+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee status cessation and PRs applying for citizenship

sopranotb

Star Member
Jul 18, 2015
dpenabill said:
I have not seen any new sign that the Liberals will adopt legislation to remove the statutory provisions mandating cessation of status resulting in loss of PR status (not just protected person status). Absent that, the law continues to put refugees or protected persons at risk of losing PR status if they obtain their home country passport, and more so if they also travel to their home country.

I have not really been on the fence about this. There are aspects that are not known. Mainly we do not know what the current government's approach to cessation is, to what extent the government is examining or investigating indications of re-availment, or pursuing cessation if such indications are identified. Not knowing the government's position, in conjuction with the law still being what it is, the prudent thing is to avoid being in circumstances which could support a cessation proceeding.

Explanatory Observations:

I am not familiar with Gezik. Will attempt to look it up when I have some time.

As I noted before, the certified question in Esfand was narrowly drawn and really was more about whether a family member, rather than the person who had protected person status, could be subject to cessation. While the outcome of that case, being withdrawn, is consistent with IRCC and CBSA taking a less severe approach to applying the cessation provisions, it does not necessarily signal to what extent.

In particular, it does not signal that those PRs with refugee status, who apply for citizenship, will not be subject to cessation proceedings if they have obtained their home country passport and traveled to their home country.

Reminder, in late April the Court of Appeal decision in the Obaidullah Siddiqui case affirmed the cessation of PR status. See http://canlii.ca/t/grsb2

Again, I would not describe my view as on the fence. My view is that the scope of the government's enforcement and application of the cessation provisions is currently unknown, with some indications that IRCC and CBSA are not pursuing these cases as aggressively as when Alexander was the Minister of CIC, but that is not an indication the government is not or will not pursue cessation proceedings.

Without knowing how aggressively the government is currently applying the current law (with no proposal to change the current law so far as I have seen), I am not on the fence at all: the prudent course of action continues to favour being caution; thus, the prudent thing would be to not obtain a home country passport and not travel home, until Canadian citizenship is obtained. For those who already did obtain a home country passport, and especially those who also traveled home, avoiding any more travel using the passport seems the prudent thing to do. Until something more definitive happens.
Common man.. See this discussuion it is pretty clear:

[Expand]
Ms. Jenny Kwan (Vancouver East, NDP):
Madam Speaker, I am calling on the Liberal government t repeal the cessation provisions of Bill C-31, Protecting Canada's Immigration System Act.
Bill C-31 came into force on December 15, 2012, and it is retroactive. Cessation applications are being brought against permanent residents because it is alleged that refugees have re-availed themselves of protection by temporarily travelling back to their country of origin. No matter that the conditions of the country of origin have changed, no matter that they are going back to see a dying relative for one last time, no matter that the law did not exist at the time of travel, people are at risk of losing their permanent resident status.
This law effectively created a two-tier system for permanent residents: those who could travel back to their countries of origin without repercussions and those who could not. This is to say that refugees who gained their permanent resident status legitimately could lose their PR status for returning to their country of origin for a visit. No other permanent residents face this risk. These permanent residents are fully integrated and settled into Canadian society, gainfully employed, have Canadian-born children, and are contributing to Canada. To be clear, cessation cases do not involve fraud or misrepresentation.
Let me share with members the story of the Esfand family. Mrs. Bahareh Esfand and her first daughter were classified as refugees under the principle of family unity. They originally came to Canada under the government's sponsor refugee resettlement program because her husband was found to be at risk in Iran. Since their arrival in Canada, Mrs. Esfand gave birth to her second daughter in Canada. The Esfand family is now a well-established, self-supporting family of four, who have called Canada home for the last 10 years.
When Mrs. Esfand applied for her citizenship, it triggered the cessation process, and the government is trying to revoke her status here. It is alleged that because she returned to Iran to see her family, she should cease to be a refugee, lose her permanent resident status, and be ineligible for citizenship.
Even though Mrs. Esfand's husband and her two children are Canadian citizens, CIC has frozen her 2011 citizenship application and is trying to revoke all her status in Canada. If it is successful, she will be removed from Canada, away from her children and husband, and deemed as a foreign national with no status in Canada. She has been fighting against this and is now defending the third court case filed against her by CIC. She has also been forced to file her own case to lift the freeze on her citizenship application.
Surely, any reasonable person can see the absurdity of this. By the way, Mrs. Esfand was not a refugee at risk in the first place, only her husband was, and she came under family unity.
Her case is just one among many. Through FOI, an internal document show that an annual target of a minimum of 875 vacation or cessation cases has been set for CBSA to execute. As a result, refugees are being investigated, their PR status ceased, and cases are ending up in court. This even applies to those who come from countries where there is a moratorium on removals and those who are still at risk if returned. This just makes no sense.
As we know, in real life, people travel to visit a sick or dying family member or for other legitimate reasons. To top it all off, the investigations for some of these families are triggered when they apply for citizenship. Now we are hearing reports that people are afraid to apply for citizenship. How much of taxpayer money is being wasted on cessation cases? How many officials are working on cessation cases instead of processing the backlogs of family reunification cases? How many cases has the government targeted? How many people have been deported? These are the questions that people are asking.
(1945)

[Expand]
Mr. Arif Virani (Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, Lib.):
Madam Speaker, I thank the member for Vancouver East for raising this important issue in the House and for her continued advocacy on the part of immigration issues as the opposition critic.
This is an important debate on cessation issues in the former Bill C-31 enacted by the previous government, and the impact it has on permanent residents.
The hon. member for Vancouver East has asked a very important question, and has raised this previously with our government. In fact, the government is in absolute agreement with the hon. member for Vancouver East on the need to review this very important piece of legislation and its impact since it was enacted under the former Bill C-31.
We have, in this country, a long and proud tradition of providing protection to those in need. We have one of the fairest and most generous immigration and asylum systems in the world. Our immigration laws are applied impartially, they are based on facts, and they are meant to accord with due process.
The authority of the independent and quasi-judicial IRB, the Immigration and Refugee Board, to determine whether an individual's refugee protection has ceased is not itself a new provision. It actually predates the 2012 asylum system reforms. As well, it is important to specify that the authority to revoke permanent resident status, including the permanent resident status of a refugee, also existed before Bill C-31.
However, what is very troubling about Bill C-31 is that under the 2012 reforms enacted by the previous government, cessation of protected person status was added as grounds for losing one's permanent resident status. That effectively meant it was double-barrelled. That meant that both protected person status and permanent resident status now end simultaneously once a refugee in Canada has demonstrated that they are no longer in need of protection.
The minister, himself, has said in the House that he agrees that the legislation, which has been identified by the member for Vancouver East, is part of a long legacy of matters inherited from the previous government that our government desperately wants to review, and will review.
As members know, we are not at liberty to discuss particulars of a specific case due to privacy considerations, but the minister has expressed public sympathy with the point the hon. member is raising. I can assure the House that the government is reviewing policies and legislation introduced in recent years with a view to developing proposals to improve them.
In a relatively short time, and I will demonstrate to the House a number of measures we have taken in short order to address the legislative initiatives of the previous government that were very problematic.
For example, in terms of the government's respect for the rulings of the Federal Court, the Federal Court had found in December 2011 that the policy requiring the removal of face coverings to take the oath of citizenship was unlawful. We agree with that decision; the previous government did not. We dropped the appeal of that decision to the Supreme Court of Canada. That is the case of Ishaq v. Canada.
Another example of us being more than willing retract and retrench on legislation by the previous government is rescinding the legislation that came in under Bill C-24. We have introduced amendments to the Citizenship Act that members of the House will be familiar with. Bill C-6 makes it easier for applicants to meet citizenship requirements and helps encourage their sense of belonging and connection to Canada. It also eliminates the two classes of citizenship that were perpetuated by the previous government, which we stood fundamentally against and campaigned against.
Another example of our government's review of existing procedures that help to promote greater openness and better processing is our response regarding Haitian and Zimbabwean nationals. On February 4 of this year, the Government of Canada announced that Haitian and Zimbabwean nationals in this country would be provided another six months to apply for permanent residence on humanitarian and compassionate grounds—
(1950)

[Expand]
The Assistant Deputy Speaker (Mrs. Carol Hughes):
We have to resume. The hon. member for Vancouver East.
[Expand]
Ms. Jenny Kwan:
Madam Speaker, there are laws that are fair and just, and there are laws that are not.
The cessation provisions contained in Bill C-31 is an example of an unjust and absurd law. This law discriminates against refugees by effectively setting up a two-tier system for permanent residents. The way the Conservatives decided to target refugees in this unreasonable and punitive manner is simply un-Canadian.
Canadians welcome refugees to our country. The time has come for Canada to start a new chapter on the world stage. It is time to repeal the cessation provisions of C-31. This was a law that the former Conservatives brought in. The NDP voted against Bill C-31, and so did the Liberals.
I have a private member's bill to repeal the cessation provisions, drafted and all ready to go. Nothing would make me happier than to have the government take my bill and turn it into a government bill.
I urge the government to take immediate action on this urgent situation.
[Expand]
Mr. Arif Virani:
Madam Speaker, our government is very committed to addressing this issue. We are looking at that as part of an overall assessment of the immigration and refugee system in terms of amendments that need to be made to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, speeding up processing time, producing more fairness within the system itself.
Cessation is a problem. Bill C-31 is a problem. I look forward to continuing this discussion with the member for Vancouver East. I look forward to seeing the content of her private member's bill.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Not sure what the "common man" is about.

To be clear, my posts are about reporting the way things are, how the system works, and cautioning those PRs who became PRs as refugees or protected persons what the risks are. There is still reason to exercise much caution.

And again, I am not on the fence: I am quite sure that PRs with refugee or protected person status should continue to exercise caution. That is, they should avoid or at least minimize travel to their home country, avoid obtaining a home country passport, unless and until there is a clear policy change, preferrably at least an actually tabled Bill which proposes to repeal the statutory provisions which automatically terminate PR status if there is a cessation decision terminating refugee or protected person status.

Well, I mean a Bill tabled by the government.

Bill C-294

In contrast, MP Jenny Kwan has indeed tabled her private member's bill, Bill C-294, a couple weeks ago. The prospects for a private member's bill from a minority party, not even the official opposition, are no secret: not good

For the bill itself, see
http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=e&Mode=1&billId=8274877
http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&DocId=8368299

Bill C-294 simply proposes to repeal sections 40.1 and 46(1)(c.1) in IRPA; these are the provisions which make a PR inadmissible if refugee status has been determined to have ceased, which is 40.1(2), and which automatically terminates PR status if there is cessation of refugee status, which is current section 46(1)(c.1)

At the time MP Jenny Kwan made the motion to introduce Bill C-294 she stated:

"I hope that the minister will take this bill and adopt it as a government bill in the Fall."

All that we have heard from the Liberals is agreement that these provisions "need to be reviewed." Not exactly promising change.

My view:

As I said, I am not on the fence: I am quite sure that PRs with refugee or protected person status should continue to exercise caution. That is, they should avoid or at least minimize travel to their home country, avoid obtaining a home country passport, unless and until there is a clear policy change.

I have that view not because I agree with the law, but because it is the law, and because so far there has been no definitive indication from the government that this law will be changed. As long as this remains the law, PRs with protected person status are at risk if they obtain a home country passport and especially if they also travel to their home country. That continues to be how it is.

In particular, Liberal MP Arif Virani, who is the Pariliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, effectively stated that as to cessation, the process is in the hands of the independent and quasi-judicial IRB, only suggesting that the government wants to review both the statutory provisions and the policy, but not really hinting, let alone stating, that cessation proceedings will not continue to be brought against PRs.

The Quoted Parliamentary Exchange (in May):

In addition to what I posted back in May, at the time of this exchange:

All I can glean from that exchange is that NDP MP Jenny Kwan was expressing many of the very same sentiments shared in this topic, that the statutory provisions which took effect in December 2012, extending cessation to apply to refugees and protected persons who are PRs, in effect terminating both protected person status and PR status, have a draconian impact on those affected. She called for the Liberal government to repeal these provisions.

She made the observation that there are reports that people are afraid to apply for citizenship." (And this is probably true; if I was in this situation, someone who obtained a home country passport and had traveled home, I would not take chances. I would not apply for citizenship unless and until there was a more definitive indication from the government that by doing so I would not face cessation proceedings based on alleged re-availment.)

MP Jenny Kwan also asked some important questions:
-- How much of taxpayer money is being wasted on cessation cases?
-- How many officials are working on cessation cases instead of processing the backlogs of family reunification cases?
-- How many cases has the government targeted?
-- How many people have been deported?

Not one of these questions was answered.

Liberal MP and Pariliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, Arif Virani responded, literally,
" . . . the government is in absolute agreement with the hon. member for Vancouver East on the need to review this very important piece of legislation and its impact . . ."

There is a "need to review."

This in no way promises any particular changes. MP Arif Virani reiterates the need for review, and that the government will review these provisions. But then only cites examples of what legislative efforts the government is making to address other problems in the law implemented under the Conservative government. None indirectly, let alone directly, are about the cessation of status based on re-availment for visiting one's home country.

MP Jenny Kwan responded, stating:
"I have a private member's bill to repeal the cessation provisions, drafted and all ready to go. Nothing would make me happier than to have the government take my bill and turn it into a government bill.
I urge the government to take immediate action on this urgent situation."

And in response to this, all MP Arif Virani offered was that he was "looking forward" to "continuing this discussion," and seeing what is in the private member's bill. Not exactly a promise to make changes.

The prospects of a private member's bill from one of the minority parties (that is not even the official opposition let alone the party in government) are no secret. Not good.

And as noted above, MP Jenny Kwan has indeed tabled her private member's bill, Bill C-294, proposing to repeal the cessation provisions affecting PRs, and, as I noted above, she said, at the time of tabling the bill, she hopes "the minister will take it and adopt it as a government bill in the Fall."

In the meantime:

Various organizations continue to have web pages advising refugees or persons with protected person status to not travel to their home country, or apply for or use a passport from that country (at least not until they have become a Canadian citizen).

See, for example

http://ccrweb.ca/en/cessation-basic-information (this Canadian Council for Refugees web page advises against travel to home country "even for a short visit.")

http://owjn.org/owjn_2009/component/content/article/57-immigration-law/340-cessation-and-permanent-resident-status

http://yourlegalrights.on.ca/common-question/how-can-refugee-lose-their-status-canada (this site explicitly cautions about travel screening in the citizenship application process as a way CIC will find out about travel to home country; and goes on to state that "any type of application that asks for information about travel history could put a protected person at risk . . . because it cold lead to the Minister applying for cessation." And remember, it is not really the "Minister" who applies for cessation, but rather a total stranger bureaucrat with in the position of "minister's delegate.")

http://refugee.cleo.on.ca/en/what-cessation-order

Conclusions:

Repeating some of what I have observed before and which so far as I can see still applies:

dpenabill said:
For now, the best hope PR-refugees have is that this government exercises its discretion so as to cease pursuing these cases, at least any new one . . .
dpenabill said:
My best guess is that under Minister McCallum's leadership, and the leadership of PM Trudeau in turn, is that IRCC and CBSA are not likely to aggressively pursue cessation proceedings for those who are otherwise well settled in Canada, perhaps even not much at all against PRs.

BUT, but, there is no guarantee of this. the Esfand case, at least so far as we know at the moment, while perhaps consistent with this, does not overtly support this much.

dpenabill said:
Again, my sense is that this government is probably taking, at the least, a more flexible, generous approach regarding PRs with Refugee status. BUT there is no guarantee of this. Moreover, in particular, the law remains in place to take away the PR status of a person with Refugee or Protected Person status and this can happen due to obtaining a passport from the home country, and in particular if the person obtains a home country passport and uses it to travel to the home country.

In other words: still be careful. Be prudent.

Lola93

Star Member
May 18, 2016
Hi Dear members, happy Canada day.
I have a question I hope somebody can guide me. I got my pr status as a protected person and had two short visits to my home country due to family emergencies, so now I'm about to send my citizenship application. The question is do I need to send proof and explanation of why of those 2 visits in my application? Or just send the regular application and wait for them to ask for this, if they ever do.. Thanks in advance

sopranotb

Star Member
Jul 18, 2015
You have to mention reason for any travel on citizenship application itself so you enter date of travel from to and reason for travel family emergency.. you have to disclose it anyway there and then they may or may not bring a cessation application against you.. to get more idea about whether they will or will not bring a cessation application against you read the full discussion on this post ''Refugee status cessation and PRs applying for citizenship''

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Lola93 said:
Hi Dear members, happy Canada day.
I have a question I hope somebody can guide me. I got my pr status as a protected person and had two short visits to my home country due to family emergencies, so now I'm about to send my citizenship application. The question is do I need to send proof and explanation of why of those 2 visits in my application? Or just send the regular application and wait for them to ask for this, if they ever do.. Thanks in advance
The question you should ask yourself is whether you should apply for citizenship now or wait to see how this issue develops over the next several months or into 2017.

The question many wish they knew the answer to is whether or not IRCC is screening applications by protected persons and, if there are indications the protected person has (or may have) re-availed himself or herself of another state's protection, referring the applicant to CBSA for a cessation investigation.

Under the Harper government, when Minister Alexander, and before him Minister Kenney, were at the helm of CIC, the answer was emphatically yes, that CIC was scrutinizing the applications of PRs with protected person status and making referrals for cessation proceedings. Many of the cases seen in the Federal Court were cessation actions against PRs who had applied for citizenship.

Reminder: the more obvious indications of re-availment are obtaining a passport from one's home country or traveling to one's home country, but especially both.

Reminder: what constitutes re-availment is largely based on the criteria adopted by the UNHCR, not Canadian law.

Reminder: PRs with protected person status who are determined to have re-availed themselves of their home country's protection lose both protected person and PR status, and this renders the individual ineligible for citizenship.

But again, what we do not know currently is whether or not IRCC is screening citizenship applicants for re-availment criteria.

The problem is that the citizenship applicant must disclose (and submit a copy) of all passports, and currently disclose all travel within the previous six years. So the protected person who has obtained a home country passport is giving IRCC that information. So the protected person who has traveled to his or her home country is giving that information. And for someone who has done both, that information is enough information to establish a presumption of re-availment.

But yes, indeed, there are many other factors at play in determining whether one or the other (obtaining passport, or traveling to home country) constitutes re-availment. Brief trips for family emergencies, depending on the circumstances, will support a defense rebutting the presumption of re-availment. Whether that defense will succeed or not depends on multiple factors. But the Protected Person does not get to make a defense before there is a referral for cessation. A Protected Person only gets to explain in response once the proceedings have been initiated.

There are also multiple factors at play relative to obtaining a home country passport. Makes a big difference if the passport is actually used. (Many persons in this situation are led to believe they need their passport to apply for citizenship, so they obtain it for that purpose, but never use it to travel.) And again, especially if it is used to travel to one's home country. (While obtaining a passport alone raises a presumption of re-availment, passport plus travel to home country not only raises a fairly strong presumption of re-availment but has tended to be strong evidence of re-availment.)

My guess is that IRCC is not currently screening closely for re-availment indicators, and not making referrals for cessation proceedings (unless, perhaps, the facts are egregious or there is some indication of fraud in obtaining Protect Person status). But I do not really know. Minister McCallum and others in the Liberal government have said they recognize the need to review this. Under their leadership there is obviously more consideration and flexibility in dealing with refugees generally. But it is not as if they have made any overt statements about policy and they have not overtly supported MP Kwan's Bill C-294.

Personally, before applying for citizenship, particularly if you have also obtained your home country's passport, I'd strongly suggest reviewing your situation with an experienced lawyer who affirms being familiar with the current cessation of protected person status provisions. Make sure the lawyer is familiar with the changes in cessation law that took place in December 2012 and the proceedings which have taken place since then.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Article in today's Star:

https://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2016/07/11/refugee-stripped-of-right-to-stay-in-canada-after-visits-to-parents-when-marriage-crumbled.html

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
scylla said:
Article in today's Star:

https://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2016/07/11/refugee-stripped-of-right-to-stay-in-canada-after-visits-to-parents-when-marriage-crumbled.html
Foremost: for official decisions in the actual case itself, which I have cited and linked multiple times above, see:

For Federal Court decision by Justice Noël upholding RPD determination of cessation see http://canlii.ca/t/gh67g

For the Federal Court of Appeal decision by Donald Rennie, further upholding Siddiqui's cessation of PR status, see http://canlii.ca/t/grsb2

Some of my previous discussions of these decisions are linked, per quotes, below.

Regarding the Star article:

It warrants noting that it is about time there was some media coverage of this issue. Not sure how the matter was brought to the Star's attention, but the current news angle (since the decision to strip Siddiqui of PR status occurred over two years ago, was upheld by the Federal Court well over a year ago, and three months ago further upheld by the Federal Court of Appeal, it being no surprise that Rennie wrote the decision with Nadon agreeing, these being perhaps Harper's two most ardent supporters in all the judiciary) appears to have been the filing of the Private Member's Bill, C-294, by NDP MP Jenny Kwan, which proposes to repeal the provisions which result in the loss of PR status based on a refugee status cessation. I discussed this above, including links to Bill C-294:

dpenabill said:
Bill C-294

. . . [MP Jenny Kwan] tabled her private member's bill, Bill C-294, a couple weeks ago. The prospects for a private member's bill from a minority party, not even the official opposition, are no secret: not good

For the bill itself, see
http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=e&Mode=1&billId=8274877
http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&DocId=8368299

Bill C-294 simply proposes to repeal sections 40.1 and 46(1)(c.1) in IRPA; these are the provisions which make a PR inadmissible if refugee status has been determined to have ceased, which is 40.1(2), and which automatically terminates PR status if there is cessation of refugee status, which is current section 46(1)(c.1)

At the time MP Jenny Kwan made the motion to introduce Bill C-294 she stated:

"I hope that the minister will take this bill and adopt it as a government bill in the Fall."

All that we have heard from the Liberals is agreement that these provisions "need to be reviewed." Not exactly promising change.
The article states that there were 256 cessation cases brought in 2015, which should lead prospective applicants for citizenship, such as Lola93, to pause and very seriously consider the potential consequences BEFORE applying for citizenship. As I stated above, before applying for citizenship, a PR with protected person status who has either traveled home, or obtained a home country passport, and especially one who has done both, such a PR should very seriously consider whether to apply for citizenship or wait to see how this issue develops over the next several months or into 2017.

The Star article offers some insight into the ultimate outcome and its personal impact on the individuals involved (article also discusses the Bermudez case, which in addition to the Siddiqui case I have discussed in some depth above), references MP Jenny Kwan's Private Member's Bill (Bill C-294), but does not point the direction toward rectifying this draconian law.

Moreover, in particular, it fails to illuminate perhaps the most significant aspect of this process: there is no H&C relief, and, moreover, the cessation determination prohibits making an application for PR status for H&C reasons.

Regarding this, see discussions about the Bermudez in previous posts above, including my links to the Federal Court decision in the Bermudez case.

Apart from the penalties imposed by the Criminal Law law itself, for those convicted of serious crimes, this law has far more severe consequences than what can be imposed on a PR convicted of very serious crimes. There is no recourse by way of a pre-removal assessment. No H&C relief . . . no H&C relief available in the cessation proceedings themselves (IAD cannot even consider H&C factors), and no later avenue for seeking status based on H&C grounds.

Again, this is a case I have discussed multiple times above, from recently noting (two weeks ago) that the Federal Court of Appeal affirmed Siddiqui's cessation of PR status in April, as well as going back to November last year:

dpenabill said:
The biggest factor which arises in the typical reavailment case is the obtaining of a passport from the refugee's home country. Both the UNHCR Handbook and numerous Federal Court decisions (including the case you cited, Siddiqui, 2015 FC 329) state (as quoted from the Siddiqui decision) . . . "if a refugee applies for and obtains a national passport or its renewal, it will, in the absence of proof to the contrary, be presumed that he intends to avail himself of the protection of the country of his nationality."
and in April this year:

dpenabill said:
Some additional cessation cases:

Decision by Justice Noël upholding RPD determination of cessation; see http://canlii.ca/t/gh67g (Obaildullah Siddiqui)
Note, I cite and link several cessation cases in the April post.

Also see:

dpenabill said:
In contrast, there was the Obaidullah Siddiqui decision not long after the Bermudez decision. See http://canlii.ca/t/grsb2

Appellate Court Justice Donald Rennie (no surprise) wrote this opinion affirming a Federal Court decision upholding the cessation of Siddiqui's protected person status.

It may be worth comparing the certified questions raised in the Siddiqui versus Esfand cases:

In Siddiqui http://canlii.ca/t/grsb2 the certified question was:

[... D]o the same or substantially the same legal considerations, precedents and analysis apply to persons found to be Convention refugees as to persons found to be in need of protection as members of the Country of asylum class?

Federal Court Justice Noël and then Court of Appeal Justice Rennie agreed: yes. And thus Siddiqui's trips to Afghanistan supported the cessation of protected status and loss of PR status.

To Advocate Reform:

Write your MP and urge the MP to support MP Jenny Kwan's Private Member's Bill C-294; for those whose MP is a Liberal, urge the Liberal government to make this a government sponsored Bill.

Write Minister McCallum and likewise urge the Liberal government to make Bill C-294 a government sponsored Bill or at the least to reform these provisions.

Additionally, IRCC is overtly soliciting suggestions, see https://secure.cic.gc.ca/consultations/ViewsOnImmigration-en.aspx?_ga=1.91927386.1599696099.1330634748

From my perspective, this is one of the two biggest issues so far being overlooked by Minister McCallum.

The other big issue, from my perspective, is the need to restore a citizenship applicant's right to appeal. Bill C-24 retained the right of appeal for CIC (now IRCC) but took away any right of appeal for applicants, leaving applicants only a right to request leave for judicial review. The impact of this has more negative consequences than merely limiting the rights of the specific individuals affected, but has an impact on what issues Federal Court justices issue formal written opinions regarding, and this is extremely important information for the public. This has to do with interpretions of law, the application of law, the standards employed, and how all this applies in various factual scenarios. For example, a huge, huge share of the information I share in this and other forums derives from the official decisions interpreting and applying the law. So, for those who will submit suggestions, I urge you to suggest restoring an applicant's right of appeal.

Lola93

Star Member
May 18, 2016
All those cases I had been reading about started during Harper's time I wonder where can we find cases that started cessation process during 2016. I know it doesn't matter because the law it's in effect, but I just wonder how is Cic managing these cases this specific year.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Lola93 said:
All those cases I had been reading about started during Harper's time I wonder where can we find cases that started cessation process during 2016. I know it doesn't matter because the law it's in effect, but I just wonder how is Cic managing these cases this specific year.
That is precisely the question.

And given the Minister's tepid response, at best, to statements made by MP Jenny Kwan, and no response (thus, so far, not supportive) regarding Kwan's Private Member's Bill, Bill C-294, it is not clear how IRCC, or CBSA, is approaching application of this law.

Thus, prudence suggests waiting to see if there is some stronger indication from this government.

Note, too, it is not entirely certain that all 256 cases initiated last year were in fact while Harper was PM. Whether or not some cessation proceedings were initiated in November and December last year is an unknown. Whether, or perhaps more to the point how many cessation cases were initiated so far this year, is the bigger question. (Some cessation proceedings are likely, at least in more egregious and blatant cases.)

And, we do not know the breakdown between cessation cases generally, versus those brought against PRs, versus those brought against PRs after the PR has applied for citizenship. The last statistic, particularly for this year, should tell the tale.

Waiting is hard. It is especially hard recognizing that citizenship will immunize an individual from cessation proceedings. (It used to be, until December 2012, that obtaining PR status immunized the protected person from cessation.) Refugee advocates and community service advisers strongly suggest that refugees and protected persons obtain citizenship as soon as possible. But for those who have already obtained a home country passport, or traveled home, and especially those who have done both, the consequences of cessation proceedings are brutal . . . and again, there is less recourse (by a lot) for such individuals than there is for those who commit very serious criminal offenses.

I generally steer clear of the how-it-should-be side of things (except occasional references to more obvious injustices or unfairness, like recognizing excessive processing times are unjust, unfair, and need to be addressed), but as I already noted, this is one issue regarding which I overtly support advocacy for reform, along with advocating restoration of the right of appeal.

Additionally, in the meantime, those in this situation probably should avoid using a passport obtained from their home country, and avoid any further travel to the home country, until there is more clarity about the direction IRCC is taking.

sopranotb

Star Member
Jul 18, 2015
dpenabill said:
That is precisely the question.

And given the Minister's tepid response, at best, to statements made by MP Jenny Kwan, and no response (thus, so far, not supportive) regarding Kwan's Private Member's Bill, Bill C-294, it is not clear how IRCC, or CBSA, is approaching application of this law.

Thus, prudence suggests waiting to see if there is some stronger indication from this government.

Note, too, it is not entirely certain that all 256 cases initiated last year were in fact while Harper was PM. Whether or not some cessation proceedings were initiated in November and December last year is an unknown. Whether, or perhaps more to the point how many cessation cases were initiated so far this year, is the bigger question. (Some cessation proceedings are likely, at least in more egregious and blatant cases.)

And, we do not know the breakdown between cessation cases generally, versus those brought against PRs, versus those brought against PRs after the PR has applied for citizenship. The last statistic, particularly for this year, should tell the tale.

Waiting is hard. It is especially hard recognizing that citizenship will immunize an individual from cessation proceedings. (It used to be, until December 2012, that obtaining PR status immunized the protected person from cessation.) Refugee advocates and community service advisers strongly suggest that refugees and protected persons obtain citizenship as soon as possible. But for those who have already obtained a home country passport, or traveled home, and especially those who have done both, the consequences of cessation proceedings are brutal . . . and again, there is less recourse (by a lot) for such individuals than there is for those who commit very serious criminal offenses.

I generally steer clear of the how-it-should-be side of things (except occasional references to more obvious injustices or unfairness, like recognizing excessive processing times are unjust, unfair, and need to be addressed), but as I already noted, this is one issue regarding which I overtly support advocacy for reform, along with advocating restoration of the right of appeal.

Additionally, in the meantime, those in this situation probably should avoid using a passport obtained from their home country, and avoid any further travel to the home country, until there is more clarity about the direction IRCC is taking.
If you go to bill c 294 link: https://openparliament.ca/bills/42-1/C-294/

Go down to the end then click on see more you will see this sentence: (Motions deemed adopted, bill read the first time and printed)

Does this mean bill now is adopted by Liberals or no? sorry not familiar with these law terms..

It is weird because for example if you go to next bill to c 294 which is c 295 which was introduced same day 15 June and is private member bill as well does not have the same sentence of (Motions deemed adopted, bill read the first time and printed) here is the link for c 295: https://openparliament.ca/bills/42-1/C-295/

Same if you randomly choose another private memeber bill for example c 287 which was introduced on 8 June 2016 here is the link: https://openparliament.ca/bills/42-1/C-287/?tab=mentions it does not have the sentence of (Motions deemed adopted, bill read the first time and printed).. What do you think dpenabill?

frankwhyte22

May 1, 2016
sopranotb said:

Go down to the end then click on see more you will see this sentence: (Motions deemed adopted, bill read the first time and printed)

Does this mean bill now is adopted by Liberals or no? sorry not familiar with these law terms..

It is weird because for example if you go to next bill to c 294 which is c 295 which was introduced same day 15 June and is private member bill as well does not have the same sentence of (Motions deemed adopted, bill read the first time and printed) here is the link for c 295: https://openparliament.ca/bills/42-1/C-295/

Same if you randomly choose another private memeber bill for example c 287 which was introduced on 8 June 2016 here is the link: https://openparliament.ca/bills/42-1/C-287/?tab=mentions it does not have the sentence of (Motions deemed adopted, bill read the first time and printed).. What do you think dpenabill?

The first real stage in the legislative process is the introduction and first reading of a bill in the House. The notice period having elapsed, the sponsor of the bill, once ready to do so, notifies the Chair of his or her intention to proceed during Routine Proceedings when the rubric “Introduction of Government Bills” (if the sponsor is a Minister) or “Introduction of Private Members’ Bills” is called. Leave to introduce a bill is granted automatically, and the motion is deemed carried, without debate, amendment or question put.[154] A Minister seldom provides any explanation when requesting leave to introduce a bill, but may do so.[155] On the other hand, a private Member normally provides a brief explanation of the bill he or she is introducing in the House.[156]

First reading allows a bill to be formally brought before the House, printed and distributed to all Members.[157] It is at that point that it is assigned a specific bill number. Passage of the motion for first reading involves no commitment on the part of the House beyond agreement that the bill be made generally available for the information of Parliament and the public.[158] No discussion is permitted at this stage. Once leave to introduce the bill has been granted, the Speaker proposes the following motion to the House: “That this bill be read a first time and be printed”. The motion is deemed carried, without debate, amendment or question put.[159] The Speaker then asks: “When shall the bill be read a second time?”, and answers, “At the next sitting of the House”. The question is in fact a formality which enables the bill to be placed on the Order Paper under the heading Government Orders or Private Members’ Business, as the case may be.[160]

Since Senate bills have already been printed when they are sent to the House of Commons, no request for leave to introduce the bill is required. The motion for first reading is deemed carried without debate, amendment or question put.[161] Senate bills then pass through the same stages as House of Commons bills

http://www.parl.gc.ca/procedure-book-livre/document.aspx?sbdid=da2ac62f-bb39-4e5f-9f7d-90ba3496d0a6&sbpidx=6

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
sopranotb said:

Short answer: My take is the answer is NO, this is NOT any indication the Bill has been adopted by the Liberals. I am not entirely certain of this, but almost certain.

My sense is that the post by frankwhyte22 offers a fair explanation of the process.

Beyond that, here is my longer explanation:

I generally follow legislation like this at the Parliament of Canada website (well, pending Bills proposed by the government anyway; this is the only Private Members Bill I have been following).

For Bill C-294 that is at:
http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&Bill=C294&Parl=42&Ses=1

The only motion I see made for this was the motion “for leave to introduce Bill C-294 . . .”

To see the text of what was said in the House of Commons at the time the Bill was introduced, see:
http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Pub=Hansard&Doc=73&Parl=42&Ses=1&Language=E&Mode=1

(search for “Kwan” to find pertinent part of that day’s record)

I do not know why other Private Members bill do not indicate similarly at the Open Parliament website. I cannot say there were no other motions made regarding Bill C-294. The June 15 session is the only one linked as relevant to this Bill.

I do notice, however, that the transcript for that same day also has the introduction of Bill C-295 by MP Irene Mathyssen, and it similarly indicates a motion “for leave to introduce Bill C-295 . . .” and there is the notation that “Motions deemed adopted, bill read the first time and printed.” While the Open Parliament website, which is NOT a government site (“not even sort of” the disclaimer reads), does not, however, similarly refer to the motions being deemed adopted, my impression is that is entirely incidental, of no significance . . . again, at the time this Private Members Bill, Bill C-295, was introduced, the motion for leave was made and motions were “deemed adopted.”

Still no sign from Minister McCallum or the PM or the Liberals otherwise regarding Bill C-294, or IRCC’s current approach to assessing refugees applying for citizenship if there are, as provided by the UNHRC guidelines, indications of re-availment.

Thus, those whose status is derived from protected person status should probably continue to be cautious. For those who have already applied for citizenship and who either had obtained a home country passport or traveled home, all you can really do is wait to see how things unfold in the processing of your citizenship application. In the meantime, best to not travel home, and best to not travel using a home country passport, and best to not obtain or renew a home country passport. At least pending further information about how the government is approaching these issues.

Lola93

Star Member
May 18, 2016
Dpenabill I have a question, in the forum people only talk about citizenship applications that trigger cessation proces but what about Pr renewals they also ask travel history on those applications. Can those also trigger a cessation process?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Lola93 said:
Dpenabill I have a question, in the forum people only talk about citizenship applications that trigger cessation proces but what about Pr renewals they also ask travel history on those applications. Can those also trigger a cessation process?
Can they? Of course. Any interaction with CBSA or IRCC which brings their attention to the fact that an individual with protected person status has acquired a home country passport or has traveled to the home country CAN trigger the commencement of cessation proceedings.

Is that likely? Wish I knew the answer to that question. I do not. Indeed, I have no idea.

In 2014 and 2015 it was clearly far more likely. Under Conservative leadership there was something of a purge taking place.

My sense is that this government's approach is, at the least, not nearly so aggressive. But as noted above, there really has been little sign of this government moving away from applying the cessation process. Someone in the media, or perhaps someone here could make an Access to Information request periodically to see what statistics there are in relation to the commencement of cessation proceedings.

I do not wish to be excessively alarmist. There is a good chance that this government is not going after PRs with protected person status unless it is an egregious or at least blatant case . . . a PR who appears to have been working or staying for long periods in the home country perhaps . . . But it is not as if we know. We really DO NOT KNOW.

I should further caution: I am no expert. I started this topic last year when I saw some cases which alerted me that this was happening, that citizenship applicants were being screened and then targeted for cessation if there were indications of re-availment per the UNHRC criteria, and it appeared to me that this was not widely known information. Hundreds have been affected. The consequences can be devastating. For many this is clearly draconian. I felt it was important to warn otherwise well-intentioned refugee PRs of the danger this poses.

It is going to take some time before we know more. In the meantime, yes this is indeed unsettling news. Many had no idea the risks they were taking when they obtained a home country passport or traveled home briefly.