+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee claimant getting married with citizen

tps9721

Jul 21, 2023
Hello everyone!
I'm a refugee claimant, I already have my Brown paper (it arrived in May of this year), and I'm waiting for the hearing where the decision will be made on whether I qualify as a refugee, but from what I know this hearing can take months or years to arrive.
On the other hand, I met my boyfriend more than 1 year ago, we have been living together for several months (we have no proof of this since he is the one who rents the house) and recently he proposed to me. He is a Canadian citizen.
I would be very grateful if you could guide me on what will be the steps to follow after we get married. Can I opt to obtain permanent residence by sponsorship? If so, should I withdraw my refugee claim? I was reading on the official website of Canada that to obtain the PR for marriage you must be a temporary resident at the time of getting married, which I understand is not the case for refugee claimants. I also saw some cases and apparently it is advisable to continue with the refugee process while the sponsorship is being processed, but I'm worried that our relationship will be called into question due to my current situation. we have plenty of evidence from messages, photos, posts, and witnesses, just like any normal couple. Please someone help me!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone!
I'm a refugee claimant, I already have my Brown paper (it arrived in May of this year), and I'm waiting for the hearing where the decision will be made on whether I qualify as a refugee, but from what I know this hearing can take months or years to arrive.
On the other hand, I met my boyfriend more than 1 year ago, we have been living together for several months (we have no proof of this since he is the one who rents the house) and recently he proposed to me. He is a Canadian citizen.
I would be very grateful if you could guide me on what will be the steps to follow after we get married. Can I opt to obtain permanent residence by sponsorship? If so, should I withdraw my refugee claim? I was reading on the official website of Canada that to obtain the PR for marriage you must be a temporary resident at the time of getting married, which I understand is not the case for refugee claimants. I also saw some cases and apparently it is advisable to continue with the refugee process while the sponsorship is being processed, but I'm worried that our relationship will be called into question due to my current situation. we have plenty of evidence from messages, photos, posts, and witnesses, just like any normal couple. Please someone help me!
- Yes, your boyfriend can sponsor you for PR after you get married.
- No, do not withdraw your refugee claim. If you withdraw the refugee claim, this makes your removal order active.
- After you get married, your boyfriend needs to sponsor you for PR but you must also keep the refugee application active.
- If you have futher questions, post them to the Refugee / Asylum section of the forum.