+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee claimant.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have a lawyer and he informed us of this, he is saying we need to wait and see when they will reschedule but I’m wondering if this means anything at all?
Rescheduling for administrative reasons can be due to a multitude of things almost all unrelated to your case. There can be an illness, a scheduling issue, etc. It isn’t that uncommon. Wouldn’t worry about it about it and wait for a new hearing.

Anna21104

Nov 16, 2023

How long had you been dating before he claimed asylum? ** We have been together for more than 2 years

Was he in Canada on another permit before claiming asylum? **he was on visitor and later claimed aslyum due to issues in his home country.

How much time have you spent in person since you started dating? **2 years**

How many times have you visited him in his home country or other country? **when he was in canada we lived together**

All these things have a large influence on the processing of any sponsorship.
Are you also a protected person and are you from the same home country? No, i am not a protected person and yes we both are from same country.

If you are a protected person but from another home country do you have an RTD and do you know if you can travel to his home country with an RTD? I have a visa and i can travel anytime as i dont have any restrictions.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How long had you been dating before he claimed asylum? ** We have been together for more than 2 years

Was he in Canada on another permit before claiming asylum? **he was on visitor and later claimed aslyum due to issues in his home country.

How much time have you spent in person since you started dating? **2 years**

How many times have you visited him in his home country or other country? **when he was in canada we lived together**

All these things have a large influence on the processing of any sponsorship.
Are you also a protected person and are you from the same home country? No, i am not a protected person and yes we both are from same country.

If you are a protected person but from another home country do you have an RTD and do you know if you can travel to his home country with an RTD? I have a visa and i can travel anytime as i dont have any restrictions.
There shouldn’t be an issue but there will be more scrutiny especially if he was out of status when you met. Would suggest having a traditional wedding not a court ceremony with just the two of you. You mention him booking a flight do you mean back to Canada? If he still has a valid TRV it was likely cancelled when he applied for asylum. There is a good chance you will need to sponsor him while he remains abroad given his immigration history.

Anna21104

Nov 16, 2023
There shouldn’t be an issue but there will be more scrutiny especially if he was out of status when you met. Would suggest having a traditional wedding not a court ceremony with just the two of you. You mention him booking a flight do you mean back to Canada? If he still has a valid TRV it was likely cancelled when he applied for asylum. There is a good chance you will need to sponsor him while he remains abroad given his immigration history.
Thank you so much for responding

we are planning a traditional wedding as per our culture. Yes when he withdrew his refugee claim his trv got cancelled as well. He didn’t attempt to reapply as he predicted it will be denied even though he left within the timeline (no deportation). He informed cbsa of his departure and asked them for approval to return but they refused and asked him to re apply after a year later.