+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee/Asylum Claimants 2023 Timeline

zizilylian

Apr 20, 2024
I think the number of applicants are a lot for etobicoke.
Applicants have always been a lot, and the timeline has never this bad, even at the beginning of this year. Seen people get their stuff within a month this year from Etobicoke.

Even more tiring for me cos a job offer is hanging on the line. I expected I'd have my documents by now.

shaz1983

Star Member
May 3, 2024
Applicants have always been a lot, and the timeline has never this bad, even at the beginning of this year. Seen people get their stuff within a month this year from Etobicoke.

Even more tiring for me cos a job offer is hanging on the line. I expected I'd have my documents by now.
Can you please share your timeline?

helpme1

Star Member
Mar 6, 2024
Called IRCC today. The agent didn't even bother to check the file this time. The backlog is huge they said and the only option is to wait.

helpme1

Star Member
Mar 6, 2024
It's out of our business. They have to hire more employees for that. We pay taxes to get a world class service.
Sing the petition, we must cause a change.

https://www.ourcommons.ca/petitions/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-4941
These don't work. Just an exercise. Deputy minister or the parliamentary secretary will give a generic response. They think there are enough policies in place to protect dependents. Primary applicants/those already here are having a hard time with the backlog ..forget dependents and those outside. With the new changes coming, hope they don't do a Eu uk safe country scheme. MP in that petition just keeping his constituents happy.

ahzkhs

Jun 30, 2023
These don't work. Just an exercise. Deputy minister or the parliamentary secretary will give a generic response. They think there are enough policies in place to protect dependents. Primary applicants/those already here are having a hard time with the backlog ..forget dependents and those outside. With the new changes coming, hope they don't do a Eu uk safe country scheme. MP in that petition just keeping his constituents happy.
I disagree. They will give generic response in case of having a handful signs. As long as you transced the 500 signs threshold, it must be considered by the House of Commons. It's a law.

ahzkhs

Jun 30, 2023
By the way, I am the starter of this petition. It took about two months of discussions and correspondances with the MPs and the legal committee. It is not that simple as you think to publishing a petition.
If we undermine any positive initiative, do not blame yourself and just moan the excessive and illogical processing time.

• Love
Reactions: Mancini

helpme1

Star Member
Mar 6, 2024
By the way, I am the starter of this petition. It took about two months of discussions and correspondances with the MPs and the legal committee. It is not that simple as you think to publishing a petition.
If we undermine any positive initiative, do not blame yourself and just moan the excessive and illogical processing time.
There's an anti-asylum rhetoric building in the country with the people very unhappy how much it costs the tax payer. That's why in the 2024 budget they have quietly said they plan to make changes. Look at this here: https://globalnews.ca/news/10459432/ottawa-new-asylum-rules-faster-deportations/

When Trudeau of all people starts clamping down on any immigration, it's an underlying sign of unhappiness among the general public. And they listen to citizens not anyone else.

Good initiative. All the best !(lastly, i know many people who started similar initiatives, found a MP to support it etc and then it was a generic response).. IRCC makes changes only when there's strong support from the public and the media is on board too. There has to be some pressing need where Canada needs something from the refugees/immigrants and the public share similar opinion and then finally IRCC does something (like during pandemic time). The back office political staff keep tabs on these ever changing needs and ask ministry to act accordingly. Trudeau over the years has built a good liberal base through his immigration policies and now is moving centre on immigration because of public sentiment.

All the best !

helpme1

Star Member
Mar 6, 2024
I agree its a lot of work. Just that in the end, nothing comes off of it unless they feel the need is justified. Trust me i know many folks who did the same. Just keep your expectations low. It's not you, it's the system. One day in the future, the mp's office will email you the response and IRCC would not make any change.

ahzkhs

Jun 30, 2023
There's an anti-asylum rhetoric building in the country with the people very unhappy how much it costs the tax payer. That's why in the 2024 budget they have quietly said they plan to make changes. Look at this here: https://globalnews.ca/news/10459432/ottawa-new-asylum-rules-faster-deportations/

When Trudeau of all people starts clamping down on any immigration, it's an underlying sign of unhappiness among the general public. And they listen to citizens not anyone else.

Good initiative. All the best !(lastly, i know many people who started similar initiatives, found a MP to support it etc and then it was a generic response).. IRCC makes changes only when there's strong support from the public and the media is on board too. There has to be some pressing need where Canada needs something from the refugees/immigrants and the public share similar opinion and then finally IRCC does something (like during pandemic time). The back office political staff keep tabs on these ever changing needs and ask ministry to act accordingly. Trudeau over the years has built a good liberal base through his immigration policies and now is moving centre on immigration because of public sentiment.

All the best !
Man, what is the relation between the link you have shared and our topic?
It's about the deportation of the rejected claims.
Simply, the more signatures you get on the petition, the more attention you gain.

Also, I did not find any similar petitions at all which touch the same point.

helpme1

Star Member
Mar 6, 2024
Look at the bigger picture. When they don't care about the primary applicant, why will they care about their dependents who are further away ? Petitions are only petitions. The decision makers already know what needs to be done OR what does not. They don't need the petition to tell them. They have a different meter to gauge immediate needs. Sorry to rain on your parade but nothings going to come off of this petition. Just some initial excitement, you've done the work and all that and your names on the petition etc. In the end nothing is going to happen. By then, you'll already be frustrated and give up on that. But good job. It takes a lot of work to get these things done. Instead focus and invest the same energy on yourself.

ahzkhs

Jun 30, 2023
Look at the bigger picture. When they don't care about the primary applicant, why will they care about their dependents who are further away ? Petitions are only petitions. The decision makers already know what needs to be done OR what does not. They don't need the petition to tell them. They have a different meter to gauge immediate needs. Sorry to rain on your parade but nothings going to come off of this petition. Just some initial excitement, you've done the work and all that and your names on the petition etc. In the end nothing is going to happen. By then, you'll already be frustrated and give up on that. But good job. It takes a lot of work to get these things done. Instead focus and invest the same energy on yourself.
So, the solution from your point of view is just crying.

I want to bring to your attention that the parliament verdict for reviewing the Canadian policy of exporting weapons to Isreal cased by a petition signed by 8000.

If it's useless and the government knew everything, why did they put this option on the House of Commons website ? It's useless from your viewpoint.