+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee claim got refused

Sherbrook

Star Member
Mar 9, 2019
hi, please guys I need your help, I’m a refugee claimant from Libya,came by myself with work permit and then I applied in a refugee claim,my refugee claim has been refused and I have three Questions:

1-How long is the appealing process is going to take?

2-if I get married from a Canadian citizen, is it gonna help to stay here without being deported?

3-if I get refused again after appealing , how long time they’re gonna give me before they deport me? Because I’m really unsafe I’m my country and I have to find another way to stay alive ☹ I’m thinking of going to the United States and I don’t have any resistance except my mother country and this is the first time I apply in a refugee claim.

I don’t wanna die, please guys I need your help.

Last edited:

DRAW

Mar 6, 2019
You have 2 options:
Friend of mine has gone through this this year.
In the appeal there are few things that will happened:
- takes about 6 months to hear back if accepted or declined.
- If accepted then, there will be a court date set months after. If have a lawyer the lawyer goes to court on your behalf.
- if all goes well then you will get a new hearing date. (It takes time)

If declined you can apply for PPRA or if you qualify for humanitarian and compassionate (H&C).

Yes marriage does of course help but it’s fishy doing it right now after your refugee claim has been declined. (Unless you have Solid proof that this marriage is not fake)

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If his appeal is rejected, he won’t be able to apply for H&C for 12 months. OP will likely be deported during that time. PRRA would only be effective once approved. And that’s hit and miss, if they are allowed to apply.
Getting married would be subject to some pretty intense scrutiny as a marriage of convienience and the US will return you to Canada under the safe third country provision.
What were the reasons for your refusal?

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
Hi, you currently are subject to and ADR because you're from Libya:

"Temporary suspension of removals (TSR) – The TSR program interrupts removals to a country or place when general conditions pose a risk to the entire civilian population. Examples include armed conflict within a country or place or an environmental disaster resulting in a substantial temporary disruption of living conditions. An individual who is not allowed into Canada on grounds of criminality, international or human rights violations, organized crime, or security can still be removed despite the TSR. Canada currently has a TSR in place for Afghanistan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, and Iraq. The primary difference between the TSR and the ADR are that an ADR is generally put in place within a short period of time to immediately respond to a change in country conditions."

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-securite/rem-ren-eng.html

Who knows when that might be removed? Not soon, I don't think. A marriage of convenience (now) will obliterate your credibility.

Reactions: jddd

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, you currently are subject to and ADR because you're from Libya:

"Temporary suspension of removals (TSR) – The TSR program interrupts removals to a country or place when general conditions pose a risk to the entire civilian population. Examples include armed conflict within a country or place or an environmental disaster resulting in a substantial temporary disruption of living conditions. An individual who is not allowed into Canada on grounds of criminality, international or human rights violations, organized crime, or security can still be removed despite the TSR. Canada currently has a TSR in place for Afghanistan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, and Iraq. The primary difference between the TSR and the ADR are that an ADR is generally put in place within a short period of time to immediately respond to a change in country conditions."

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-securite/rem-ren-eng.html

Who knows when that might be removed? Not soon, I don't think. A marriage of convenience (now) will obliterate your credibility.
Think it may depend on the region in Libya. I sense there is more to this story. Perhaps the OP has citizenship rights elsewhere? This is a perfect example why applying for asylum should be the last option. Working or studying and then applying for PR is often a much more secure way of staying in Canada.

Reactions: jddd