+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Sponsorship through SAHs

canadian90

Feb 2, 2016
Hello,

I am 29 yrs old living in Canada, I have my family of 3 members that lives in Iraq (Parents and one sister), they're in a serious danger and under a big threat. They want to leave Iraq ASAP to one one of the neighboring countries to seek asylum.

I was reading on CIC website, as of Sept. 2015, CIC has been exempting Iraqis "and Syrians" from providing a proof of refugee status and could apply for a sponsorship without providing a proof. I think my family is lucky now as they're Iraqis, so they're qualified under this category as Iraqis are currently exempted.

Sponsorship Agreement Holders (SAHs) are basically organizations that have signed a formal sponsorship agreement with CIC, most of them are religious or humanitarian organizations. I have a big list of these organizations that I can reach out and ask them to sponsor my family. My family has enough funds to support themselves when they come to Canada, so it's not necessary that those organizations would support my family financially.

My question(s)

1. How do I reach out to these organizations? Should I just call them and ask them if they can sponsor my family with no financial support needed? Do I need a lawyer to reach out to these organizations?
2. Is it difficult to find an organization to sponsor? Note: I live in Ontario, and it's not so necessary for the organization to be in Ontario.
3. Is there a limited number of refugees individuals/families that the organizations sponsor? If so, would the organizations be fully overloaded with the number of sponsorships they handle?
4. Other than Group of 5 "G5", are there any easier types of sponsorships if the SAHs are so difficult?

Thanks very much,,,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. Yes - you would just reach out to organizations. The organization will be required to prove they can offer financial support in order for the application to be approved. So you cannot say that no financial support is needed. These organizations will be signing a legal agreement with the Government of Canada to provide financial support as part of the application process. No - you don't necessarily need a lawyer.
2. Yes - assume it will be difficult unless you have a strong pre-existing relationship with the organization (e.g. you've been an active member of a particular religious organization for a few years). There are certainly organizations who take on sponsorships of people they don't know at all. However I think you will find many of these orgnizations are currently focused on assisting Syrian refugees and aren't in a position to take on any further sponsorships (at least that's what I'm seeing in Toronto). Having said that, by all means give it a try.
3. There's no limit. But most ogranizations will obviously only take on a certain number due to the financial obligations involved.
4. None of the refugee streams are "easy". If your parents qualify, they should also look into the economic immigration classes. If you are a PR and make enough income, you might be able to sponsor your parents through family class next years. However the processing times for these applications is 4+ years.

Note that your family must be living outside of Iraq in order to qualify to be sponsored through any refugee program. So the first thing they would have to do to qualify is leave Iraq. Also, depending on the age of your sister, she may not be included in the application (if she is too old to be classified as a dependent).

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
1. Yes - you would just reach out to organizations. The organization will be required to prove they can offer financial support in order for the application to be approved. So you cannot say that no financial support is needed. These organizations will be signing a legal agreement with the Government of Canada to provide financial support as part of the application process. No - you don't necessarily need a lawyer.
2. Yes - assume it will be difficult unless you have a strong pre-existing relationship with the organization (e.g. you've been an active member of a particular religious organization for a few years). There are certainly organizations who take on sponsorships of people they don't know at all. However I think you will find many of these orgnizations are currently focused on assisting Syrian refugees and aren't in a position to take on any further sponsorships (at least that's what I'm seeing in Toronto). Having said that, by all means give it a try.
3. There's no limit. But most ogranizations will obviously only take on a certain number due to the financial obligations involved.
4. None of the refugee streams are "easy". If your parents qualify, they should also look into the economic immigration classes. If you are a PR and make enough income, you might be able to sponsor your parents through family class next years. However the processing times for these applications is 4+ years.

Note that your family must be living outside of Iraq in order to qualify to be sponsored through any refugee program. So the first thing they would have to do to qualify is leave Iraq. Also, depending on the age of your sister, she may not be included in the application (if she is too old to be classified as a dependent).
Hey Scylla,

Would you be able to share list of these organizations that support "Sponsorship Agreement Holders"

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ottawa-applicant said:
Hey Scylla,

Would you be able to share list of these organizations that support "Sponsorship Agreement Holders"

Thanks
I don't have a list - I highly doubt that such a list exists.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ottawa-applicant said:
Well, how can someone find such organizations? I searched with no luck

Thanks ~
See answer #2 I provided when I responded to the OP. In all of the examples I'm aware of, a family member in Canada (e.g. aunt, uncle, distant cousin) was already an active and long-time member of the oraganization - and then that organization agreed to assist their refugee family members in coming to Canada. I don't know of any examples where someone just randomly found an organization they had no connection to.

canadian90

Feb 2, 2016
Ottawa-applicant said:
Well, how can someone find such organizations? I searched with no luck

Thanks ~
Hi,,

You can use this link to find the organizations, you basically need to select the province/territory and the list will pop up

The link is: cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/sponsor/list-sponsors.asp

canadian90

Feb 2, 2016
scylla said:
Thanks for your response.

You assume based on what you see? or you're not so sure, or what? When I asked if I need a lawyer for this, I meant that a lawyer or consultant or whoever we call it, will help me to find an organizations, as many of these consultants have networks and maybe some of them are members who know them, basically, depends on their network. So, I need to know how I can work this out to be easy and fast.

Also, depending on the age of your sister, she may not be included in the application (if she is too old to be classified as a dependent).
Seriously? If she's with my parents escaping from the danger, why would she not be included in the application?? Do you have any official links/documents from CIC that say so? Please let me know, because I know for the fact, if the family is all in danger, they could be all sponsored no matter who's the applicant, as long as my family is ALL in danger.

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadian90 said:
Hi,,

You can use this link to find the organizations, you basically need to select the province/territory and the list will pop up

The link is: cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/sponsor/list-sponsors.asp
So there a list exists, thank you for sharing
+1

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
Hello. I am Iraqi too and I have my brother and his family in Turkey for 2 years now. I already applied using SHA but it seems it is closed for all nationals except Syrian. Guess we Iraqis are always very lucky no matter what!!!! So yes, you can do the paper work with a church or similar places till CIC re-open accepting other country's applications and best of luck to you and your family. All my family are still there except my brother. We are not there but we live the threat and stress probably more than what they do. Stay Safe.

sgill90

Sep 10, 2015
Ottawa-applicant said:
So there a list exists, thank you for sharing
+1
Hi, Ottawa applicant
i am in a similar situation as you and want to know if you did your landing and if the criminal charges had any effect.

Thanks.