+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Recently got married

Shn05

Star Member
Apr 13, 2018
Hi everyone, I’m a Canadian Citizen who got married in the philippines last month and I’m already back in Canada. What to do next? Aside from updating CIC about my marital status. My husband have a tourist visa valid until 2022, would it be easier if he applies through in-land sponsorship or outland?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
No difference in the way or time the applications are approved. Advantages for inland...open work permit. Disadvantage...no appeal.
Outland advantage...appeal process. Disadvantage...no open work permit and the possibility of an interview in your home country.

Note that you can apply inland or Outland while in Canada.

andrew3081

Apr 6, 2018
You need to get marriage certificate from PSA but sometimes it take up to 6 months for the marriage certificate to be processed by PSA...you might want to speed things up by getting advanced endorsement from city hall.

Shn05

Star Member
Apr 13, 2018
No difference in the way or time the applications are approved. Advantages for inland...open work permit. Disadvantage...no appeal.
Outland advantage...appeal process. Disadvantage...no open work permit and the possibility of an interview in your home country.

Note that you can apply inland or Outland while in Canada.
If we apply for outland sponsorship while he’s here in Canada, he would have to come back to the Philippines if he get invited for an interview. Am I right?

Shn05

Star Member
Apr 13, 2018
You need to get marriage certificate from PSA but sometimes it take up to 6 months for the marriage certificate to be processed by PSA...you might want to speed things up by getting advanced endorsement from city hall.
What else do I have to do now that I’m married? Is it mandatory that I changed all my id’s or I could keep my last name as long as I want to

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
But the perks of applying inland is he could apply for an open work permit at the same time? Which timeline would be faster? Applying outland or inland?
They both indicate the same timeline for average processing....12 months. And yes, the OWP can be applied for at the same time.

Shn05

Star Member
Apr 13, 2018
They both indicate the same timeline for average processing....12 months. And yes, the OWP can be applied for at the same time.
How long would it take to get the decision for OWP? So when we submit our sponsorship files, we should also include OWP on the application if he’s applying inland?

andrew3081

Apr 6, 2018
What else do I have to do now that I’m married? Is it mandatory that I changed all my id’s or I could keep my last name as long as I want to
My Filipina wife just kept her original last name to make it easier and less complications. If you change last name, you have to get a new passport and other ID which might cause dely. There is no requirement to change last name.

Shn05

Star Member
Apr 13, 2018
My Filipina wife just kept her original last name to make it easier and less complications. If you change last name, you have to get a new passport and other ID which might cause dely. There is no requirement to change last name.
I will be the one who’s sponsoring him. So it would be bettEr if I keep my last name for now and just change them in the future once he gets his PR.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I will be the one who’s sponsoring him. So it would be bettEr if I keep my last name for now and just change them in the future once he gets his PR.
Changing your name has no effect on the app. Do it now, do it later, entirely your personal decision.

Reactions: Shn05