+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Claimant Work Permit

hrs86

Sep 19, 2015
Hi

I have applied to be as a refugee claimant in November 2012, and I'm still waiting for a hearing to be scheduled. I have an open work permit that's valid for 3 years, of course it will expire soon, it will expire in March 2016. Now I'm looking to extend my work permit to keep the job that I'm already having. Could someone please guide me on how to do that?

I can google it just easily, but I'm not so sure if I can get the "open" work permit extension correctly, is there a refugee claimant WP category? or just a regular one?

Thanks,

key78

Star Member
Aug 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are still a refugee claimant, so you have apply to apply under "refugee claimant" category
when you fill out the work permit extension form

key78

Star Member
Aug 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's the regular one (application to change conditions,extend my stay or remaining in Canada as a worker" IMM5710E

Choose the "refugee claimant" category,
when you fill out the work permit extension form

It's recommended to apply for an extension 90 days before the expiry date of your current work permit.

when is your hearing?

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
If you want to apply online these are the steps:-

First determine your eligibility ( http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp )
step 1: Fill out the complete questionnaire
Step 2: on the completion of step 1 you will get a CODE, Write it down on a paper
step 3: create a Mycic account using the above CODE ( following the instructions while creating account)
step 4: Based on your questionnaire you answered in step 1, your Mycic account will automatically be consisting the application forms which you have to submit ( so download them)
step 5: upload all the forms,your photo and documents in your Mycic account
Step 6: once everything completed Submit your application for processing.

-uploading supporting documents: scan them all, paste them in a word document file and upload them.
-After submitting wait for the outcome, they will notify about any updates in your Mycic account by sending you an email.

hope it helps

hrs86

Sep 19, 2015
Hello,,

Thanks all for your replies, I'll start following what's in this link "cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp" and fill out the documents properly. Please confirm if I'm correct at this point.

Thanks,,

key78 said:
when is your hearing?
It's not scheduled yet, I've been waiting for almost 3 years now

hrs86

Sep 19, 2015
hrs86 said:
It's not scheduled yet, I've been waiting for almost 3 years now
Hello,,

Since we brought up this topic, could someone please advise me what to do to get a hearing, I've called my rep and the IRB themselves million times, they keep telling me that I'm not the only person who's into this situation, and I have to keep waiting.

I applied in Nov. 2012, and my claim is a legacy claim, which lost a priority for scheduling after the new changes. Could someone please tell me what I can do to get a hearing? I am starting to establish a life here, and I'm having a good job. I actually lost a better job opportunity a month ago because it requires me to travel to the US and I can't travel because of this refugee case. I am from Iraq

Thanks,

Arrow9

Sep 6, 2015
Have you contacted your local MP?
Send a detailed letter to IRB explaining all your difficulties. Find your case officer at IRB and contact him/her directly.

hrs86 said:
Hello,,

Since we brought up this topic, could someone please advise me what to do to get a hearing, I've called my rep and the IRB themselves million times, they keep telling me that I'm not the only person who's into this situation, and I have to keep waiting.

I applied in Nov. 2012, and my claim is a legacy claim, which lost a priority for scheduling after the new changes. Could someone please tell me what I can do to get a hearing? I am starting to establish a life here, and I'm having a good job. I actually lost a better job opportunity a month ago because it requires me to travel to the US and I can't travel because of this refugee case. I am from Iraq

Thanks,

hrs86

Sep 19, 2015
I did,

She told me that we're currently depending on certain priorities such as the international refugee crisis from other countries, the only factor that will help us determine your hearing schedule is when it's urgent, such as groin through health problems.

I seriously didn't buy it, for one obvious reason is that Iraq is going through an international crisis right now, which they may have to consider, therefore; I am not so sure what to do at this point...

Thanks,

Arrow9

Sep 6, 2015
If I am not mistaken IRB hearings have nothing to do with international refugee crisis. iRB deals with local refugees only.

hrs86 said:
I did,

She told me that we're currently depending on certain priorities such as the international refugee crisis from other countries, the only factor that will help us determine your hearing schedule is when it's urgent, such as groin through health problems.

I seriously didn't buy it, for one obvious reason is that Iraq is going through an international crisis right now, which they may have to consider, therefore; I am not so sure what to do at this point...

Thanks,

hrs86

Sep 19, 2015
That's why I didn't buy it, it's just an excuse they make up to ditch the caller.

I also don't know if my time will be counted towards the citizenship "if everything goes right" . I know for the fact that under the old regulations, every day I spend here is a half day towards it, but under the new bill, I'm not entirely sure. If it wouldn't be counted, then I am pretty much screwed because of the long time periods that I'll have to wait on the long run for PR and then citizenship.

I've been working since I got my WP 2 years and a half ago, so hopefully that will be counted towards something.

Arrow9

Sep 6, 2015
Nothing will be counted until you become a PR.
Better call them consistently and if your are experiencing health issues better contact your doctor to mail a letter to IRB.
hrs86 said:
That's why I didn't buy it, it's just an excuse they make up to ditch the caller.

I also don't know if my time will be counted towards the citizenship "if everything goes right" . I know for the fact that under the old regulations, every day I spend here is a half day towards it, but under the new bill, I'm not entirely sure. If it wouldn't be counted, then I am pretty much screwed because of the long time periods that I'll have to wait on the long run for PR and then citizenship.

I've been working since I got my WP 2 years and a half ago, so hopefully that will be counted towards something.

shab84

Sep 8, 2012
Hi

I have refugee status in Canada and my work permit is expiring in December. I want to apply for renewal but I am having problem with validating forms. my passport is expired and its with CIC when I entered original date of expiry of my passport I am getting an error saying expiry date can not go less than current date. I am confused what should I do. Help will be appreciated God bless you all