+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

Whiskey2020

Apr 8, 2020
I appreciate God, I came back from work yesterday to meet the RTD I applied for last year in December, delivered. I am set to tour US and Africa now, been 3years here. I applied online, printed the documents out, purchased a money order at the post office and posted via same Canadapost with a registered mail. Everything cost me approximately $150. When the document arrived, I saw that it was processed since 31st January. I thank God.
Did you get your PR already, and was it an normal processing RTD that you did.

031_guy

Star Member
Feb 17, 2022
Hi Guys ....

Have any of you submitted more then one application for your RTD eg. Ottawa and Gatineau addresses ?..............if so, did IRCC ever return one of them back ?
I'm asking because i received a notice of attempt to deliver by Canada post and online it says, its from passport office Gatineau ....so it's either they returning one of my application or Finally sent my RTD :D ...

cpasbirn

Dec 1, 2020
Hi everyone, i will be applying for RTD with urgent request but i'm having trouble finding a guarantor. Is the process the same if i use a statutory of declaration or is it slower?

lotus2101

Feb 25, 2023
June 2022 applied via ottawa mail
January 2023 applied via Gatineau with emergency date of Feb 15
February 28 - RTD mailed via expresspost

You are so lucky.

I had made numerous calls and sent web forms ...before i sent a new application.
I applied on 15, June 2022. I also sent webmail and called 7 times. I haven't known any information

AwesomeDoer

Feb 9, 2023
Did you get your PR already, and was it an normal processing RTD that you did.
I sent via Canadapost, I included a doctor's report from my country for my Dad’s medical needs/attention, then I began sending webforms stating it is urgent and including dates of travel.

cyberlink

Aug 10, 2020
I sent via Canadapost, I included a doctor's report from my country for my Dad’s medical needs/attention, then I began sending webforms stating it is urgent and including dates of travel.
You mean you said you need to get back to your country to take care of your sick dad? Traveling to home country on a refugee travel document?!

AwesomeDoer

Feb 9, 2023
You mean you said you need to get back to your country to take care of your sick dad? Traveling to home country on a refugee travel document?!
Yes, as the plane is flying aloft my country, I will drop from the plane into my country, after all, my document is not stamped into my country .

Zai24

Star Member
Jan 6, 2022
Last edited:

xichanmontreal

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018
The document not only determines whether a visa is required or not... But also whether the blue Canadian travel document RTD (1951 convention) is accepted (A few rare countries of the European Union, in fact, would refuse even attach a visa to the Canadian documents, and do not recognize it)

I will transcribe here directly the information available at this moment, with the country abbreviations to decipher them all... BUT, it must be kept in mind that this information will not always be the same, it will always be necessary to check the latest version.

Version of the document on which I take the information below:

(Tab number ''0'', title: notification of the exel document, ''This publication is based on information communicated by the Member States to the Commission at 01/02/2023'')

BEBGCZDKDEEEELESFRHRITCYLVLTLUHUMTNLATPLPTROSLSK
yesyesyesyesyesyesyes

Conclusion : Spain and Portugal need a visa vor canadian rtd holder ( A visa application seems possible for Spain according to this last document... But not so long ago, a few months back, this document was not even recognized by Spain! )

* Country codes :

European Union (EU)

Belgium(BE)Greece(EL)Lithuania(LT)Portugal(PT)
Bulgaria(BG)Spain(ES)Luxembourg(LU)Romania(RO)
Czechia(CZ)France(FR)Hungary(HU)Slovenia(SI)
Denmark(DK)Croatia(HR)Malta(MT)Slovakia(SK)
Germany(DE)Italy(IT)Netherlands(NL)Finland(FI)
Estonia(EE)Cyprus(CY)Austria(AT)Sweden(SE)
Ireland(IE)Latvia(LV)Poland(PL)

See here : https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php?title=Glossary:Country_codes

2.2.1. States
yes = visa exempted
CountriesCategory of personsBEBGCZDKDEEEELESFRHRITCYLVLTLUHUMTNLATPLPTROSLSKFISEISNOCHLI

CANADARefugeesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes
CANADAStateless personsyesyesyesyesyesyes

Last edited:

Obvious

Feb 28, 2023
Dear people please advise:

Protected person is going to apply for PR application for her and husband. She got married after receiving protected person status. (Husband was not in her refugee claim). Which stream should they use? Just regular one which is used for protected person? Should marriage pictures be uploaded there in this case?
Thank you

AwesomeDoer

Feb 9, 2023
Dear people please advise:

Protected person is going to apply for PR application for her and husband. She got married after receiving protected person status. (Husband was not in her refugee claim). Which stream should they use? Just regular one which is used for protected person? Should marriage pictures be uploaded there in this case?
Thank you
Since it is after you became protected person that you got married, you can now include his name. There are places on the form where you will include dates of marriage and subsequently upload the marriage certificate. That’s all.