+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee working before arrival of work permit

Mima Canada

Dec 10, 2020
Hello, I claimed my refugee in September. At that time, my lawyer told me that I can work and I have found a job. But this week he is saying that due to COVID, I can not get a work permit. So, do you think I am in trouble? Is it going to influence my refugee request? Should I stop working? Please please help me.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I claimed my refugee in September. At that time, my lawyer told me that I can work and I have found a job. But this week he is saying that due to COVID, I can not get a work permit. So, do you think I am in trouble? Is it going to influence my refugee request? Should I stop working? Please please help me.
Unless you have a WP you can't work and are working illegally. Not sure why your lawyer would tell you to work when you don't have a permit.

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
Do you have either a valid study or work permit? if yes yes you can work until the expiry of the permit (part time only if you have study permit).

If you have neither you should STOP immediately because at the moment you are out of status until you get your new work permit.

If you are doing cash jobs please be careful because those employers can't be trusted and working illegally might JEOPARDIZE your case. If you need financial help you can get financial aid from the government (e.g. Ontario works if you're an Ontario resident) until your work permit is issued.

Good luck