+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Claim

me_tanzee

Mar 12, 2019
Hi, I am Indian and my wife is from Pakistan married for 7 years.
I have lived my whole life in a gulf country. I got married here and had 2 kids. I had applied to Canadian PR (Express Entry). I have been to India 3 times in the past 20 years and I have no relatives that I am in touch with. Due to issues in the gulf country my wife lost her job and I too have lost my job. My kids have never been to India and in anticipation of her job loss (last year) I asked her to visit Pakistan to see if she can settle there till I got things sorted out in the gulf country. She went there for a week and returned because her family is linked with the Pak govt. and they did not want her 'Indian' children in Pak or have anything associated with her. They even threatened her if she came back.
Now I have lost my job and have no status here in the gulf country. My kids cannot go to Pak and I have '0' connections back home in India.
and she cannot go to Pakistan fearing the current state of both nations and what would happen. I dont even know if my wife will get a visit visa to India as I dont have a status in the gulf country.

I could have gone to the US as I had a valid visit visa. I have been their twice for tourism and had a chance to have my child there way back in 2015 but i chose not to do so. But I took the right approach to apply for PR in a country that seemed tolerant to our nationalities so we all could live in a country without fear or have issue related to our nationalities.

But now I am in a Limbo... I dont have a Canadian PR ( I am still waiting to be accepted as my express entry score is low 360) and I cant stay here.

If I leave, then my wife would go to Pakistan and I would have to go to India with my Kids.

All knowing the fact that things might go bad to worse... my wife doesnt get a visa to India from Pak and our family separated. Or I dont know what her family would do to her there.

Do you think I apply for asylum in canada

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Not having an connections with India does not make for a valid asylum claim. Your children and your wife can settle in India with you. Your chances of asylum in Canada, based on your post, are pretty much zero.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi, I am Indian and my wife is from Pakistan married for 7 years.
I have lived my whole life in a gulf country. I got married here and had 2 kids. I had applied to Canadian PR (Express Entry). I have been to India 3 times in the past 20 years and I have no relatives that I am in touch with. Due to issues in the gulf country my wife lost her job and I too have lost my job. My kids have never been to India and in anticipation of her job loss (last year) I asked her to visit Pakistan to see if she can settle there till I got things sorted out in the gulf country. She went there for a week and returned because her family is linked with the Pak govt. and they did not want her 'Indian' children in Pak or have anything associated with her. They even threatened her if she came back.
Now I have lost my job and have no status here in the gulf country. My kids cannot go to Pak and I have '0' connections back home in India.
and she cannot go to Pakistan fearing the current state of both nations and what would happen. I dont even know if my wife will get a visit visa to India as I dont have a status in the gulf country.

I could have gone to the US as I had a valid visit visa. I have been their twice for tourism and had a chance to have my child there way back in 2015 but i chose not to do so. But I took the right approach to apply for PR in a country that seemed tolerant to our nationalities so we all could live in a country without fear or have issue related to our nationalities.

But now I am in a Limbo... I dont have a Canadian PR ( I am still waiting to be accepted as my express entry score is low 360) and I cant stay here.

If I leave, then my wife would go to Pakistan and I would have to go to India with my Kids.

All knowing the fact that things might go bad to worse... my wife doesnt get a visa to India from Pak and our family separated. Or I dont know what her family would do to her there.

Do you think I apply for asylum in canada
Agreed with the advice given by Buletruck and canuck78.

You do not have any grounds for asylum. Your claims (if you get to Canada) will be seen as an economic 'refugee' i.e. someone who wants to circumvent immigrating to Canada by one of the economic pathways.

You and your wife/children can live in India. Your wife would need to apply for a Long Term Visa (LTV) for India. Yes, it is possible for a Pakistan national to be issued a LTV if s/he is married to an Indian national. Your wife will be eligible for Indian citizenship if she lives for 7 continuous years in India on her LTV status.

Your children are Indian citizens by descent. Hope they have Indian passports.

Just to add:
Your chances of TRV approvals are slim to none based on the facts you have posted: Temporary immigration status in the GCC + no employment ties.

Your chances of getting an ITA for EE PR too are very slim unless you gain more points through other ways