+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

2MM22

Star Member
Mar 2, 2019
Hi everyone.

I applied for RTD in April 8 and after exactly one month they asked for notice of seizure of my passport. I send the document form then. Overall it has been 2 months already. Anyone with the same experience?
Thanks.

easytiger

Feb 16, 2019
Hi everyone.

I applied for RTD in April 8 and after exactly one month they asked for notice of seizure of my passport. I send the document form then. Overall it has been 2 months already. Anyone with the same experience?
Thanks.
I applied I applied for mine on the 20th of March, my whole application was sent back to me because the said the passport photos are not clear enough. Again I resubmitted my application on the 10th of April, a month later I called them and they said that they need to verify some informations from me, they said they sent me a letter which I didn’t receive until three weeks after I last called them. To avoid any further excuses I went to their office myself this last Monday because I’m running out of patience with them and I have urgent travel plan. When I got to their office I gave them the so called information they need and they said I can come pick my travel document up the following day. I went back there and they gave me another excuse that their printing machine was down. I was like ok you can mail it
to my address when it’s ready. On Thursday I got a voicemail from them saying that my travel document is ready for pick up, I was like what the hell is wrong with this people because I already told them to mail it to my address. Now I’m still looking for someone to go pick it up for me because I don’t know anyone in Gatineau(I live in london and drove 7hrs when I went there). Overall the travel document agents are tardy and would delay your application for no reason. I would advise anyone who has a sooner travel plans to go to the office and apply instead of the normal mailing application.

2MM22

Star Member
Mar 2, 2019
I applied I applied for mine on the 20th of March, my whole application was sent back to me because the said the passport photos are not clear enough. Again I resubmitted my application on the 10th of April, a month later I called them and they said that they need to verify some informations from me, they said they sent me a letter which I didn’t receive until three weeks after I last called them. To avoid any further excuses I went to their office myself this last Monday because I’m running out of patience with them and I have urgent travel plan. When I got to their office I gave them the so called information they need and they said I can come pick my travel document up the following day. I went back there and they gave me another excuse that their printing machine was down. I was like ok you can mail it
to my address when it’s ready. On Thursday I got a voicemail from them saying that my travel document is ready for pick up, I was like what the hell is wrong with this people because I already told them to mail it to my address. Now I’m still looking for someone to go pick it up for me because I don’t know anyone in Gatineau(I live in london and drove 7hrs when I went there). Overall the travel document agents are tardy and would delay your application for no reason. I would advise anyone who has a sooner travel plans to go to the office and apply instead of the normal mailing application.
Thanks a lot for your reply. I live in Hamilton and really cannot drive there, maybe I give them a call (that I do not think they will pick it up before an hour). The letter that they sent to me asking for Notice of Seizure was dated April 23 and I received it May 8.

GioReyes94

Oct 21, 2018
Man this is wrong. Please don't share wrong info and misguide people! In Europe, Germany is the only country that does not require visa using RTD.
It's true that France requires a Visa but there a re more countries that you don't need a Visa like Hungary and Czech Republic, you can check it on their embassy webpages

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It's true that France requires a Visa but there a re more countries that you don't need a Visa like Hungary and Czech Republic, you can check it on their embassy webpages
Would encourage people to doublecheck with the embassy before booking any tickets. Getting an email response would be best and I would explain that you are an accepted refugee in Canada without a passport but with a refugee travel document from Canada. Embassy employees are not always familiar with things like Canada’s refugee documents.

aroouae

Jan 17, 2019
Hi guys,

just wanted to update you regarding Italian visa for RTD without PR, i went today to the embassy in Ottawa and give them my RTD to check if i need a visa and they told me that i dont need a visa for 90 days and they give me a letter from the embassy saying that with their stamp and signature.

hopefully this help.

regards,

Reactions: Ghess23 and nassb

Ollyvick

Dec 11, 2018
Hello please with a Canadian travel document how many times can I travel a year? Please I need a quick response God bless you. My PR is stil under processing

xichanmontreal

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018
Hi guys,

just wanted to update you regarding Italian visa for RTD without PR, i went today to the embassy in Ottawa and give them my RTD to check if i need a visa and they told me that i dont need a visa for 90 days and they give me a letter from the embassy saying that with their stamp and signature.

hopefully this help.

regards,
There is a lot of confusion on this point. The embassy and the consulate in toronto say that you do not need a visa ... The Montreal Consulate says yes. Iata's official tool also says yes (this is the one used by flight attendants = access to the aircraft will be denied, flight attendants trust only the tool, not your paper) .

Best thing to do: take your direct flight to Frankfort.

aroouae

Jan 17, 2019
Is there any travel limits per year for RTD ? I never heard about this hope
There is a lot of confusion on this point. The embassy and the consulate in toronto say that you do not need a visa ... The Montreal Consulate says yes. Iata's official tool also says yes (this is the one used by flight attendants = access to the aircraft will be denied, flight attendants trust only the tool, not your paper) .

Best thing to do: take your direct flight to Frankfort.
HI
well as i said in my statement above that (they didnt only told me) but they gave me a letter as approve because i told the embassy officer that there is a lot of confusion about the visa for RTD for Italy he told me that is why we issue a letter from the embassy and give it to applicants to show that they dont need a visa and he told me you can show it any one asking for visa.

xichanmontreal

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018
Is there any travel limits per year for RTD ? I never heard about this hope

HI
well as i said in my statement above that (they didnt only told me) but they gave me a letter as approve because i told the embassy officer that there is a lot of confusion about the visa for RTD for Italy he told me that is why we issue a letter from the embassy and give it to applicants to show that they dont need a visa and he told me you can show it any one asking for visa.
The problem is not the embassy ... The problem is the flight attendants who record the bags and give you the bording pass: They have instructrion to refer STRICTLY to the results of the official tool of OACI ( IATA).

He will judge according to what he has in the tool, the paper will have no legal value. (The airlines do not take NO CHANCE with these things, because if they make a visa error, the deportation costs of the person will be at their expense).

If you want to play your luck at Russian roulette, this is your busniess.

Here's what the agent will have on his screen:

https://www.noelshack.com/2019-24-2-1560209258-italy-visa-requirement.jpg
https://www.noelshack.com/2019-24-2-1560209258-italy-visa-requirement.jpg

Skyline2019

Feb 14, 2019
Hello,
I am asking for a friend..
shes a convenient refugee with a RTD (no pr) she wants to travel to iraq for religious purpose, and her transit would be in dubai. Could you please tell whether iraq accepts rtd and also transit in dubai wont be any problem???

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other

nassb

Feb 5, 2019
Hey guys,

I’m thinking of going to Turkey for holidays, but it seems that they require that i apply for visa, did anyone here have an experience with the turkish consulat or their visa process? Also does anyone have a list of countries where i can go without a visa? Nationality is Moroccan and i hold a 1951 blue canadian travel document.

Thank you
Yes you need to apply for the visa through the Turkish consulate in Toronto. It takes 1.5 to 2 months to get.

Reactions: Ghess23

KatbiyaNazi

Jun 13, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I have never been member of any forum and have always been someone who reads quietly and do not interact.
But going through the same situation as all of you, I felt that there is an information lacking on the forums as well as on the Canadian Immigration's website and I myself as a single parent right now in Canada, find it essential for families with kids.

Refugee Travel Document process is different and much longer when it comes to minor kids with single parent in Canada.
I applied for Refugee Travel Documents for myself and my minor child , both as recently approved protected persons.
I got my own first RTD valid for 2 years after 6 weeks of application submission.
However, for my minor child, I received a letter from the Gatineau Office (we are located in Ontario), around 2 weeks after I got my own RTD, asking for my child's other parent who is not in Canada (has never been) to go to the nearest Canadian Consulate and sign PPTC-028 Consent Form while providing original ID documents.
So PPTC-028 is a form provided by the Canadian Consulate/Embassy/High Commission to the parent outside Canada, to fill out and sign IN PERSON ONLY.
Once the form is signed, the Canadian Consulate/Embassy/High Commission sends the signed form electronically along with copies of ID documents to the Gatineau Office in Canada.
And once they receive this document, the Gatineau authorities start counting ANOTHER 20 working days in order to process the child's RTD application.
So, now I am waiting for my child's RTD.

The part that I do not agree with is that why is this information NOT mentioned on the immigration website so that people know, plan and expect accordingly.
However, no complaints as compared to our native countries for sure. So all is well that ends well :)

Wish you all best of luck and I hope this information would be useful for some of you.