+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
Anyone apply for RTD recently how long did it take?
I applied in june 22nd and i called today to check and they said they havent even started processing yet. Its been 6 weeks is that normal?
Mine only took literally 17 Days from when i sent the application for me and my Partner and we got it back 17 days after so basically 18 days cause we did same day shipping and stuff. all the best hope you get it soon..

Shaii

Jul 31, 2019
Yes Easy, Yes im Protected Person.

just go here

https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/

apply online for the DS-160: Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application

then

https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-CA/niv/users/sign_in

to pay and schedule interview.

the only document you need is you notice of dessition / PR card.

when you go they will ask you questions you put in the application.

example of the question she asked me

what is your full name?
when did you come to canada
how did you come to canada ( did you have a visa)
do you have family member in canda ( for me i ony have my byfriend so i said no)
do you have family in the us?
do you work / go to school?
why are you going to the us?

okay i have approved the visa enjoy your trip you will get your passport back in the mail in three days.

she lied thou i got my passport back in two days. with the vis inside.

if you have any other question feel free to ask. [
I am a Permanent Resident. I Applied for a Refugee Travel Document, I haven't received it yet. My passport from back home is expired. am I eligible to apply for a US visa?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am a Permanent Resident. I Applied for a Refugee Travel Document, I haven't received it yet. My passport from back home is expired. am I eligible to apply for a US visa?
You’ll need the RTD first. Then you can apply. Don’t use your home country passport just your RTD. Whether you are approved will depend on the US. Your citizenship may be a factor depending on where you are from. Your chances increase if you have been employed for a while and have savings. Best of luck.

icebaby72

Aug 5, 2019
Awesome post +1 for this.

Thank you for sharing this valuable information, many people still not sure whether they can travel or not. And as you mentioned Canada is great country who care about people rights even if they’re Refuges.

Thank you,

Now we need someone to post about the RTD: countries where it doesn’t need visa’s, I have seen this topic floats many times.
Thats a very good point raised, we need to be aware of countries that we can travel to without or with a visa. i need to know if travelling to Australia needs a visa

Ghess23

Apr 11, 2014
Hi guys, did anyone go to Croatia with RTD? I know they say tgat we dont need visa but ima a bit nervous about going (waiting to hear back from my email to the embassy). Iata Travel centre says i dont need it?

aroouae

Jan 17, 2019
Hi guys, did anyone go to Croatia with RTD? I know they say tgat we dont need visa but ima a bit nervous about going (waiting to hear back from my email to the embassy). Iata Travel centre says i dont need it?
Hi, I went to Croatia for one week and it doesn’t need a visa, I have RTD without PR, hope this help

Reactions: FRM and Ghess23

stizmir

Sep 4, 2015
From all the things I read regarding the Canadian RTD (Refugee Travel Doc.) I understand that as I don't have the Canadian Citizenship yet, all the rules apply to my original citizenship is valid for my visa requirements.

A Travel Document (TD) is only a proof of identity for the purposes of travel. It does not bring with it extra benefits. If you needed a visa to enter a country before you acquired the TD you still need a visa to enter that country.
For example, if you are a national of a country where a visa is required to enter the US, you still need a visa to enter, even if you have a TD or a PR Card with a Certificate of Identity. The only way you can change this is by becoming a Canadian citizen, or the citizen of another country which gets visas waived for its citizens. A Travel Document is endorsed for travel to all countries except the bearer's country of citizenship.

*** Except Germany***:
Convention Refugee: Holders of a blue Canadian Travel Document (Convention of July 28th, 1951) do not need a visa for transit and/or short term stay (e.g. for tourism or business purposes for up to 90 days) in Germany. The person can stay up to 90 days in Germany and only after that it is required to apply for a visitors visa. This is according to Section 1 paragraph 2 in connection with Annex I of the Implementing Order of the German Alien Act (DVAuslG).

Therefore if I want to go to Macedonia or Albania, and if I fly straight to Frankfurt and from there I straight fly to Macedonia or Albania, I will beable to travel without a Visa, right?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
From all the things I read regarding the Canadian RTD (Refugee Travel Doc.) I understand that as I don't have the Canadian Citizenship yet, all the rules apply to my original citizenship is valid for my visa requirements.

A Travel Document (TD) is only a proof of identity for the purposes of travel. It does not bring with it extra benefits. If you needed a visa to enter a country before you acquired the TD you still need a visa to enter that country.
For example, if you are a national of a country where a visa is required to enter the US, you still need a visa to enter, even if you have a TD or a PR Card with a Certificate of Identity. The only way you can change this is by becoming a Canadian citizen, or the citizen of another country which gets visas waived for its citizens. A Travel Document is endorsed for travel to all countries except the bearer's country of citizenship.

*** Except Germany***:
Convention Refugee: Holders of a blue Canadian Travel Document (Convention of July 28th, 1951) do not need a visa for transit and/or short term stay (e.g. for tourism or business purposes for up to 90 days) in Germany. The person can stay up to 90 days in Germany and only after that it is required to apply for a visitors visa. This is according to Section 1 paragraph 2 in connection with Annex I of the Implementing Order of the German Alien Act (DVAuslG).

Therefore if I want to go to Macedonia or Albania, and if I fly straight to Frankfurt and from there I straight fly to Macedonia or Albania, I will beable to travel without a Visa, right?
Have you checked with Macedonia and Albania about whether they require a visa or accept an RTD? You can’t use your Turkish passport so although your admission depends on your citizenship it mostly has to do with whether the country accepts an RTD as proof of identify vs a passport.

denrus89

Mar 3, 2016
Hi guys, has anyone traveled to Mexico with RTD and PR? The Mexican embassy in Ottawa says if you have permanent residency you don't need visa but https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/s you do need visa?

I appreciate your help. Thanks
You do not need visa to Mexico with your Canadian RTD. I went there at least 10 times in the past 4 years, so book your trip and go :)
Also, you don’t need it for Cuba, Bermuda, and Dominican Republic - 100% confirmed as I have travelled there before with my RTD.

In addition to that, there are a few European countries in the Schengen zone that waive a visa requirement for the RTD holders - Germany is one of them. 100% confirmed. Also, Italy has recently joined this list - I have applied for the visa to Italy, but they closed my application and said I no longer need a Schengen visa if I’m a RTD holder. Those are the countries I can speak for.
But there are more - I’ve heard Slovenia, Slovakia, and Hungry are in that list too, but I would double check with their embassies just in case.

Reactions: FRM