+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Claimant applying for Inland spouse sponsership

Ali94

Star Member
Aug 2, 2018
Hello

I hope everyone is safe and well,

I am a refugee claimant from Syria, who submitted his claim at the end of 2018, and I am still waiting since then (no hearing or decision yet). I got married to a Canadian citizen recently.

Can I apply for a PR through Inland spouse sponsorship, (my wife sponsor me). ?

Is there any impact on the current refugee claim? and can I keep the two applications together?

Which better is to apply from now through Inland spouse sponsorship, or wait until a decision and apply as a refugee claimant?

Is there any special process because I am a refugee claimant? or I can apply normally to PR through my wife..

Any advice from you guys?

Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello

I hope everyone is safe and well,

I am a refugee claimant from Syria, who submitted his claim at the end of 2018, and I am still waiting since then (no hearing or decision yet). I got married to a Canadian citizen recently.

Can I apply for a PR through Inland spouse sponsorship, (my wife sponsor me). ?

Is there any impact on the current refugee claim? and can I keep the two applications together?

Which better is to apply from now through Inland spouse sponsorship, or wait until a decision and apply as a refugee claimant?

Is there any special process because I am a refugee claimant? or I can apply normally to PR through my wife..

Any advice from you guys?

Thank you.
Really depends on whether you have a lot of relationship proof. If not, would stick to your asylum claim. With any asylum applicant or person who has been denied asylum a marriage is always looked at with a bit of suspicion because some do marry to remain in Canada. If you had already been approved I would say apply for sponsorship.