+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Recently applied for an Open Work Permit from Nigeria?

Lasgidi007

Jan 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Waived
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-02-2014
Med's Done....
11-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived.
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Issued 10-03-2014
LANDED..........
April 2014
Hi! This thread is mainly for people who have recently applied for a Spousal Open Work Permit (S-OWP) from the Canadian Deputy High Commission in Lagos, Nigeria. I'd appreciate any feedback/advice from your experiences. It'll also be great if we can share timelines. I submitted an online application for a S-OWP on September 24 2013 but until now have not received any information regarding the application from the embassy. According to current processing times, it'll take the very busy Canadian Deputy High Commission in Lagos only 5 months to process the application so I really have nothing to complain about yet unless of course I happen to have garnered from this forum that it takes other visa offices like the ones in New Delhi/Mumbai (India) 20-22 lengthy days to process similar applications! I digress.

Is there anyone with or without recent experience of applying for a S-OWP or any other type of work permit from the visa office in Nigeria willing to share some relevant helpful information on this thread? I'd be very thankful for any relevant information (from anybody). Thanks!

Lasgidi007

Jan 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Waived
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-02-2014
Med's Done....
11-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived.
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Issued 10-03-2014
LANDED..........
April 2014
Lasgidi007 said:
Hi! This thread is mainly for people who have recently applied for a Spousal Open Work Permit (S-OWP) from the Canadian Deputy High Commission in Lagos, Nigeria. I'd appreciate any feedback/advice from your experiences. It'll also be great if we can share timelines. I submitted an online application for a S-OWP on September 24 2013 but until now have not received any information regarding the application from the embassy. According to current processing times, it'll take the very busy Canadian Deputy High Commission in Lagos only 5 months to process the application so I really have nothing to complain about yet unless of course I happen to have garnered from this forum that it takes other visa offices like the ones in New Delhi/Mumbai (India) 20-22 lengthy days to process similar applications! I digress.

Is there anyone with or without recent experience of applying for a S-OWP or any other type of work permit from the visa office in Nigeria willing to share some relevant helpful information on this thread? I'd be very thankful for any relevant information (from anybody). Thanks!
So, after nearly 6 months of waiting, I got my S-OWP approved! Sooooooooooo relieved and happy!

iceage

Star Member
Oct 31, 2013
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
<br>Express Entry (Point: 392), <br>Applied under SINP EE <br>In Process 30-06-2015<br> After Nomination (Point: 992)
Doc's Request.
No request from SINP
Nomination.....
03-09-2015
AOR Received.
09-06-2015
IELTS Request
Uploaded
Med's Done....
10-09-2015
Passport Req..
Waiting...
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting...
LANDED..........
Waiting...
Hi Lasgidi007, Congrats!!
Can you share what are the documents you submitted? what was your proposed length of stay and purpose there you written on file?

Kind regards,
Kaiser

nemstic

Apr 8, 2014
Has anyone apply recently for Spouse open work permit or even open work permit is Lagos, Nigeria?, please share timeline. Thanks

I applied May 14 in Lagos. still waiting .

favour2014

Nov 1, 2014
Lasgidi007 said:

Congrats on your approval.
please kindly shed more light on ur application.
like ...
was ur spouse in canada at the time u applied?
what docs did u submit?

Lasgidi007

Jan 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Waived
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-02-2014
Med's Done....
11-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived.
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Issued 10-03-2014
LANDED..........
April 2014
favour2014 said:
Congrats on your approval.
please kindly shed more light on ur application.
like ...
was ur spouse in canada at the time u applied?
what docs did u submit?
Yes, my spouse was already in Canada when I applied.
I submitted all the documents required (they will be listed on the online application). For those not specifically listed, I included them as part of my Letter of Explanation.

Employment letters
Emplyers' reference letters

Certificates/degrees from schools attended (to show I was well qualified for my intended job in Canada)
Bank statements from both my spouse in Canada me then in Nigeria.

I'll probably have to check and get back to you, but I think that's about it. Good luck!

Lasgidi007

Jan 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Waived
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-02-2014
Med's Done....
11-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived.
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Issued 10-03-2014
LANDED..........
April 2014
iceage said:
Hi Lasgidi007, Congrats!!
Can you share what are the documents you submitted? what was your proposed length of stay and purpose there you written on file?

Kind regards,
Kaiser
Regardless of the proposed length of stay, the work permit will expire at the same time as your spouse's work or study permit. So with that in mind, I stated that I would be leaving Canada immediately my spouse's assignment in Canada was concluded. You are entitled to stay as long as your spouse if you are applying for a S-OWP.

Reactions: Lizy90

Jojcanada

Dec 4, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all. Here's my dilemma. I just received my study permit for a one year PG course in Canada. My spouse will like to join me early next year. Is it wise to apply for a spouse open work permit? How do we prove to the VO we will both return? If the process takes 6 months is it better to apply for visit visa and apply for OWP in Canada? Please help

Lasgidi007

Jan 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Waived
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-02-2014
Med's Done....
11-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived.
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Issued 10-03-2014
LANDED..........
April 2014
Jojcanada said:
Hello all. Here's my dilemma. I just received my study permit for a one year PG course in Canada. My spouse will like to join me early next year. Is it wise to apply for a spouse open work permit? How do we prove to the VO we will both return? If the process takes 6 months is it better to apply for visit visa and apply for OWP in Canada? Please help
It's better to apply NOW for a spousal open work permit. If you are not from a visa-exempt country and your spouse does not have an extensive travel history, it may be difficult to demonstrate that they would leave Canada at the end of your studies/expiration of their work permit. Furthermore, if you have less than 6 months left before your study permit expires/the end of your studies, you may not be able to successfully apply for your spouse's work permit. The earlier the better. In general, if you are not from a visa exempt country, it's always better to apply for a spousal open work permit instead of a visitor's visas. Your spouse can get the work permit now and then travel later when they're ready. Whatever you used to prove you would return in the first place, should be good for your spouse's application too. In general, property, family ties and good economic prospects could point to an applicant's readiness to leave Canada at the end of their legal stay. Good luck!

adione

Mar 7, 2015
Lasgidi007 said:
Yes, my spouse was already in Canada when I applied.
I submitted all the documents required (they will be listed on the online application). For those not specifically listed, I included them as part of my Letter of Explanation.

Employment letters
Emplyers' reference letters

Certificates/degrees from schools attended (to show I was well qualified for my intended job in Canada)
Bank statements from both my spouse in Canada me then in Nigeria.

I'll probably have to check and get back to you, but I think that's about it. Good luck!
Hi Lasgidi007, Pls I have some questions for you. My spouse has got admission for postgraduate studies, we want to apply together for study permit and open work permit. Do you know of anyone who has done this succeessfully. Secondly must I show SOA if I am not working at the moment as I quit my job last year? What if my spouse if financially capable of sponsoring both of us. He has a job and landed properties and 2 tenant houses.