+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

soliver

Dec 28, 2022
Hello friends. I need your advice. I applied for a Refugee travel document 9 months ago, and about 1.5 months ago, when I called IRCC, the officer said they called me for verification. However, I missed the call. What should I do next? I urgently need this. Please show me a way. ://

Moe_2023

Star Member
Jun 30, 2023
Hi Guys,
I just called IRCC, and an agent told me all the assessments are passed, and your application is waiting for a final decision. What does it mean?
How long does it take to finalize my application and send me the RTD?
Thanks,

Masjuy

Dec 6, 2020
Hi Guys,
I just called IRCC, and an agent told me all the assessments are passed, and your application is waiting for a final decision. What does it mean?
How long does it take to finalize my application and send me the RTD?
Thanks,
It seems they say the same thing to many people, assessment passed, sent for printing. I am waiting after the same answer 2 months. Applied in January this year.

rachelm2000r

Star Member
Aug 19, 2023
It means, forget about it now.
Ircc are failing us.
We are all waiting and they don't care about protected person.
If you wish to live in peace, for the next 2 or 3 months forget about it. Unless we see a miracle.

Aug 24, 2023
Has anyone traveled to Italy from Canada with a RTD (Blue Travel Document) ? If yes, did you have to apply for a visa? I see conflicting information on several websites and the Italian embassy doesn't appear helpful (just a number with an automated response). Any help would be great.

Jok Sue

Star Member
Nov 2, 2020
Has anyone traveled to Italy from Canada with a RTD (Blue Travel Document) ? If yes, did you have to apply for a visa? I see conflicting information on several websites and the Italian embassy doesn't appear helpful (just a number with an automated response). Any help would be great.
No visa required as long you book a direct flight to Italy. Done Italy and Germany a few months ago with no issues at all.

yonity

Aug 31, 2023
hey hi, you can of course travel to Italy with your RTD but regarding the visa it really depends from your situation let me give you few examples here, lets say if you’re a European citizen you definitely need no visa but keep in mind that as a refugee you cannot go back to your home country or the country you were persecuted until you became Canadian citizen, otherwise you gonna need a electric visa.

Onejourney

Oct 21, 2021
Hi,
As a protected person once you get PR do you still apply for refugee travel document or is it a different travel document?
Thanks!

Aug 24, 2023
hey hi, you can of course travel to Italy with your RTD but regarding the visa it really depends from your situation let me give you few examples here, lets say if you’re a European citizen you definitely need no visa but keep in mind that as a refugee you cannot go back to your home country or the country you were persecuted until you became Canadian citizen, otherwise you gonna need a electric visa.
To just confirm, my wife is from Iran who arrived here as a refugee and received her PR confirmation few weeks ago. We are awaiting her official PR card via mail delivery. And she also possesses the blue RTD. So would she still need a visa to travel to Italy from Canada?

Moe_2023

Star Member
Jun 30, 2023
To just confirm, my wife is from Iran who arrived here as a refugee and received her PR confirmation few weeks ago. We are awaiting her official PR card via mail delivery. And she also possesses the blue RTD. So would she still need a visa to travel to Italy from Canada?
Hi Sir,
I have a question for you. How long did it take for you from the pre-arrival letter to the pr confirming email?
Thanks

1989Khan

Star Member
Feb 18, 2020
When I became Protected Person in May 2019, I applied for my PR and RTD same time, I was issued a RTD for 2 years I used it to travel to Mexico when I became Permanent Resident in March 2021, I renewed my national passport in order to travel to Pakistan because I was unable to travel to Pakistan with RTD I know I was not supposed to renew and travel to Pakistan but I was getting married and it was during covid pandemic. I went to Pakistan was stuck there for over 6 months due to covid restriction finally arrived to Vancouver in October 2021. I was stopped at the airport for over 6 hours and interviewed by CBSA officer. in December I got a letter from IRB that the minister of Immigration had filled a cessation of my protection, I prepared my case my self as the lawyer was asking $10,000. I had two day hearing was questioned by two different CBSA lawyer finally the application was dismissed and my refugee protection was safe, after a while I needed to travel and had already return my RTD and it was expired so, I called the CBSA hearing officer who has sent me the previous cessation application she confirmed that If you travel on you Pakistani passport you might get another cessation application and if anything happen while you are traveling on Pakistani passport you will be deported to Pakistan not Canada therefore I applied for RTD and send my national passport to them. now I have RTD for 5 years can travel anywhere except Pakistan.

Reactions: qxoil