+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee claimant.

Rona23

Nov 14, 2023
Hi I came to canada a year and a half ago without any status. I want to apply for refugee status. I met this girl almost a year ago and now we want to get married but because I don’t have a status we are not sure how do we do this process. Do I have to apply as a refugee claimant and then get married so that my wife would be able to sponsor me. Or should we just get married and apply for sponsorship. Not sure what route to take as I definitely wanna stay here with the love of my life. I feel like it’s a blessing to find love in the world we live in. FYI my passport is also expired. Would that affect in any way. Let me know your thoughts or suggestions.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi I came to canada a year and a half ago without any status. I want to apply for refugee status. I met this girl almost a year ago and now we want to get married but because I don’t have a status we are not sure how do we do this process. Do I have to apply as a refugee claimant and then get married so that my wife would be able to sponsor me. Or should we just get married and apply for sponsorship. Not sure what route to take as I definitely wanna stay here with the love of my life. I feel like it’s a blessing to find love in the world we live in. FYI my passport is also expired. Would that affect in any way. Let me know your thoughts or suggestions.
You need to hire Immigration Lawyer

Reactions: hotminaj

ref19to22

May 18, 2022

If you are in Ontario you can talk to a lawyer for free (~ 20mins) https://stepstojustice.ca/legal-topic/immigration/getting-legal-help-immigration-law/services/

If not google similar services in other provinces. Its best to get legal advice in your case and not peoples opinions on the matter.

Good luck!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is your life at risk in your home country? Given the fact that you have been in Canada for so long it doesn’t make sense to apply for asylum now versus when you entered Canada unless something has changed in your home country like a war. You don’t actually have to have status to be sponsored by a spouse or common law spouse. Have you lived together for 1 year and do you have proof that you lived together for that year? There will be increased scrutiny based on the fact that you don’t have status. The fact that you don’t have a valid passport is also going to be a big issue.

Purple Lady

Nov 14, 2023
I arrived Canada lale September 2023. I claim asylum immediately I arrived. I was given a white paper since then. I have done medical. I don't know what to do again. I have been waiting for my brown paper since then. What can I do?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I arrived Canada lale September 2023. I claim asylum immediately I arrived. I was given a white paper since then. I have done medical. I don't know what to do again. I have been waiting for my brown paper since then. What can I do?
People can wait for months given the volume of asylum claimants. All you can do is wait.

Anna21104

Nov 16, 2023
Hello,

I need advise - I am a PR holder in Canada. I am planning to marry someone who was once a refugee claimant in canada but he had to withdraw due to change in his conditions back in his country. he is right now in his home country. My partner and I are now planning to get married after being in a relationship for 2 years.
My question is would there be an issue if i file him under spousal visa sponsorship as he was a refugee claimant in 2022 ( Applied in Feb - Withdrawn in July and left canada).
He had to withdraw his claim due to medical conditions of his family member. Can someone please enlighten me on the process ?

Thanks

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello,

I need advise - I am a PR holder in Canada. I am planning to marry someone who was once a refugee claimant in canada but he had to withdraw due to change in his conditions back in his country. he is right now in his home country. My partner and I are now planning to get married after being in a relationship for 2 years.
My question is would there be an issue if i file him under spousal visa sponsorship as he was a refugee claimant in 2022 ( Applied in Feb - Withdrawn in July and left canada).
He had to withdraw his claim due to medical conditions of his family member. Can someone please enlighten me on the process ?

Thanks
Did he left within 30days of his voluntary departure order? I also see you wrote two reasons for withdrawing claim, one being change in country conditions and second medical conditions of the family member..

Anna21104

Nov 16, 2023
Did he left within 30days of his voluntary departure order? I also see you wrote two reasons for withdrawing claim, one being change in country conditions and second medical conditions of the family member..
Hello Simba112,

Thank you for responding.

He left within 10 days after withdrawal as he alrdy booked his return tickets and also his primary reason for leaving was his mother being unwell and not having anyone to help her. she passed away recently. I am planning to travel to our home country and get married - once i come here i am thinking of applying for spousal visa for him.
I am only worried that if i file him under spousal - would there be any issues?

Thanks.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello Simba112,

He left within 10 days after withdrawal as he alrdy booked his return tickets and also his primary reason for leaving was his mother being unwell and not having anyone to help her. she passed away recently. I am planning to travel to our home country and get married - once i come here i am thinking of applying for spousal visa for him.

Thanks.
Its not easy to predict how the officer will handle application, but there's a red flag, marriage after withdrawing refugee claim. Be prepared to address those concern when arising.

Gurnur

Nov 14, 2023
You need to hire a immigration lawyer nd apply for the process

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Simba112,

Thanks.
[/QUOTE

How long had you been dating before he claimed asylum? Was he in Canada on another permit before claiming asylum? How much time have you spent in person since you started dating? How many times have you visited him in his home country or other country? All these things have a large influence on the processing of any sponsorship. Are you also a protected person and are you from the same home country? If you are a protected person but from another home country do you have an RTD and do you know if you can travel to his home country with an RTD?