+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee status cessation and PRs applying for citizenship

technic

Oct 5, 2017
@dpenabill thanks for your detail answer.

I came as a refugee in 2009 and got PR in 2014.

I did renew my origin country passport before becoming PR. But I never travelled on that passport.

Since 2009 when I came to Canada never went back to my home country. Never traveled on my home country passport. Just renewed it once and that was before PR. (That passport expired end of 2015)

Now I have applied for citizenship. I have mentioned that expired passport in my application because it falls into eligibility period.

Do you think it will be a problem to my PR status or citizenship application?

Thanks in Advance.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi

I am a refugee. I never renewed my passport and never went back to my home country since I came to Canada. There's a serious danger if I do so.

Would I have a problem submitting my application for citizenship?

Second question: would I be able to go for a short visit to see my mother after I get Canadian passport ? Would that be an issue with Canadian immigration?

I believe my country of origin government will think twice before persecuting me if I come with Canadian passport.
If you are eligible for citizenship, and have not traveled to your home country and have not obtained a passport from another country including your home country (that is, if you have not done anything which could be deemed reavailment of home country protection), then it would be a good idea to apply for and become a citizen. Whether there are other problems, I cannot guess, but there should be no problem related to cessation.

Once you are a Canadian citizen, that cannot be taken away (unless there was some fraud in the process). Canada does not restrict where you can travel.

Whether you can then go to visit family depends more on whether that country will allow you to enter it and how safe you will be in that country.

@dpenabill thanks for your detail answer.

I came as a refugee in 2009 and got PR in 2014.

I did renew my origin country passport before becoming PR. But I never travelled on that passport.

Since 2009 when I came to Canada never went back to my home country. Never traveled on my home country passport. Just renewed it once and that was before PR. (That passport expired end of 2015)

Now I have applied for citizenship. I have mentioned that expired passport in my application because it falls into eligibility period.

Do you think it will be a problem to my PR status or citizenship application?

Thanks in Advance.
There is nothing in what you posted here which suggests there is going to be a problem. Technically the passport could indicate reavailment, but from what you describe it seems highly unlikely that IRCC will give this much if any attention.

CAUTION: I am NO expert. I have posted about this particular subject in order to alert refugee-PRs of potential problems if they obtain a home country passport or travel to the home country. I have followed up some, but I have not followed other refugee related issues hardly at all. So, I have mostly given a heads-up about this issue, largely because no one else was and it was having an unjust impact on many. And there was some bad advice previously being given (that it is important to obtain a valid passport before applying for citizenship . . . which for refugee-PRs is BAD advice).

Reactions: light88

light88

Star Member
Jul 14, 2014
If you are eligible for citizenship, and have not traveled to your home country and have not obtained a passport from another country including your home country (that is, if you have not done anything which could be deemed reavailment of home country protection), then it would be a good idea to apply for and become a citizen. Whether there are other problems, I cannot guess, but there should be no problem related to cessation.

Once you are a Canadian citizen, that cannot be taken away (unless there was some fraud in the process). Canada does not restrict where you can travel.

Whether you can then go to visit family depends more on whether that country will allow you to enter it and how safe you will be in that country.

There is nothing in what you posted here which suggests there is going to be a problem. Technically the passport could indicate reavailment, but from what you describe it seems highly unlikely that IRCC will give this much if any attention.

CAUTION: I am NO expert. I have posted about this particular subject in order to alert refugee-PRs of potential problems if they obtain a home country passport or travel to the home country. I have followed up some, but I have not followed other refugee related issues hardly at all. So, I have mostly given a heads-up about this issue, largely because no one else was and it was having an unjust impact on many. And there was some bad advice previously being given (that it is important to obtain a valid passport before applying for citizenship . . . which for refugee-PRs is BAD advice).
Thank you !!

CICOtawa

Star Member
Apr 17, 2015
Putting emotions aside, this is a small price you pay for becoming a PR through refugee without going through any requirement like language tests, gaining work experience, saving money, keeping yourself healthy to pass medical exam, … If you want to have a luxury of going back to your home country just renounce your PR status and go back home and reapply through the normal rout.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Hi

I am a refugee. I never renewed my passport and never went back to my home country since I came to Canada. There's a serious danger if I do so.

Would I have a problem submitting my application for citizenship?

Second question: would I be able to go for a short visit to see my mother after I get Canadian passport ? Would that be an issue with Canadian immigration?

I believe my country of origin government will think twice before persecuting me if I come with Canadian passport.
Does your country allow dual citizenship? If it does, your country may only accept you as native citizen despite coming into country with Canadian passport. Canadian authorities may be able to help you if it becomes a problem however if you have dual citizenship, the country of origin will likely only see you as native citizen and may tell Canadian authorities to butt out.

technic

Oct 5, 2017

Thank you, when I got my PR card I did show that passport to IRCC and they put the details of that passport (passport # and expiry) in COPR. The officer told me not to travel on this passport and get a travel document, which I eventually did!

technic

Oct 5, 2017
Putting emotions aside, this is a small price you pay for becoming a PR through refugee without going through any requirement like language tests, gaining work experience, saving money, keeping yourself healthy to pass medical exam, … If you want to have a luxury of going back to your home country just renounce your PR status and go back home and reapply through the normal rout.
Absolutely, putting emotions aside, being a refugee is not a luxury. We cannot streotype all refugees based on few who 'abuse' the system.

Living in developed, accommodating society such as Canada we cannot comprehend that how people are prosecuted in other countries. So much so l personally know some people who are well educated, financially strong, healthy, young etc. But only due to fear of life have to flee their country.

So refugee is never one of the options to immigrate, sometimes it becomes the only option.

Some websites for your study:

http://www.thepersecution.org/
http://www.persecution.org/

Reactions: meyakanor

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

1. There are quite a few Federal Court rulings on Cessation at : https://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/fc-cf/en/nav.do do a search on Cessation, so if you are a refugee in Canada and travel or obtain the country that you claimed against passport, you probably will have problems if you are a PR.

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
An application to cease or vacate a resettled refugee’s protected person status should only be made when there is very strong prima facie evidence to justify such proceedings.

It would go against the objectives of the resettlement program, which aims to fully integrate resettled refugees into Canadian society and to provide a lasting solution to their displacement, if a climate of fear were created due to the potential loss of protected person status.

Please check this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/refugees/resettlement/processing/vacation/index.asp

"Conclusion: Many refugees return to their home country temporarily for a variety of reasons (e.g., to visit sick relatives, to tie up business, to see the situation and assess whether or not it is safe to repatriate). Such returns do not necessarily mean that they can safely re-establish in that country, so the misrepresentation may not be with regard to material facts. If the individual returned home and re-established for extended periods, the facts may be material because they indicate that protection was not justified, and it may be appropriate to refer this case for an investigation."

Last edited:
Reactions: dpenabill

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi

1. There are quite a few Federal Court rulings on Cessation at : https://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/fc-cf/en/nav.do do a search on Cessation, so if you are a refugee in Canada and travel or obtain the country that you claimed against passport, you probably will have problems if you are a PR.
This is a glib, fly-by, and out-of-context comment which ignores the scores of posts above, going back for over two years, which address these issues seriously.

But for the use of "probably," it is somewhat but only superficially accurate, but in the context of recent discussion it is a distraction. In the meantime, many if not most of the important cessation cases are already discussed, cited, and linked throughout the last two years' of posts in this topic. This subject has been discussed in depth. The relevant cases cited and linked.

To the extent it is accurate (even though, again, not in any way responsive to the post you quote or the posts which I was responding to), I would emphasize replacing "probably will have problems" with MAY have a problem. But that is a far more complex subject than what my recent post addressed or the queries it was in response to (but, again, is the subject of scores of researched posts above).

The risk of a problem depends on a lot of the particular facts in the individual case. Any risk of cessation is worth avoiding, so of course refugee-PRs should be cautioned against obtaining a passport or traveling to the home/risk country, recognizing however for some there are compelling circumstances and no feasible alternatives. The latter would be advised to consult with a competent lawyer experienced with refugee matters, and NOT try to do his or her own research (it borders on reckless to suggest otherwise).

And that is two-thirds of why I started this topic, over two years ago, and have continued to express that caution in the course of dozens of posts over these last two plus years. In particular, there was some anticipation that given the change to a Liberal government these risks might go away. They have not, but it appears the risk is not nearly so high as it was when Harper was PM.

The other third of why I started this topic is the subject of my most recent post, the one you quote, the one in response to queries which are NOT about whether to travel to the risk country or to obtain a home country passport. Rather, the subject of these recent queries and my recent post is about the risk of proceeding with a citizenship application if the refugee-PR has already done any of those things which might be perceived as reavailment of home country protection.

This risk is what actually induced me to start this topic (in the summer of 2015) and get the message out: CIC under the Harper government was clearly screening citizenship applicants for possible cessation proceedings. Thus, in particular, it warranted cautioning refugee-PRs who have already obtained a home country passport or traveled to the risk-country, that applying for citizenship could trigger a cessation investigation, leading to cessation, loss of PR status, and thus of course not only failing to become a citizen but losing status to live in Canada.

Recent statistics do not adequately reveal the extent to which this remains a risk. They do reveal that in the first half of this year more than 80 cessation proceedings were commenced. So it is clear that any refugee-PRs who engage in actions which constitute reavailment continue to indeed be at risk for cessation.

But that is well outside the subject discussed in the recent posts. Indeed, one query did not involve either a home country passport or travel to the risk-country at all. The other involved obtaining a home-country passport many years ago, prior to the change in law, prior even to obtaining PR status, and then the passport did not cause any problem at the time this individual went through the process of becoming a PR, even though that was during the peak of the Harper-era crackdown (so to say). That passport was not used and has expired.

Thus, even though technically the obtaining of the home country passport is a fact which can support an allegation of reavailment, in these circumstances there is no hint of actual reavailment or that the current government is at all likely to perceive it as such, let alone suspend the citizenship application and investigate potentially proceeding with cessation.

Reminder: obtaining a home/risk country passport is NOT grounds for cessation. Traveling to the risk-country is NOT grounds for cessation. These may constitute part of the factual basis upon which reavailment is alleged, but whether the refugee-PR has actually reavailed himself or herself of home/risk country protection is its own factual question, and one which depends in significant part on the refugee-PR's intent.

In particular, while obtaining a home country passport can lead to a presumption that the refugee-PR has reavailed himself or herself of home country protection, which would be grounds for cessation, that is a rebuttable presumption. In the absence of ever using the passport, and in the absence of ever traveling to the home country in the meantime, and particularly where the only passport so obtained has not been used and is not valid, there is little or no hint that Canada would initiate let alone proceed with cessation.

The officially published decisions in which cessation was pursued overwhelmingly involve individuals with substantial history of obtaining and using a home country passport, almost all in conjunction with multiple trips to the home country, usually for an extended duration. This should not be taken to suggest the risk is worth taking in just obtaining a home country passport OR traveling to the risk-country only briefly (noting, however, it is the combination which tends to elevate the risks). It is not.

But again, the more recent discussion is about the risk of applying for citizenship. That is a very fact specific, personal to the particular individual assessment to make. The circumstances reported by technic do not suggest much of a risk at all. Insinuations to the contrary are unwarranted and misleading.

While comments like this do not warrant a response:

If you want to have a luxury of going back to your home country just renounce your PR status and go back home and reapply through the normal rout.
If a family member or loved one needs help, care, or comforting, especially one nearing death, traveling home is hardly a luxury, and often can only be done at some risk, but a risk typically greatly reduced by just having status in a country like Canada, even just PR status which would allow the individual to retreat and return to the physical safety of Canada.

Most of the refugees I have known personally deeply miss the opportunity to at least visit with family and other loved ones back home, they often miss just being able to touch base with their roots and where they come from. Even once they become a citizen, the costs of travel are daunting, they often face serious risks and have to balance those risks against how important it is to be by a parent's side when dying, among other heart-wrenching scenarios.

The Harper-era draconian law which treats refugee-PRs differently than all other PRs was grossly unjust if not outright brutal. It is a shame that Kwan's Private Member Bill and this issue have been ignored by the current Liberal government. All other PRs can go to their home country for three out of five years without any risk of losing PR status. To impose this law on refugee-PRs, which means they cannot even briefly visit a dying parent without risk of cessation, and potentially lose PR status with no notice or right to a hearing to contest the termination of their PR status, let alone any right of appeal, is simply NOT FAIR. Once a person is given Permanent Resident status, that should be permanent unless the individual does something which is contrary to being a permanent resident, like committing serious acts of criminality or failing to actually permanently live in Canada.

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
This is a glib, fly-by, and out-of-context comment which ignores the scores of posts above, going back for over two years, which address these issues seriously.

But for the use of "probably," it is somewhat but only superficially accurate, but in the context of recent discussion it is a distraction. In the meantime, many if not most of the important cessation cases are already discussed, cited, and linked throughout the last two years' of posts in this topic. This subject has been discussed in depth. The relevant cases cited and linked.

To the extent it is accurate (even though, again, not in any way responsive to the post you quote or the posts which I was responding to), I would emphasize replacing "probably will have problems" with MAY have a problem. But that is a far more complex subject than what my recent post addressed or the queries it was in response to (but, again, is the subject of scores of researched posts above).

The risk of a problem depends on a lot of the particular facts in the individual case. Any risk of cessation is worth avoiding, so of course refugee-PRs should be cautioned against obtaining a passport or traveling to the home/risk country, recognizing however for some there are compelling circumstances and no feasible alternatives. The latter would be advised to consult with a competent lawyer experienced with refugee matters, and NOT try to do his or her own research (it borders on reckless to suggest otherwise).

And that is two-thirds of why I started this topic, over two years ago, and have continued to express that caution in the course of dozens of posts over these last two plus years. In particular, there was some anticipation that given the change to a Liberal government these risks might go away. They have not, but it appears the risk is not nearly so high as it was when Harper was PM.

The other third of why I started this topic is the subject of my most recent post, the one you quote, the one in response to queries which are NOT about whether to travel to the risk country or to obtain a home country passport. Rather, the subject of these recent queries and my recent post is about the risk of proceeding with a citizenship application if the refugee-PR has already done any of those things which might be perceived as reavailment of home country protection.

This risk is what actually induced me to start this topic (in the summer of 2015) and get the message out: CIC under the Harper government was clearly screening citizenship applicants for possible cessation proceedings. Thus, in particular, it warranted cautioning refugee-PRs who have already obtained a home country passport or traveled to the risk-country, that applying for citizenship could trigger a cessation investigation, leading to cessation, loss of PR status, and thus of course not only failing to become a citizen but losing status to live in Canada.

Recent statistics do not adequately reveal the extent to which this remains a risk. They do reveal that in the first half of this year more than 80 cessation proceedings were commenced. So it is clear that any refugee-PRs who engage in actions which constitute reavailment continue to indeed be at risk for cessation.

But that is well outside the subject discussed in the recent posts. Indeed, one query did not involve either a home country passport or travel to the risk-country at all. The other involved obtaining a home-country passport many years ago, prior to the change in law, prior even to obtaining PR status, and then the passport did not cause any problem at the time this individual went through the process of becoming a PR, even though that was during the peak of the Harper-era crackdown (so to say). That passport was not used and has expired.

Thus, even though technically the obtaining of the home country passport is a fact which can support an allegation of reavailment, in these circumstances there is no hint of actual reavailment or that the current government is at all likely to perceive it as such, let alone suspend the citizenship application and investigate potentially proceeding with cessation.

Reminder: obtaining a home/risk country passport is NOT grounds for cessation. Traveling to the risk-country is NOT grounds for cessation. These may constitute part of the factual basis upon which reavailment is alleged, but whether the refugee-PR has actually reavailed himself or herself of home/risk country protection is its own factual question, and one which depends in significant part on the refugee-PR's intent.

In particular, while obtaining a home country passport can lead to a presumption that the refugee-PR has reavailed himself or herself of home country protection, which would be grounds for cessation, that is a rebuttable presumption. In the absence of ever using the passport, and in the absence of ever traveling to the home country in the meantime, and particularly where the only passport so obtained has not been used and is not valid, there is little or no hint that Canada would initiate let alone proceed with cessation.

The officially published decisions in which cessation was pursued overwhelmingly involve individuals with substantial history of obtaining and using a home country passport, almost all in conjunction with multiple trips to the home country, usually for an extended duration. This should not be taken to suggest the risk is worth taking in just obtaining a home country passport OR traveling to the risk-country only briefly (noting, however, it is the combination which tends to elevate the risks). It is not.

But again, the more recent discussion is about the risk of applying for citizenship. That is a very fact specific, personal to the particular individual assessment to make. The circumstances reported by technic do not suggest much of a risk at all. Insinuations to the contrary are unwarranted and misleading.

While comments like this do not warrant a response:

If a family member or loved one needs help, care, or comforting, especially one nearing death, traveling home is hardly a luxury, and often can only be done at some risk, but a risk typically greatly reduced by just having status in a country like Canada, even just PR status which would allow the individual to retreat and return to the physical safety of Canada.

Most of the refugees I have known personally deeply miss the opportunity to at least visit with family and other loved ones back home, they often miss just being able to touch base with their roots and where they come from. Even once they become a citizen, the costs of travel are daunting, they often face serious risks and have to balance those risks against how important it is to be by a parent's side when dying, among other heart-wrenching scenarios.

The Harper-era draconian law which treats refugee-PRs differently than all other PRs was grossly unjust if not outright brutal. It is a shame that Kwan's Private Member Bill and this issue have been ignored by the current Liberal government. All other PRs can go to their home country for three out of five years without any risk of losing PR status. To impose this law on refugee-PRs, which means they cannot even briefly visit a dying parent without risk of cessation, and potentially lose PR status with no notice or right to a hearing to contest the termination of their PR status, let alone any right of appeal, is simply NOT FAIR. Once a person is given Permanent Resident status, that should be permanent unless the individual does something which is contrary to being a permanent resident, like committing serious acts of criminality or failing to actually permanently live in Canada.
As always, good analysis, thank you!

Derut

Aug 25, 2017
when i became a PR back in Oct 2013, I was only told to not travel to my country of origion. I have never traveled since then. But some people told me i need the valid passport to apply for citizinship. so i renewed my passport but never used it at all. i didnt know about cessation thing. but i think it is better to apply now than later. Who knows what the next govt come up with

NonaArso

Dec 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good morning :)

I'm a protected person and I never traveled back to my home country or renew my passport, but I did use it to travel twice to a third country where they don't accept refugee travel documents (Arabic countries).

When I received my COPR, I remember asking the officer from CBSA when she returned my original passport and other documents, if I can travel with my passport, she said of course you can travel with it but do not go back to your home country.

I'm really confused.. should I worry? o_O

jamainsid1910

Jan 8, 2015
when i became a PR back in Oct 2013, I was only told to not travel to my country of origion. I have never traveled since then. But some people told me i need the valid passport to apply for citizinship. so i renewed my passport but never used it at all. i didnt know about cessation thing. but i think it is better to apply now than later. Who knows what the next govt come up with
Don't stress yourself as nothing is going to happen to you. The liberal gov't stopped opening new cases. Just apply for your citizenship.