+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee with non refugee family

felik

Jun 7, 2017
i was accepted as a refugee but my husband and 2 kids were denied. we are now PR holder. We want to travel abroad, I have a RTD, can my family use their home country passports since they are not protected persons? My husband’s passport is still valid but the kids passport have expired, are we allowed to renew them? I also think I’m eligible to apply for citizenship as I received my PR in October 2021 and I’ve been a refugee from 2018( Correct me if I’m wrong), is my family also eligible to apply with me at this time?

Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
i was accepted as a refugee but my husband and 2 kids were denied. we are now PR holder. We want to travel abroad, I have a RTD, can my family use their home country passports since they are not protected persons? My husband’s passport is still valid but the kids passport have expired, are we allowed to renew them? I also think I’m eligible to apply for citizenship as I received my PR in October 2021 and I’ve been a refugee from 2018( Correct me if I’m wrong), is my family also eligible to apply with me at this time?

Thank you
Yes the rest of the family should use their. Home country passports while you must use your RTD.

ref19to22

May 18, 2022

Thank you
yes your family can use their home countrys passports and you can renew your kids passports too. regarding citizenship given the dates you shared you are eligible to apply for citizenship.
for your family's citizenship eligibility I believe it depends on a few things like when they got their PR, what their status was before they got their PR and if they were in Canada during that time.
I would use this physical presence calculator to know if they are eligible or not.

felik

Jun 7, 2017
yes your family can use their home countrys passports and you can renew your kids passports too. regarding citizenship given the dates you shared you are eligible to apply for citizenship.
for your family's citizenship eligibility I believe it depends on a few things like when they got their PR, what their status was before they got their PR and if they were in Canada during that time.
I would use this physical presence calculator to know if they are eligible or not.
Thank you for your response

Reactions: ref19to22