xmaanix

May 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello seniors
A friend of mine obtained his origin country passport after refugee pr, but never travelled back to his home country,
Now he applied for citizenship. Can citizenship department forward his case to
Cessation department just because of obtaining his passport and not travelling to
His country ?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
A friend of mine obtained his origin country passport after refugee pr, but never travelled back to his home country,
Now he applied for citizenship. Can citizenship department forward his case to
Cessation department just because of obtaining his passport and not travelling to
His country ?
They can.

Whether or not they will is a different question. There are no clear indications of IRCC's current policies or practices in this regard, EXCEPT it is apparent that their approach is NOT nearly so aggressive as CIC was during the Harper government.

In the absence of travel to the home country, the odds appear to be very good that IRCC will NOT derail or suspend processing the citizenship application pending a referral to CBSA for a cessation investigation. The less the passport was used overall, the more favourable the odds that IRCC will not pursue cessation.

But the UNHCR guidelines do provide that obtaining the home country passport can support a presumption of reavailment, which is a specified ground for cessation.

How it goes can depend on other factors. If this individual has been settled in Canada, used the passport minimally, and never traveled to the home country, as noted the odds appear to be very favourable.

If possible, and particularly if the passport has been used a lot, it may be a good idea to obtain a consultation with an experienced lawyer who is specifically familiar with refugee cases and cessation in particular.

Reactions: Kan786

xmaanix

May 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No. The passport has not ever been used, just obtained it. thank u so much for ur respons

Kan786

Star Member
Jan 19, 2018
Thanks Scylla for such an informative link . Yes In my case I just got my passport a month ago haven’t travelled since 2013 not even just to see my kids .

Kan786

Star Member
Jan 19, 2018
They can.

Whether or not they will is a different question. There are no clear indications of IRCC's current policies or practices in this regard, EXCEPT it is apparent that their approach is NOT nearly so aggressive as CIC was during the Harper government.

In the absence of travel to the home country, the odds appear to be very good that IRCC will NOT derail or suspend processing the citizenship application pending a referral to CBSA for a cessation investigation. The less the passport was used overall, the more favourable the odds that IRCC will not pursue cessation.

But the UNHCR guidelines do provide that obtaining the home country passport can support a presumption of reavailment, which is a specified ground for cessation.

How it goes can depend on other factors. If this individual has been settled in Canada, used the passport minimally, and never traveled to the home country, as noted the odds appear to be very favourable.

If possible, and particularly if the passport has been used a lot, it may be a good idea to obtain a consultation with an experienced lawyer who is specifically familiar with refugee cases and cessation in particular.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
No. The passport has not ever been used, just obtained it. thank u so much for ur respons
It doesn't matter if you never went back to your home country. By applying to renew your home passport, you accepted the country's protection, thus negating your claim of refugee status. Your file could and can still get referred to cessation.

gavendano

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016
It doesn't matter if you never went back to your home country. By applying to renew your home passport, you accepted the country's protection, thus negating your claim of refugee status. Your file could and can still get referred to cessation.
You don't have to be a lawyer to realize that this argument wouldn't stand a chance in Federal Court.
Proving cessation is not that easy, you need strong actions to indicate that you are seeking the protection of your government or that your initial fear has disappeared: the classical example of this is traveling back to your home country.

Of course, you have to be smart and avoid any situation that could trigger a cessation application by CBSA, like not renewing your passport. If you do renew your passport, you might want to prepare yourself for a battle... but as long as you didn't travel back to your home country, used your passport, and have money for a good lawyer, you shouldn't be scared.

Heck if the government ever applied to cessate my PR on the grounds of just renewing my passport I would sue them back and seek damages. Some easy cash right there.

Last edited:

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
You don't have to be a lawyer to realize that this argument wouldn't stand a chance in Federal Court.
Proving cessation is not that easy, you need strong actions to indicate that you are seeking the protection of your government or that your initial fear has disappeared: the classical example of this is traveling back to your home country.

Of course, you have to be smart and avoid any situation that could trigger a cessation application by CBSA, like not renewing your passport. If you do renew your passport, you might want to prepare yourself for a battle... but as long as you didn't travel back to your home country, used your passport, and have money for a good lawyer, you shouldn't be scared.

Heck if the government ever applied to cessate my PR on the grounds of just renewing my passport I would sue them back and seek damages. Some easy cash right there.
All I can say is good luck with that. The onus is on you to prove that you still needed Canada's protection by renewing your old passport. If you are a bona fide refugee that feared for one's life, you would never go back to your own country, thus you would never need to renew your home passport anyway. You still have Canada's protection as PR refugee even with an expired passport.

yazi

Apr 3, 2013
Hi guys,

Is the same rule applies for a wife who got PR because of her husband? Are they also not supposed to go back to their home country? Thanks

Kan786

Star Member
Jan 19, 2018

Kan786

Star Member
Jan 19, 2018

Kan786

Star Member
Jan 19, 2018
“ if you are a bonafied Refugee you wouldn’t go back to your country and thus won’t renew your passport “A- by renewing your passport does not mean at all that you are a person who is just seeking protection on fake bullshit or madeup grounds . B -just by renewing passport could surely cause unnecessary encumbrances and hurdles but it does not mean that immigration or cbsa could parcel back the person to the country ( back home ). This is the most common thing many people would do ( protected person ) that they would renew their passports due to the lack of knowledge of ( new refugee laws and Claus ) not with the intentions of going back . So calm the fuck down sweetheart and stop scarring the shit out of the poor people who are already scared ..

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
UNHCR guidelines, which Canada uses and follows, specify that obtaining a country's passport supports the PRESUMPTION of reavailment. So of course CBSA can proceed with an investigation and bring cessation proceedings if it learns or discerns a refugee-PR has obtained a passport from the home country. Grounds for cessation are legally presumed.

It is a rebuttable presumption. The refugee-PR gets an opportunity to make the case that he or she has not reavailed himself or herself of home country protection. That should be a fairly easy case to win if the only thing indicating reavailment is the obtaining of a passport that has never been used.

Make no mistake, however, the UNHCR guidelines prescribe that EITHER obtaining a home country passport OR traveling to the home country, supports the PRESUMPTION of reavailment. No showing of fraud in obtaining refugee status is necessary; fraud is a totally separate ground for cessation.

BUT, nonetheless, it appears that obtaining the home country passport alone, UNDER THE CURRENT GOVERNMENT (the Harper government took a far more severe approach) is NOT likely to trigger cessation proceedings. IRCC and CBSA are not in the GOTCHA game. They are not engaged in digging up technicalities they can exploit to terminate status and deport people.

So this is wrong. It is correct that traveling to the home country is the more or less classical example of reavailment. BUT again, obtaining the home country passport supports the PRESUMPTION of reavailment. That is strong enough to support cessation. BUT again, the current Canadian government does not appear likely to pursue cessation if this is the only indication of reavailment, and again if this is the only evidence of reavailment it is relatively easy to rebut the presumption. The burden of doing so, however, is on the refugee-PR.

THERE IS A REASON WHY SO MANY ARE CONCERNED THE CHANGE IN LAW, AS IT IS, IS OVERLY HARSH. The Harper government implemented this change back in 2012, and was aggressively pursuing cessation proceedings right up to the 2015 elections. Unless the government adopts legislation to change this draconian law, the next Conservative government could easily resume more extensive and harsh enforcement. Last I knew, NDP MP Kwan, from a riding in BC, was the main MP pushing for a change in this law.

Reactions: Kan786