+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee claimant getting sponsored

Small lion

Jun 7, 2018
Hi I’m a refugee claimant and just got married to a protected person refugee. She is about to apply for her residency and wants to include me in her application as spouse.Does anyone know how long it will take to get permanent residency. Is it the 12months processing time for spousal sponsorship or it will be processed in 32months like her own?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
She would need to include you in her application. Until she gets her PR, she can’t sponsor you for a spousal sponsorship, only include you in hers. It will be the 32 months.

Small lion

Jun 7, 2018
She would need to include you in her application. Until she gets her PR, she can’t sponsor you for a spousal sponsorship, only include you in hers. It will be the 32 months.
Thank for the reply blue truck. She was accepted as a protected person back in 2012 and she hasn’t applied for her residency since then. With this reason do you think her pr application would still take 32 months?

Small lion

Jun 7, 2018
Hi everyone, my spouse will be submitting her pr application next week and she is including me in her application.we have been together for a year plus now. I wanna know if I will be given a work permit after we submit the application or I should continue working with my open work permit I got as a refugee claimant? Moreso, I wanna know if my pr application will be processed the same time as her’s or if I will get my pr card the same time as hers? I look forward to get a response, thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone, my spouse will be submitting her pr application next week and she is including me in her application.we have been together for a year plus now. I wanna know if I will be given a work permit after we submit the application or I should continue working with my open work permit I got as a refugee claimant? Moreso, I wanna know if my pr application will be processed the same time as her’s or if I will get my pr card the same time as hers? I look forward to get a response, thanks.
You don't qualify for a work permit if she's added you to her PR application. You will be processed like any spouse not living in Canada although your application will likely have ore scrutiny. You will need to go through you own asylum process while you wait. Given your very fast marriage after arrival in Canada your application will go through a lot of scrutiny. After reading your basis for asylum anticipate quite a few concerns given that you claimed persecution due to the fact that you were gay but then got a woman pregnant.

mingota19

Aug 16, 2017
You don't qualify for a work permit if she's added you to her PR application. You will be processed like any spouse not living in Canada although your application will likely have ore scrutiny. You will need to go through you own asylum process while you wait. Given your very fast marriage after arrival in Canada your application will go through a lot of scrutiny. After reading your basis for asylum anticipate quite a few concerns given that you claimed persecution due to the fact that you were gay but then got a woman pregnant.
oh my word !! claimed protection because of being gay . now got someone pregnant !! ?? Case already Dismissed .... it wont make sense to any refugee board member . neither to the judge

Small lion

Jun 7, 2018
Thanks for the responding, but my question is how Long will my application be processed. and to be clear I have been in canada for almost three years now, so I don’t see anything fast about the marriage

Small lion

Jun 7, 2018
oh my word !! claimed protection because of being gay . now got someone pregnant !! ?? Case already Dismissed .... it wont make sense to any refugee board member . neither to the judge
Hey bro, stuff happens and I don’t think you have a say on who can be sponsored or cannot be sponsored. I spoke with my lawyer and he says it’s very much possible. I’ve been living with my spouse for a long time now and one thing led to the other, so don’t judge

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the responding, but my question is how Long will my application be processed. and to be clear I have been in canada for almost three years now, so I don’t see anything fast about the marriage
30 months is the current processing time so over 30 months. You will need to continue your asylum claim of you will be out of status.

derin1010

Oct 18, 2017
Toronto
This is absolutely wrong assumption. Refugee board members dont look at things that way. I have seen similar cases and the refugee claim got approved.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is absolutely wrong assumption. Refugee board members dont look at things that way. I have seen similar cases and the refugee claim got approved.
There have been many asylum seekers that have been refused if they claimed asylum because they were gay but the board member didn't believe they were gay. There is a large number of people who have been coached to say they are part of the LGBTQ community on top of the people fleeing persecution because they are part of the LGBTQ community. Yes there may be some cases when, mostly lesbians, have become pregnant although they are claiming persecution due to their sexual identity but it is rare to see someone then marries their opposite sex partner. In Canada there is no pressure that the must get married if they accidentally had a baby.

Last edited:

Jadetol

Dec 3, 2018
Hello, my case is similar to this. My wife which we got married recently in Nov is a protected person. She has gone for her landing which was some time in Oct. I guess she is just expecting the PR card now.

Question: since we just married do we have to inform CIC also?

We planned to file for inland spousal sponsorship but waiting marriage certificate. If her PR isnt out, can she still sponsor me?

Also note, i am a failed refugee claimant and my JR just came out as failed, i am also bisexual.

I will appreciate any advice right now.

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
Hello, my case is similar to this. My wife which we got married recently in Nov is a protected person. She has gone for her landing which was some time in Oct. I guess she is just expecting the PR card now.

Question: since we just married do we have to inform CIC also?

We planned to file for inland spousal sponsorship but waiting marriage certificate. If her PR isnt out, can she still sponsor me?

Also note, i am a failed refugee claimant and my JR just came out as failed, i am also bisexual.

I will appreciate any advice right now.
She must be a permanent resident to sponsor you. Keep in mind that a very high scrutiny will be upon your application due to your recent faild refugee claim.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
She has gone for her landing which was some time in Oct. I guess she is just expecting the PR card now.
Did you get married before or after she completed her landing? We’re you included/added to the application if you were married prior to landing?

Reactions: jddd and canuck78