+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel document

diyaa

Jul 4, 2018
I have been granted a protected person status two months ago. Can I travel if I apply to a refugee travel document or do I need to be a permanent resident in order to be given a travel document? Is the verification of status form an alternative for the refugee travel document?

I want to travel to Norway does Norway require a VISA from the refugee travel document holders?

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
I have been granted a protected person status two months ago. Can I travel if I apply to a refugee travel document or do I need to be a permanent resident in order to be given a travel document? Is the verification of status form an alternative for the refugee travel document?

I want to travel to Norway does Norway require a VISA from the refugee travel document holders?

Yes, since you are a Protected Person, you can apply for a travel document to visit another country (except the country of your citizenship). As for requiring a visa to travel to Norway, it would depend on your citizenship.

diyaa

Jul 4, 2018
Yes, since you are a Protected Person, you can apply for a travel document to visit another country (except the country of your citizenship). As for requiring a visa to travel to Norway, it would depend on your citizenship.
I was stateless before

xichanmontreal

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018

This information is false ... The visa requirements for a holders of the Canadian travel document for refugees do not depend at all on the original nationality of the person ... Each country voluntarily chooses to grant, or not, access without a visa to the holders From the blue document ... Currently, in Europe, only a few countries accept refugees in Canada without a visa: Germany, Slovenia, Slovakia, and Hungary.

You need a visa to go to Norway.

Reactions: live&love

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
This information is false ... The visa requirements for a holders of the Canadian travel document for refugees do not depend at all on the original nationality of the person ... Each country voluntarily chooses to grant, or not, access without a visa to the holders From the blue document ... Currently, in Europe, only a few countries accept refugees in Canada without a visa: Germany, Slovenia, Slovakia, and Hungary.

You need a visa to go to Norway.
I believe the first part of my answer is right, but thanks for the correction about the second part. I had tried without much success to find specific information about countries which accept Canadian-issued RTD's without visas. But knowing that RTD's are not the same as passports, I should have figured that the OP's country of citizenship is not a determining factor when granting visa-free entry. I guess the best thing to do is for persons in this situation to first contact the embassy of the country to which they want to travel.