Med's Request
21-02-2015
Med's Done....
07-03-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-06-2015
Please advise me on the recent processing timelines on Indian Passport Surrender Certificate and Entry Visa. We are scheduled for our Oath Ceremony on this week and we have our tickets booked to India in the 1st week of July. Do BLS Brampton walk-ins now? Any guidance and advise is highly appreciated.

framepersec

Sep 5, 2022
I am wondering what happens if you don't surrender the Indian passport and also never use it again. My Indian passport expires in about a year and I have been a Canadian citizen for roughly 4 years now. There has been no need for me to go to India in last 4 years and probably never will be so what exactly happens to the passport when it expires?

From my understanding, the Indian citizenship was automatically denounced the day I acquired foreign citizenship and the surrender of passport seems more of a step for people who need to visit India in future and/or have OCI status.

What I am really interested in understanding is am I considered a dual citizen until this passport expires and beyond?

Thanks for answering!

Varunaimar

Jan 25, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-03-2018
AOR Received.
20-05-2018
IELTS Request
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
08-05-2018
Passport Req..
20-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2019
I am wondering what happens if you don't surrender the Indian passport and also never use it again. My Indian passport expires in about a year and I have been a Canadian citizen for roughly 4 years now. There has been no need for me to go to India in last 4 years and probably never will be so what exactly happens to the passport when it expires?

From my understanding, the Indian citizenship was automatically denounced the day I acquired foreign citizenship and the surrender of passport seems more of a step for people who need to visit India in future and/or have OCI status.

What I am really interested in understanding is am I considered a dual citizen until this passport expires and beyond?

Thanks for answering!
Ok firstly, irrespective of your passport, the moment you took oath as a Canadian you ceased to be an Indian citizen. Your passport expiry has nothing to do with it.
I’m not sure what happens if you use your Indian passport to travel somewhere other than India.

Reactions: framepersec

Leo0806

Star Member
Jun 21, 2022

Thanks for answering!
You should surrender your Indian passport as per the law and only use your Canadian Passport for travel.

framepersec

Sep 5, 2022
Thanks for answering guys.

I have not used my Indian passport to travel and don't plan on doing so in future either. Guess what I am trying to understand is if I should pay 100-200 bucks to surrender something which is not valid anyways especially since I don't see a need to travel to India anytime in the future. And also, if Canada would consider me a dual citizen if I have a valid passport from India.

Varunaimar

Jan 25, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-03-2018
AOR Received.
20-05-2018
IELTS Request
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
08-05-2018
Passport Req..
20-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2019
Thanks for answering guys.

I have not used my Indian passport to travel and don't plan on doing so in future either. Guess what I am trying to understand is if I should pay 100-200 bucks to surrender something which is not valid anyways especially since I don't see a need to travel to India anytime in the future. And also, if Canada would consider me a dual citizen if I have a valid passport from India.
I'm not exactly sure what your ask is here. Surely, for all intents and purposes, Canada would know India does not support dual citizenship. How does it affect Canada in anyway?

Remember, passports and citizenship are two different things. Having two passports, whatever the situation, does not accord you dual Citizenship status.

I answered your question saying that passport is just a travel document. You dont need a passport to be a citizen of that country. As per Indian law, you are no longer an Indian citizen the moment you accepted Canadian citizenship, so the context of dual citizenship does not arise.

I'm not sure what would happen if you use your Indian passport in anyway when you havent surrendered it, although you're right in saying those who need to apply for OCI/ entry visa need to surrender the Indian passport and obtain the Canadian citizenship certificate/ passport.

Last edited:
Reactions: framepersec

framepersec

Sep 5, 2022
I'm not exactly sure what your ask is here. Surely, for all intents and purposes, Canada would know India does not support dual citizenship. How does it affect Canada in anyway?

Remember, passports and citizenship are two different things. Having two passports, whatever the situation, does not accord you dual Citizenship status.

I answered your question saying that passport is just a travel document. You dont need a passport to be a citizen of that country. As per Indian law, you are no longer an Indian citizen the moment you accepted Canadian citizenship, so the context of dual citizenship does not arise.

I'm not sure what would happen if you use your Indian passport in anyway when you havent surrendered it, although you're right in saying those who need to apply for OCI/ entry visa need to surrender the Indian passport and obtain the Canadian citizenship certificate/ passport.
Back in 2015 or 2014, the govt passed C-24 which created citizenship tiers and essentially made dual citizens 2nd class citizens who can lose their citizenship in certain extreme situations. Although this was overturned in 2021, and this specific bill only targeted criminals, it set the precedent that such a provision can be created and citizenship can be stripped off.

This is what I was thinking: In a hypothetical situation the govt rules if you have not resided in Canada for 3 years and hold dual citizenship, your Canadian citizenship will be revoked. Now, if you have an unresolved passport issue like you haven't surrendered Indian passport or officially renounced, can you be considered dual citizen?

Your answer clarifies that Indian citizenship was automatically canceled the moment Canadian citizenship was acquired so regardless of holding a passport with valid dates I am not considered an Indian citizen which makes absolute sense but could you please provide a source for this conclusion. From what I read, surrendering the passport is the final step in the renunciation process.

I have absolutely no intention of breaking the rules by using the Indian passport ever again so I am not worried about that part. But the question is should I pay 150 bucks to surrender it when I know it expires in a year and that I won't be seeking OCI or an entry visa to India in the future.

And further in that case, should I securely destroy it now or wait till it expires or just let it expire and keep it in my possession?

Thank you so much for your time!

Varunaimar

Jan 25, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-03-2018
AOR Received.
20-05-2018
IELTS Request
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
08-05-2018
Passport Req..
20-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2019
Back in 2015 or 2014, the govt passed C-24 which created citizenship tiers and essentially made dual citizens 2nd class citizens who can lose their citizenship in certain extreme situations. Although this was overturned in 2021, and this specific bill only targeted criminals, it set the precedent that such a provision can be created and citizenship can be stripped off.
So we are talking about situations where the citizenship status can be revoked, and thats a completely different discussion. Canadian citizenship is protected under UN conventions (Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness (accession by Canada in 1978) where if revoking your citizenship would leave you stateless, they will not revoke it.

https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/services/canada-united-nations-system/treaties.html#a2a

This is what I was thinking: In a hypothetical situation the govt rules if you have not resided in Canada for 3 years and hold dual citizenship, your Canadian citizenship will be revoked. Now, if you have an unresolved passport issue like you haven't surrendered Indian passport or officially renounced, can you be considered dual citizen?
Once again, you're NOT a dual citizen. Grant of Canadian citizenship is not a checklist, but a rather thorough process where multiple agencies go through your application and arrive at a consensus that you deserve to be granted citizenship under Canadian laws. Chances of such an error on the agencies part is extremely low. If hypothetically such a situation happens, then the UN convention will apply.

If you do not meet the residency obligations, your application will be rejected and the reason for rejection will be stated. If you're to assume many people will overlook this error and grant you citizenship, they will review, fix their error and invite you to re-apply.

Your answer clarifies that Indian citizenship was automatically canceled the moment Canadian citizenship was acquired so regardless of holding a passport with valid dates I am not considered an Indian citizen which makes absolute sense but could you please provide a source for this conclusion. From what I read, surrendering the passport is the final step in the renunciation process.
Quoting Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India:

As per the Passports Act 1967, it is mandatory for all Indian passport holders to surrender their passports to the nearest Indian Mission/Post immediately after acquisition of foreign nationality. Misuse of Indian passports constitutes an offence under Section 12(1A) of the Passports Act 1967.

I invite you to google the Act and pursue the matter further if you so wish to.

I have absolutely no intention of breaking the rules by using the Indian passport ever again so I am not worried about that part. But the question is should I pay 150 bucks to surrender it when I know it expires in a year and that I won't be seeking OCI or an entry visa to India in the future.

And further in that case, should I securely destroy it now or wait till it expires or just let it expire and keep it in my possession?

Thank you so much for your time!
My humble suggestion is to follow the law, however it may apply to your situation. Trying to find loopholes to avoid spending $150 will only backfire upon you in ways you or me would not even be aware of.

Last edited:
Reactions: A_S

viralsagar20

May 1, 2018
This thread has lost the track.. its about Surrender certificate and OCI. If you have questions on dual citizenship and Indian and Canadian passport. Please take it else where

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
This thread has lost the track.. its about Surrender certificate and OCI. If you have questions on dual citizenship and Indian and Canadian passport. Please take it else where
And do you realize that you lost track by commenting on more than 1year old thread.. :)