+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

yonity

Aug 31, 2023
Hi,
As a protected person once you get PR do you still apply for refugee travel document or is it a different travel document?
Thanks!
hey there,
Well as a protected person you gonna need your RTD Refugee Travel Document only if you plan to travel. Keep in mind that it normally take months to get it and once it arrives it will have two years validation and of course you can renew it.

yonity

Aug 31, 2023
To just confirm, my wife is from Iran who arrived here as a refugee and received her PR confirmation few weeks ago. We are awaiting her official PR card via mail delivery. And she also possesses the blue RTD. So would she still need a visa to travel to Italy from Canada?
Hi,
I can guarantee you that she gonna need a visa unless she have a Schengen area Nationality like all of Scandinavian and almost all of European countries excluding Turkey, Belarus and so on.
She can apply directly from here ⬇

https://vistoperitalia.esteri.it/home/en

leoab10

Sep 3, 2023
My agency give me a refugee claim paper but i didn't sure that is real or fake , but he did it with a lawyer . What can i do for it ?

qxoil

Feb 25, 2010
When I became Protected Person in May 2019, I applied for my PR and RTD same time, I was issued a RTD for 2 years I used it to travel to Mexico when I became Permanent Resident in March 2021, I renewed my national passport in order to travel to Pakistan because I was unable to travel to Pakistan with RTD I know I was not supposed to renew and travel to Pakistan but I was getting married and it was during covid pandemic. I went to Pakistan was stuck there for over 6 months due to covid restriction finally arrived to Vancouver in October 2021. I was stopped at the airport for over 6 hours and interviewed by CBSA officer. in December I got a letter from IRB that the minister of Immigration had filled a cessation of my protection, I prepared my case my self as the lawyer was asking $10,000. I had two day hearing was questioned by two different CBSA lawyer finally the application was dismissed and my refugee protection was safe, after a while I needed to travel and had already return my RTD and it was expired so, I called the CBSA hearing officer who has sent me the previous cessation application she confirmed that If you travel on you Pakistani passport you might get another cessation application and if anything happen while you are traveling on Pakistani passport you will be deported to Pakistan not Canada therefore I applied for RTD and send my national passport to them. now I have RTD for 5 years can travel anywhere except Pakistan.
could you please dm me. I need to ask you something thank you

yonity

Aug 31, 2023
My agency give me a refugee claim paper but i didn't sure that is real or fake , but he did it with a lawyer . What can i do for it ?
Hey, you can simply call this number 1 (888) 242-2100 on a working and hours i recommend you calling early morning, and ask an agent the same question, keep UCI number number ready and good luck!

anoopchander

Aug 10, 2020
Hi Everyone, I applied for Refugee Status in 2019. I cancelled (i.e withdrew my claim) for the refugee status in 2021 as I got my PR through Spousal Sponsorship. I got my Passport back as well. I have a Us Visitor Visa B-1 as well. I travelled to New York and the US Side of Niagara Falls recently. When i returned to the Canada side both the times, the CBSA officials took me aside for a separate set of questioning and stuff. Both times they didn't ask me any extra questions but i was made to wait 15-20 minutes extra. The second time the officer said that because I applied for a refugee status my file is becoming active and causing an issue. Has anyone faced this before? How long will this continue to happen? Is there any way we can stop this from happening. Can anyone please provide an answer. Thanks

rachelm2000r

Star Member
Aug 19, 2023
Hi there
This situation is so common, it has happened to so many people.
This will stop once you become a citizen if you r lucky.
To cut the story short, once you have applied for aslym !!! It means your life was in danger some how, even though you got ur PR using another channel/path. They need to be sure about : where are you coming from and what was the raison of ur trip. On their system, your PR is flagged.
If you want that statement removed, please call CBSA or IRCC.

lotus2101

Feb 25, 2023
Hello everyone.
I urgently need assistance with my situation. I applied for RTD in June 2022 and after multiple calls and webform submissions, I recently received a letter from CSC Ottawa requesting an additional double-sided copy of my ID, which needs to be signed by my guarantor (in my case, my lawyer).
However, he is currently facing health issues and has just undergone surgery. It will be over a month before he returns to his office, so he won't be able to sign my ID.
I'm at a loss as to what to do at this point. If anyone has experience or advice regarding this situation, please help.
I'd be very grateful. Thank you!

rachelm2000r

Star Member
Aug 19, 2023
Hi there,
Worry for ur lawyer !
Do not panic please. You can go to the nearest police station /prinsect/ office of your area and ask for a Sworn police.
A police who can sign/ put a seal on your copy : both side of ur i.d. (it is free)
If you are scared of the police, you can look for a notary. But he/she might charge you up to 60$ !

Please do not make that mistake of spending extra money for a passport who will expire in 24 months.

Reactions: lotus2101

Meplusyou

Aug 7, 2022
Anyone travelled VIA france before with RTD?

Will there be problems changing flights/ few hours layover because of RTD?

any info I should know before hand?

Most of these info is online but its a bit more reassuring from someone that’s actually been through the rigmarole

thanks
Hi, I have traveled through France with refugee travel document in 2 separate occasions. First in 2021 and again in 2022 with 6 hours layover no issues at all. I am still traveling in the coming months through Paris France again.

elonaaa1

Mar 18, 2020
Hi there
My fiancé has applied for the travel document on March 2022. I called and the agent told me its on hold because of the notice of seizure. He doesn’t have it. Does anyone know how to get it?