+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee travel document (Urgent)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Visiting your home country after re accepted is not a big deal, let nobody cast fear here. Just as you rightly mentioned, if there is genuine and urgent reason for you to do, those guys are human, and they will understand. I have numerous friends that have been traveling to and fro their home country with their RTD, no issues whatsoever. One of them went to visit his wife that put to bed while he was waiting for hearing, another travelled just because it’s been 5years he saw his parents. So, the risk and the caution is there, but not a grave offense, just for your protection.
The cessation cases would beg to differ that it isn’t a big deal to visit your home country. Anyone visiting your home country as a protected person should do so knowing they risk losing their status. It has nothing to do with being human it is about following the rules. It is also about claims that it is to dangerous to be in your home country while being able to return. There are certainly sacrifices that come with claiming asylum but if your life is truly ask risk you are willing to deal with the rules and limitations. It can take up to the point of applying for citizenship (can even be after getting citizenship) that the visit to home countries are discovered and that cessation application against them are filed. The more people who visit their home countries as protected people the more reavailmemt cases are likely to be filed to spread the message that you can’t travel to your home country without risking your status in Canada. The more people who visit their home country as protected people, the more ammunition for those who don’t support refugee programs. The information will be used to prove that Canada doesn’t need to provide protection to people if so many are able to return home.

Reactions: Simba112

Ekemini Kingz

Star Member
Mar 11, 2020
Following the trends of the process of applying for urgent RTD through epost on this platform, I got my 5yrs RTD pick up notice in the mail on Feb 25, 2022 which I picked up at Canada post on Feb 27

I sent my applications and supporting docs through epost on Feb 12 and I received my 5 years RTD on Feb 27
Here is my timeline:

- February 12 sent application

-Sent webform with urgent reason on Feb 10
- Following day I received call from IRCC and agent said he'll sent me Canada ePost link via email.
- Feb 11 I received ePost link via Canada Post. I uploaded necessary documents on ePost Portal

-February 27, I received RTD issued on Feb 17

Thanks all for guidance and your help
Please do I have fill up RTD application form and have guarantor signed it before uploading ?
Ur response will be appreciated. Thanks

kimkemy

Mar 20, 2022
Toronto
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Refugees
This is not a passport, it’s a refugee travel document which different from passport, and it‘s issued only in Gatineau. Thanks for your information tho!
Mine it took almost 2 years. I applied in February/2020 and I received in December 2021. RTD will expire con December 2023.

SSKAA

Star Member
Aug 6, 2021
Mine it took almost 2 years. I applied in February/2020 and I received in December 2021. RTD will expire con December 2023.
it is too long. Why do you think it takes so long in your case?

I've applied on January 5, 2022, still no news.

TIGER123

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
I applied asylum in 2017 in April and my hearing was in October 2017 (granted), took me 1.5 years to get my PR. and now Canadian citizen. my lawyer was ROBERT HUGHES from Vancouver (outlawimmigration.com)

1. DO NOT GO BACK TO YOUR ORIGINAL COUNTRY UNTIL YOU BECOME CITIZEN (even you are PERMANENT residence now) they can take away your status. regardless your situation. even if your parent dies, DO NOT GO BACK! CBSA (border officer) will always find the best way to file cessation or reavailment against you. trust me!

2. YOU CAN'T GO BACK TO your country using RTD and DO NOT APPLY ORIGINAL COUNTRY's PASSPORT or talking to your embassy. are you a genuine refugee thou? that's another questions raised by CBSA if you do so.

3. You can ONLY apply RTD after you are granted asylum in CANADA. so if someone says you can go back to your country and apply RTD while waiting for your hearing, I don't know where did you get that false information. if you are unsure, always talk to your lawyer! not to this forum cause none of us are lawyers and some are acting smart.

4. SIMPLY IGNORE YOUR ORIGINAL COUNTRY first until you become Canadian! thats the golden rule number 1.

5. travel only to your neighboring countries, for EXAMPLE : if you are Iranian, travel to Armenia or Turkey with your RTD and ask your family to see you there. DO NOT SNEAK IN TO YOUR OWN COUNTRY. ONCE CBSA KNOW, you'll get the "reward".

Reactions: Kmlylmz

Shaw1988

Aug 12, 2022
I applied for urgent rtd (epost) August nothing yet... I have an urgent trip coming up end of the month. Been thinking of getting my home country passport... i applied for refugee from rebel group not government so been thinking of using this reasoning plus the delay in rtd. I know a few ppl who traveled with home country passport and the worst that has happened is a delay in the background check during citizenship process. I have never inteded to apply for home country passport but this delay in rtd is making me desperate.

EGYPT

Jun 6, 2020
I applied in August and I missed my flight in October, and I was thinking to do the same!

104romeo

Sep 13, 2022
I applied in August and I missed my flight in October, and I was thinking to do the same!
I asked the officer when I went to pick up my passport from Etobicoke office, He said if you travel with your home country passport it means you are back under the protection of your home country, he also said it takes 6 to 8 months for travel document.
I have lost two job offers because I couldn’t go to US for training, if anyone tried using their passport for traveling, would appreciate the information.
It’s really frustrating.

EGYPT

Jun 6, 2020
can we work in the US with RTD and PR?
do we need a special visa or permit? can you please tell me the steps?

104romeo

Sep 13, 2022
can we work in the US with RTD and PR?
do we need a special visa or permit? can you please tell me the steps?
No you need US work permit, the jobs I’m applying for are in Canada, but since Canada is such a wonderful country they don’t have the equipment for training here hence the need to travel to US for training to get hired in Canada and work in Canada

EGYPT

Jun 6, 2020
to be honest I am looking forward to moving from Canada!!!! Such a waste for talented people!!

TIGER123

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
I applied for urgent rtd (epost) August nothing yet... I have an urgent trip coming up end of the month. Been thinking of getting my home country passport... i applied for refugee from rebel group not government so been thinking of using this reasoning plus the delay in rtd. I know a few ppl who traveled with home country passport and the worst that has happened is a delay in the background check during citizenship process. I have never inteded to apply for home country passport but this delay in rtd is making me desperate.
Good luck if you want to apply your home country's passport.