviting our families on TRV to Canada good bye and they can never get a visitor visa. I personally have never seen anybody get such visa so no source of info is available for me?
Have you guys heard any PR refugee or citizen refugee apply for their parents or brothers or sisters and gotten a visitor visa?
You can certainly try but depending on why you got asylum and where your parents are from it can be very difficult for them to get a TRV. For example if you got asylum as a member of the LGBTQ+ community then it wouldn’t be as hardfor your parents to visit Canada because they wouldn’t have grounds to apply for asylum themselves. If you got asylum based on being part of a minority group in your country then it would be much harder for your parents to get a TRV because they would have the same reason to claim asylum. All you can do is try.

farsxp

Apr 19, 2019
Hello friends
Hello and welcome to this forum. I, honestly, have no experience about this and I asked the exact question from my lawyer and he said the same thing. I am not sure if that is fair but it seems IRCC does not trust us to invite our family members here and refuses due to "having strong family ties in Canada".
I have no further info with regard to this honestly and my lawyer 'heard' that inviting family members might result in refusal. Had he ever tried for someone? The answer is no! So no body knows unless they try! Try it and let us know.

RefugeeBird88

Jul 5, 2022
You can certainly try but depending on why you got asylum and where your parents are from it can be very difficult for them to get a TRV. For example if you got asylum as a member of the LGBTQ+ community then it wouldn’t be as hardfor your parents to visit Canada because they wouldn’t have grounds to apply for asylum themselves. If you got asylum based on being part of a minority group in your country then it would be much harder for your parents to get a TRV because they would have the same reason to claim asylum. All you can do is try.
Oh thanks for your answer and I will certainly try. No I got mine based on political opinion so it seems it will be difficult. My lawyer says we try and if it won't work he can take it to the Federal Court.

RefugeeBird88

Jul 5, 2022
Hello and welcome to this forum. I, honestly, have no experience about this and I asked the exact question from my lawyer and he said the same thing. I am not sure if that is fair but it seems IRCC does not trust us to invite our family members here and refuses due to "having strong family ties in Canada".
I have no further info with regard to this honestly and my lawyer 'heard' that inviting family members might result in refusal. Had he ever tried for someone? The answer is no! So no body knows unless they try! Try it and let us know.
You are kind thanks. I will try and my lawyer says if they get refused he will take it for JR to Federal Court.

farsxp

Apr 19, 2019
You are kind thanks. I will try and my lawyer says if they get refused he will take it for JR to Federal Court.
It is not guaranteed that the judge will look at the case in Judicial Review but I think if God forbid they get refused JR is the only option you have.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Oh thanks for your answer and I will certainly try. No I got mine based on political opinion so it seems it will be difficult. My lawyer says we try and if it won't work he can take it to the Federal Court.
If you have only just received protected person status and are still a PR fighting too hard to get a TRV may backfire. If you seem desperate to get them to Canada there will be concerns that they will try to apply for asylum. Time in Canada, citizenship, visits to see them in other countries, your parents establishing more ties to their home country are all things that can lead to better chances of them getting a TRV. There is a good history of family members claiming asylum when arriving in Canada and not truly visiting which is why getting a TRV can be difficult. If you want them to move to Canada working towards applying for PGP or trying to sponsor them privately for asylum are options.

Reactions: RefugeeBird88

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
You’re kidding right ? Your parents aren’t entitled to get a visa just because you’re here.
What was the reason you put as a reason to come / visit Canada ?
What do you think would have been the outcome if you had put you’d have claimed asylum ?

Last edited:

zak86

Nov 13, 2019
even if you are a Citizen you can't guarantee a visa as your letter of invitation is just a purpose of visit, nothing else I don't understand why people think INVITATION is equal to visa LOL .. TRV can be granted as per their personal profile ie past travel history, ties to back home, their work their properties their bindings to their back home..

derin1010

Oct 18, 2017
Toronto
This information is absolutely incorrect, I know a lot of friends who are either permanent resident and Canadian citizens with refugee backgrounds who have invited their friends and families to Canada on a visitor’s visa.
Just last week a closed friend of mine’s brother arrived with his family on a visitor’s visa. My friend invited them and their visa was granted

Reactions: farsxp

RefugeeBird88

Jul 5, 2022
You’re kidding right ? Your parents aren’t entitled to get a visa just because you’re here.
What do you think would have been the outcome if you had put you’d have claimed asylum ?
First off, I am not kidding. Second, it seems you have ZERO idea what the The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms states. No one can deny the rights to apply for Visiting Canada or Working or Studying in Canada. My parents are genuine visitors and have ALL the rights to apply to visit me and my family in Canada because of the reasons I will present. The reason they can visit is my personal reason that has nothing to do with discussing it in public. I need to mention my status which is PR and IRCC knows the rest. This sentence of yours" What do you think would have been the outcome if you had put you’d have claimed asylum ?" has absolutely no meaning.
STOP barking at people when you have no help other than making meaningless sentences.

RefugeeBird88

Jul 5, 2022
even if you are a Citizen you can't guarantee a visa as your letter of invitation is just a purpose of visit, nothing else I don't understand why people think INVITATION is equal to visa LOL .. TRV can be granted as per their personal profile ie past travel history, ties to back home, their work their properties their bindings to their back home..
Who said anything about INVITATION=VISA? Thanks for providing info that I already know. I was just searching for statistics.

RefugeeBird88

Jul 5, 2022
This information is absolutely incorrect, I know a lot of friends who are either permanent resident and Canadian citizens with refugee backgrounds who have invited their friends and families to Canada on a visitor’s visa.
Just last week a closed friend of mine’s brother arrived with his family on a visitor’s visa. My friend invited them and their visa was granted
This is what I am looking for. Statistics! Please provide some more info if you know people who have applied for their parents and succeeded. thanks

farsxp

Apr 19, 2019
Dude, you seriously need to reconsider and watch your language
Entitlements or rights to apply for a visa is for everyone in the world, getting it is decided by the authorities not you bro... Actually having an invitation provides a good supporting documents compared to those who want to visit Canada and have no invitation letter. How do I know? I am a law student and have been working with immigrations lawyers for the past 3 years. So having someone close to the applicant to give him/her an invitation letter increases chances of getting a visa. Just FYI.
Take a chill pill. LOL

farsxp

Apr 19, 2019
This is what I am looking for. Statistics! Please provide some more info if you know people who have applied for their parents and succeeded. thanks
I am interested in this topic so I called 6 immigration lawyers with the help of the lawyer I am working with. They all mentioned the chances of getting a TRV visa for other family members after your citizenship is around 80% and said it is recommended not to apply when you are still PR. They showed me cases that they applied and got visa so it is highly possible after your citizenship.

Reactions: RefugeeBird88