+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee and sponsorship

marhei

Apr 30, 2019
I have a question that I though someone might be able to help.

I am asking this question for a friend.

He is from an African country and came to Canada with a valid TRV, ; he then marries with a Canadian Citizen and applying as a Refugee as he is genuinely afraid to go back to his own country. He did mention in his claim about his marriage status too. His wife did not know that she could sponsor him since she is being told that she needs to meet certain financial income. She found that she does not neet to meet LICO for sponsoring his wife. My question is that can The guy withdraw from Refugee claim and be sponsored instead? If the answer is Yes, does he needs to go back to his own country and wait to be sponsored??!!

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
IMO, they have kind of got themselves in a bind. This is what happens when people don’t know or understand the requirements and then proceed without qualified help.
I would expect his refugee claim to be refused as he has alternate options (he’s married to a Canadian who can sponsor him) available to him. Because he has claimed as a refugee, he’s signed a departure order, so if he with draws his claim or it is rejected, the departure order goes into effect. If he doesn’t leave it becomes a deportation order and that will affect any chance of sponsorship in the near future. Personally, get the sponsorship application in and then withdraw your refugee claim. Strongly suggest consulting with a good immigration lawyer (not a consultant).

Reactions: Bornlucky

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What was his relationship history with the Canadian? There will be a lot of scrutiny on his relationship if he didn’t have a long history with the person.

marhei

Apr 30, 2019
What was his relationship history with the Canadian? There will be a lot of scrutiny on his relationship if he didn’t have a long history with the person.
He is married to her for two years now...they have everything to show that their relationship is Genuine...they just did not have enough information of how to process the application...and did not consult with anybody except their own guts...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
He is married to her for two years now...they have everything to show that their relationship is Genuine...they just did not have enough information of how to process the application...and did not consult with anybody except their own guts...
The issue will be how long they knew each other before getting married.