+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Recommend a good immigration lawyer

ambreenk

Aug 6, 2014
Hi there, I am looking for someone to help me with my father's immigration application.

I applied for my father's immigration in 2010. I moved to the US temporarily in 2014 due to my husband's work. I now got a letter stating that I am ineligible to sponsor since I reside outside of Canada. Is there something that can be done? Please advise.

DanSlh

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2014
Brazil
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
File Transfer...
07-05-2015 AOR2............: 15-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
02-07-2015
This website is made by a team of immigration lawyers.
Click on canadavisa.com at the bottom of the page.

Ludacris

Sep 16, 2015
check out destinyimmigration!!!she is the best!!!Tell her one of her clients from london ontario sent u she might give you a discount:)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ambreenk said:
Hi there, I am looking for someone to help me with my father's immigration application.

I applied for my father's immigration in 2010. I moved to the US temporarily in 2014 due to my husband's work. I now got a letter stating that I am ineligible to sponsor since I reside outside of Canada. Is there something that can be done? Please advise.
You'll be wasting your money engaging a lawyer. One of the very explicit requirements for sponsoring a parent is that you must be residing in Canada for the duration of the application's processing. You no longer live in Canada and therefore no longer meet the base criteria for sponsoring your father. You can obviously feel free to engage a lawyer. But I think you'll be wasting your money since CIC has correctly determined that you are ineligible to sponsor a parent.

ambreenk

Aug 6, 2014
Thank you for the input. I understand that it is their requirement, however I did want to present my case stating that the move is temporary because of my husband's work. We are here on a work visa and renting a house. I wanted to tell them that I intend to come back once he is issued a visa. Also wondering if they can freeze the application till we return toCanada and then resume processing. Any thoughts?

DanSlh

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2014
Brazil
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
File Transfer...
07-05-2015 AOR2............: 15-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
02-07-2015
ambreenk said:
Thank you for the input. I understand that it is their requirement, however I did want to present my case stating that the move is temporary because of my husband's work. We are here on a work visa and renting a house. I wanted to tell them that I intend to come back once he is issued a visa. Also wondering if they can freeze the application till we return toCanada and then resume processing. Any thoughts?
I don't really think that they will freeze your process.
See, the elegibility of the sponsor os the stage 1 and it failed and CIC did right.
So it's case closed IMHO.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ambreenk said:
It doesn't matter if it is temporary. You are not residing in Canada and therefore do not qualify to sponsor.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
ambreenk said:
I concur with the other responses. You have been correctly refused and further more, your comment about "I intend to come back once he is issued a visa." really says that you had no intention of complying with the sponsorship application requirements.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I disagree to an extent. The fact remains, the Immigration Act does not define what "residing in Canada" actually means and case law acknowledges this. Does it mean physical presence only or do other factors (e.g. where ones affairs are centralized) help establish this?

From cases I've read on CanLii and the Federal Court, some Judges have said a sponsor can be absent from Canada but continue to 'reside in Canada' if they have maintained a significant connection to Canada. If the OP still has a house, bank accounts, investments, family, social ties, etc in Canada and can afford a lawyer, I think it's worth pursuing. If she's also a citizen, she has mobility rights and requiring her to be here 100% infringes upon those rights.

If the visa officer did not consider these other factors before arriving at their decision (to refuse sponsorship of her father), that may be sufficient to have the case referred to another officer.

@ambreenK, order your father's GCMS notes here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/atip/requests-atip.asp
You will also need a consent form signed by your Dad: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/atip/form-imm5744.asp

It may help to say which province so that people may be able to recommend. Otherwise, google immigration law firms for your city/province and read the profiles. Goodluck!

Here are some cases: https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/doc/2009/2009canlii78135/2009canlii78135.html?searchUrlHash=AAAAAQAScmVzaWRpbmcgaW4gY2FuYWRhAAAAAAE&resultIndex=8

With respect to the second criteria, the Panel in Lau noted that the test requires more than mere intention:

“For a person who is absent from Canada to continue to ‘reside in Canada' within the definition of ‘sponsor', he must maintain much more of a connection to Canada than simply not having the intention to abandon Canada as a permanent residence.”[5]

[14] A number of factors may be relied upon in order to determine whether a person has maintained a sufficient connection to Canada. They fall into four categories: family ties, residential ties, economic ties and social ties. Again, although this definition of the test was made in a slightly different context, it remains relevant to the case at bar in that the same criteria can serve to assess whether the evidence indicates that, on a balance of probabilities, the appellant intends to reside in Canada if the applicant becomes a permanent resident.

The Panel does not agree with the submission made by the Minister's counsel that the appeal should be dismissed among other reasons because the appellant has no intention to permanently reside in Canada, but only until such time when his daughter is eligible for Canadian citizenship. As a Canadian citizen, the appellant is not required to live in Canada permanently. His undertaking as a sponsor is for a period of ten years[8] and presumably shorter since the intention of the applicant is to apply for Canadian citizenship as soon as she becomes eligible. Therefore the fact that he may not live in Canada beyond such period is not a negative factor in this case.

Here's a case where the appeal was allowed: https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/doc/2006/2006canlii60887/2006canlii60887.html?searchUrlHash=AAAAAQAScmVzaWRpbmcgaW4gY2FuYWRhAAAAAAE&resultIndex=13