+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee claimant/Protected person applying for FSW in Express Entry

Aristeed

Nov 9, 2014
First off as the title suggests, is it possible as a refugee claimant with hearing postponed and no date announced yet to simultaneously pursue an application for Federal Skilled Worker category in Express Entry.

Only reason i'm asking is because I meet the requirements (English, French tests results already gotten, more than 1 year foreign work experience, education pending assessment by WES, funds ok, as per simulation data currently over 430 points) and in addition only because it's faster to become PR once issued ITA - general consensus being no more than 6 months.

Any answers or pointers would really help as i've tried scouting around the internet and forum but don't find anything exhaustive on this topic

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To the best of my knowledge it's not possible. When you submit your EE application after getting ITA, you must have valid status in Canada. If you're waiting for a decision on your refugee claim, you're not considered to have status in Canada and therefore don't meet the requirements to submit an Express Entry application.

Aristeed

Nov 9, 2014
To the best of my knowledge it's not possible. When you submit your EE application after getting ITA, you must have valid status in Canada. If you're waiting for a decision on your refugee claim, you're not considered to have status in Canada and therefore don't meet the requirements to submit an Express Entry application.
Hypothetically speaking, say I waited 1-2 years with no hearing date hence no decision and decided to withdraw refugee application then voluntarily left Canada back to home country or say U.S., what are my chances to get a favorable or positive decision on Express entry application given I met the requirements already as in previous post thanks :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hypothetically speaking, say I waited 1-2 years with no hearing date hence no decision and decided to withdraw refugee application then voluntarily left Canada back to home country or say U.S., what are my chances to get a favorable or positive decision on Express entry application given I met the requirements already as in previous post thanks :)
You'd probably be fine under the current rules. But remember that the economic immigration rules seem to change every few years. So just because you qualify now doesn't mean you'll qualify in 1-2 years.