+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reconsideration request after visitor visa refusal

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
She is my sister in law. So my husband means her brother invited her. So should i add my bank statement and her husband’s bank statement to support more financially. Or is it not allowed in reconsideration
The purpose of reconsideration is that IRCC made an error in their laws/regulations in refusing the visa. So you address the errors in law by showing that all documentation provided was adequate in being approved for a study permit (e.g husband not accompanying, paying for own trip, only coming for two weeks). Providing new documentation is not proving error in law but a new application to address reasons for refusal.

sukhsidhu770

Star Member
Oct 23, 2018
The purpose of reconsideration is that IRCC made an error in their laws/regulations in refusing the visa. So you address the errors in law by showing that all documentation provided was adequate in being approved for a study permit (e.g husband not accompanying, paying for own trip, only coming for two weeks). Providing new documentation is not proving error in law but a new application to address reasons for refusal.
So what should i do in this case

sukhsidhu770

Star Member
Oct 23, 2018
I am so confused that should i go for reconsideration or no? I think i can prove the ties outside canada but I don’t know about financial situation and purpose of visit, if i will be able to convince officer. Because she was coming for summer vacation and vacation is about to end now

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am so confused that should i go for reconsideration or no? I think i can prove the ties outside canada but I don’t know about financial situation and purpose of visit, if i will be able to convince officer. Because she was coming for summer vacation and vacation is about to end now
You would have to hear from people on the forum, who submitted a webform asking for reconsideration, and whether it was approved and how long it took for a response (either refusal or approval). Reconsideration is not a formal process.

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
Reconsideration usually takes at least 4-6 weeks from the cases I Have seen - Personally know a friend who had her SOWP refused and then approved via reconsideration.

However there is no set timeline. So if you want to appeal this, then it has to be done in a certain time window

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Reconsideration is really only appropriate in a very limited amount of circumstances. I sounds like reapplying is more appropriate. How long has your SIL been married? Do your in-laws have TRVs? Do other family members live in Canada? It looks like you have been applying for TRVs for other family members. Is there a reasons for all the TRV applications?