+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee decision timing

ale87

May 2, 2018
Hi - does anyone know how long it takes for the refugee board to send you acceptance letter after your hearing ? (In case accepted ) My hearing is finally scheduled .. after almost two years of waiting and I would like to know when am going to be able to travel outside Canada to see family and friends :(

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Even after you are accepted as a protected person there isn't a guarantee you can travel. You will need to get a travel document and see if you can get a visa. As I'm sure you know you can't travel back to your home country.

ale87

May 2, 2018
Really ?! 15 days ? From what I read in google, people said it's up to months. Some get it at the same day of the hearing . How long did you wait for ?
15 days and you will get your acceptance letter,,after thst most Europe are open to you without visa,and some other countries..you will see your family....you will be fine

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not the case for everyone. Some judges want to reflect about the judgement or do further research. Also possible that it may take a month or two to be notified. If the decision is made during the tribunal and the approval letter is dictated or composed right away you would likely receive a letter in 15 days. It has more to do with administration issues.