+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

reference letter problem - urgent advice needed from seniors

Nit4canada

May 13, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear all,

I am planning to apply for migration on the basis of NOC 4131. I had taught some academic subjects in a college between 2005-2007. After working 2 years i resigned from the job due to my marriage. At the time of resignation, the college had issued me a reference letter, which i had to submit with some other application. Since i do not have a reference letter at the moment, i requested my previous employer to issue another reference letter. They told me that since they already issued me a resignation letter at the time of resignation, they will not issue new reference letter and they told it is the policy of the college not to issue reference letters later, other than at the time of resignation.

After much effort and pursuation, now they posted me another reference letter. The letter describes my duties and other details quite very clear. But the reference letter they issued now is dated two years back, precisely my date of resignation.Can it be a problem if i submit this reference letter? The letter looks very new and it is dated two years back. I think they have done so to cover their back, so that they do not depart from the college policy. If i again request to put the dates correctly, i am sure they will not listen to.Seniors, please advice me whether i have to explain every thing in my covering letter about the reference letter or shall i pretend tht it is issued two years back (as dated in the letter).will it affect the credibility of my application? PMM, Rupeshhari, Leon and other seniors please advise.....Thank you very much.

canadp

Feb 25, 2009
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2009
VISA ISSUED...
29-06-2010
LANDED..........
29-07-2010
as per my opinion,

you should go with this new reference letter.. as it is issued by college and is a valid document.

you need not to mentioned when did you get it.

someone is not going to justify whether paper is 2 years old...even i have some certificates which are 5 years old still looks new.

canadp

PankajK

Mar 22, 2009
Vancouver, BC CANADA
Visa Office......
SINGAPORE
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
July 2009
AOR Received.
November 2010
Med's Done....
June 2012
Passport Req..
September 2012
VISA ISSUED...
September 2012
LANDED..........
November 2012 Vancouver, BC
Go with the new letter, even i have got my reference letter reprinted from my previous company with some corrections/improvements and detailed job responsibilities. they were kind enough to do it for me. the letter looks very new with same old dates but i think its okay.

well to have it an old look, keep your letter in the pile of old newspapers for a week or so, it will get some old look.

good luck

Nit4canada said:
Dear all,

I am planning to apply for migration on the basis of NOC 4131. I had taught some academic subjects in a college between 2005-2007. After working 2 years i resigned from the job due to my marriage. At the time of resignation, the college had issued me a reference letter, which i had to submit with some other application. Since i do not have a reference letter at the moment, i requested my previous employer to issue another reference letter. They told me that since they already issued me a resignation letter at the time of resignation, they will not issue new reference letter and they told it is the policy of the college not to issue reference letters later, other than at the time of resignation.

After much effort and pursuation, now they posted me another reference letter. The letter describes my duties and other details quite very clear. But the reference letter they issued now is dated two years back, precisely my date of resignation.Can it be a problem if i submit this reference letter? The letter looks very new and it is dated two years back. I think they have done so to cover their back, so that they do not depart from the college policy. If i again request to put the dates correctly, i am sure they will not listen to.Seniors, please advice me whether i have to explain every thing in my covering letter about the reference letter or shall i pretend tht it is issued two years back (as dated in the letter).will it affect the credibility of my application? PMM, Rupeshhari, Leon and other seniors please advise.....Thank you very much.

Nit4canada

May 13, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you very much Canadp and Pankaj. Your replies are very helpful.

The reason for my worry is the initial reference letter the college issued at the time of my resignation was very standared one with not much details of my duties. This time i too contacted the college and informed that it is for the purpose of canadian immigration. I suggested them that i needed duties and responsibilities in very detail this time and i send them a sugested format keeping in min my NOC code. They made some changes and issued a detailed letter which almost curresponds to the NOC code. But i was expecting the letter would be dated the actual date of issue. But unfortunately they issued it with old date.

From a visa officer's point of view, the reference letter looks like almost issued for the canadian immigration purpose, and it looks new aswell. While it is dated 2 years back, purported to have been issued at the time of my resignation. From a visa officer's pont of view it may not make sense. Thats the reason for my worry, because i did a 100% genuine work, my now my reference letter looks very odd.
Please seniors, do you have any other inputs to suggest on this. Thank you

pammi

Star Member
Feb 18, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2008
Doc's Request.
17-06-2009
Med's Request
22-9-2009
Med's Done....
12-10-2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
5 -11-2009
VISA ISSUED...
28-1-2010
LANDED..........
landed on 24 june toronto
Hi,
I have same problem.My company is closed now in which I have worked 4 years back.I have appointment letter,relieving letter and experience letter from there in back date so now I am taking 2 reference letter from my seniors who were there with me at that time on plane paper. They can say on my behalf if any enquirey goes to them and they both r working in goverment positions now so I will provide their business card also.I will also explain all in my cover letter that why I am not able to provide these reference letters on companys letter head.I think Its the only option i have.If u like u can also do this.Just provide letters on plane paper from your seniors who can write your duties and who r still work in that college If they want they can provide policies from ur college also
Thanks and all the best for ur application

Jukeblam

Aug 14, 2013
Bumping instead of creating a new thread.

I am unable to get a reference letter from my former place of employment; HR says it is company policy. I was only issued a certificate of service at resignation, containing dates of employment. Every other info required per CIC isn't included.

What documents can I collate to meet the reference letter requirement?

future_canadian

VIP Member
May 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jukeblam said:
Bumping instead of creating a new thread.

I am unable to get a reference letter from my former place of employment; HR says it is company policy. I was only issued a certificate of service at resignation, containing dates of employment. Every other info required per CIC isn't included.

What documents can I collate to meet the reference letter requirement?
Suggest getting your former supervisor to write a personal reference letter stating your job duties.