+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee claimant work permit

singhgurkirat

Mar 25, 2018
Hi guys, I have done my eligibility interview and I am a refugee claimant now. After the interview, we had a session where they told us that we dont have to apply for work permit ,once they recieve our medical they will send us the work permit. I completed my medical today. Someone told me that we need to apply for work permit no matter what they say so should i apply or not?
Also, if i want social assistance, should i apply for it before or after applying for work permit ?
Thank you

Skyline2019

Feb 14, 2019
U hv to apply fr workpermit and social assistance also requires to be applied for .. u would also need to hv a bank account

Paladinrules

Star Member
Apr 26, 2019
You can apply social service straight way, make sure you open a bank account or they will send u a check. Work permit you have to apply for it. Get assist from your lawyer. Thanks

dib1020

Mar 11, 2019
when the doctor submit your medical result, please apply online for the work permit the same day, otherwise you will wait three or four month.

singhgurkirat

Mar 25, 2018
U hv to apply fr workpermit and social assistance also requires to be applied for .. u would also need to hv a bank account
Thank you, one more question please
The expiration year on the claimant document is 2023, what will be the duration of my work permit and after how much time i will have my hearing?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you, one more question please
The expiration year on the claimant document is 2023, what will be the duration of my work permit and after how much time i will have my hearing?
India is not country that qualifies for expedited review so will likely be between 1-2 years. If you crossed from the US and not at a legal crossing you could be processed faster because they are trying to deport people as fast as possible if they don’t qualify for asylum. Have you tried to relocate within India? That is the first reason asylum claims are usually refused.

singhgurkirat

Mar 25, 2018
You can apply social service straight way, make sure you open a bank account or they will send u a check. Work permit you have to apply for it. Get assist from your lawyer. Thanks
hi,thankyou for the reply. i had an interview today with an ontario works officer and they cant give me social assistance because i could not provide them the required documents so i am not gonna try to get social assistance now.. But what will i write in my explanation letter while applying for work permit because i read somewhere that you need to prove that you are getting social assistance and you need a work permit to support youself.

Skyline2019

Feb 14, 2019
hi,thankyou for the reply. i had an interview today with an ontario works officer and they cant give me social assistance because i could not provide them the required documents so i am not gonna try to get social assistance now.. But what will i write in my explanation letter while applying for work permit because i read somewhere that you need to prove that you are getting social assistance and you need a work permit to support youself.
U can apply fr social assistance based on yr refugee claimant document . But it will take time to get started. But provide what ever they are asking frm u..
then u can go fr work permit, but fr work permit u need to do yr medical first, u must be having list of doctors given by ircc just call the listed doctrs nd book appointment bd when ur work permit arrives apply fr sin no

miss maria

Apr 12, 2019
Hi, plz anyone can guide me that if i come to canada and apply for asylum.. i m a woman having three kids ( dependents) .. unless my asylum is accepted how will i spend that time over there?are there any shelter homes?will i be given any social asistance... any financialhelp from canadian government will be given to fulfill my kids expenses?? Otherwise what are the options to survive untill asylum i

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Hi, plz anyone can guide me that if i come to canada and apply for asylum.. i m a woman having three kids ( dependents) .. unless my asylum is accepted how will i spend that time over there?are there any shelter homes?will i be given any social asistance... any financialhelp from canadian government will be given to fulfill my kids expenses?? Otherwise what are the options to survive untill asylum i
Ideally, you should be planning on acquiring a work permit once eligible for it. Since you have dependents, much better if you have money saved up before claiming asylum. Even if you eventually qualify for welfare it will not be enough for rent and food for 4 people. Most importantly, make sure you have all the proof of your grounds for asylum.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The first issue is do you have a TRV? Getting a visa to enter Canada is quite difficult.