+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Receiving Permanent Residence after a decision made on application

SkinnyMarie

Apr 16, 2013
Hello,

I am an American applying for permanent residence under the family class(common-law) and my timeline according to the Canadian Immigration website is:

1) Received application for permanent residence Dec. 2, 2011
2)Started processing application on July 18, 2013
3) Medical Results have been received (no date listed)
4) A decision has been made on your application. The office will contact you concerning this decision (no date listed)

Does anyone have an idea of approximately how long it takes to find out what the decision is? Is it something they will send in the mail? If the decision is yes will they be sending me my permanent residence card? If a decision is made does this mean we don't have to do an interview?

When I went through Canadian customs about a week ago the immigration/customs agent was super mean to me and I was trying to explain my situation and he kept yelling/asking me if a first decision had been made on my case and I wasn't sure what he meant by that. Is the decision I have listed above considered a "first decision"? He almost didn't let me through and suggested that I apply for an extended visitors visa as he stamped my passport and wrote that I had to leave Canada by Jan. 2014 instead of the normal 6 months stamp. I don't know if it is necessary for me to do this if I will be receiving my decision soon. Feeling very frustrated! Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I assume you applied outland and not inland.
If you have decision made, then there is no interview required. Since you didn't do an interview, and there were no serious concerns about your eligibility that were emailed to you by the VO, then it's practically a sure thing you are now approved for PR.

The next step is they will mail your COPR documents to the mailing address you have on file.

If you are in Canada now and your mailing address is in USA, you'll have to return home to get the COPR, or have someone mail them to you here. With COPR, you just go back to any Canada/USA land border, and say you want to land as a PR. The landing process is incredibly simple and easy... just make sure you have your B4 document ready listing all your goods that you'll be importing into Canada.

SkinnyMarie

Apr 16, 2013
Okay, thank you. Do you know if they will actually be sending me my PR card or will I have to apply for that after I check in at the border. I hope that is not a dumb question I am just a little bit confused when looking at the cic website and I would like to get that application but together asap if i need to do it.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
SkinnyMarie said:
Okay, thank you. Do you know if they will actually be sending me my PR card or will I have to apply for that after I check in at the border. I hope that is not a dumb question I am just a little bit confused when looking at the cic website and I would like to get that application but together asap if i need to do it.
Only thing you have to prepare in advance is the B4 customs forms for your goods.

You will get only the COPR (Confimation of PR) in the mail first. You just give this COPR document to the immigration officer doing your landing, and they will do all the necessary paperwork to apply for the PR card, which will be mailed to you a few months later at the address you specify.

Canuckluvus

Star Member
Jan 26, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-03-2013
AOR Received.
20-03-2013
Med's Done....
05-02-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-10-2013
LANDED..........
14-12-2013
SkinnyMarie said:
Hello,

I am an American applying for permanent residence under the family class(common-law) and my timeline according to the Canadian Immigration website is:

1) Received application for permanent residence Dec. 2, 2011
2)Started processing application on July 18, 2013
3) Medical Results have been received (no date listed)
4) A decision has been made on your application. The office will contact you concerning this decision (no date listed)

Does anyone have an idea of approximately how long it takes to find out what the decision is? Is it something they will send in the mail? If the decision is yes will they be sending me my permanent residence card? If a decision is made does this mean we don't have to do an interview?

When I went through Canadian customs about a week ago the immigration/customs agent was super mean to me and I was trying to explain my situation and he kept yelling/asking me if a first decision had been made on my case and I wasn't sure what he meant by that. Is the decision I have listed above considered a "first decision"? He almost didn't let me through and suggested that I apply for an extended visitors visa as he stamped my passport and wrote that I had to leave Canada by Jan. 2014 instead of the normal 6 months stamp. I don't know if it is necessary for me to do this if I will be receiving my decision soon. Feeling very frustrated! Any input is appreciated. Thank you!
you don't mention when your sponsorship application was approved. I think that that is what he was referring to by "first decision" statement. Before a decision is made about the PR application one has to be made about sponsorship. That decision will be sent to your sponsor.

NZ2AB

Oct 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2013
AOR Received.
13-08-2013
File Transfer...
22-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
16-10-2013
Mine and my husband's application just switched to "Decision Made". How long should we expect to wait for the official COPR to arrive in the mail?

NZ2AB

Oct 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2013
AOR Received.
13-08-2013
File Transfer...
22-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
16-10-2013
Rob_TO said:
I assume you applied outland and not inland.
If you have decision made, then there is no interview required. Since you didn't do an interview, and there were no serious concerns about your eligibility that were emailed to you by the VO, then it's practically a sure thing you are now approved for PR.

The next step is they will mail your COPR documents to the mailing address you have on file.

If you are in Canada now and your mailing address is in USA, you'll have to return home to get the COPR, or have someone mail them to you here. With COPR, you just go back to any Canada/USA land border, and say you want to land as a PR. The landing process is incredibly simple and easy... just make sure you have your B4 document ready listing all your goods that you'll be importing into Canada.
Wait - is it true for outland you have to leave Canada to get your COPR from your home country address? My husband is on a visitor visa here in Canada. He is from New Zealand and we added to our Appendix B a return address of where we currently live in Canada assuming the documents would arrive here. We received a decision made on October 18, 2013.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
No, it's not true. Rob_TO's point is simply that the poster's COPR will be sent to the mailing address on file because it sounded as though he is 'visiting' Canada and his papers will be mailed to his home country. So long as CIC has a Canadian address on file for you, you simply have to 'flagpole' (drive to the nearest border) to get turned around and complete landing procedures.

NZ2AB

Oct 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2013
AOR Received.
13-08-2013
File Transfer...
22-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
16-10-2013
truesmile said:
No, it's not true. Rob_TO's point is simply that the poster's COPR will be sent to the mailing address on file because it sounded as though he is 'visiting' Canada and his papers will be mailed to his home country. So long as CIC has a Canadian address on file for you, you simply have to 'flagpole' (drive to the nearest border) to get turned around and complete landing procedures.
Thanks truesmile!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
NZ2AB said:
Wait - is it true for outland you have to leave Canada to get your COPR from your home country address? My husband is on a visitor visa here in Canada. He is from New Zealand and we added to our Appendix B a return address of where we currently live in Canada assuming the documents would arrive here. We received a decision made on October 18, 2013.
If you had any New Zealand address on the application at all, of if you originally had New Zealand and then updated it to Canada after he moved here... then also try to monitor your mailbox in New Zealand as well. The visa office SHOULD send your COPR directly to Canada, but you never know with them and they may use an old address.

If COPR does go to New Zealand, hopefully you have someone there that can monitor your mail, and express post it to Canada if needed. Then it's just a simple step to drive to the nearest USA/Canada land border to do your landing.

NZ2AB

Oct 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2013
AOR Received.
13-08-2013
File Transfer...
22-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
16-10-2013
COPR JUST arrived here with us in CANADA! Planning to land this weekend!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
NZ2AB said:
COPR JUST arrived here with us in CANADA! Planning to land this weekend!
Congrats! Enjoy your landing.

skystride

Feb 21, 2014
Hello,

My wife is in the exact same boat as the original poster. We got decision made status and we called and they confirmed that they mailed a letter to her USA address in NYC (a bit weird since on the CIC website, I have my Canadian address set as mailing address). We have not received the letter yet and it's just over a week (hoping it's just slow and not lost).

So when she gets the letter, does she have to go to a land border (like Niagara Falls which is closest to us from Toronto)? They can't do the same processing at the airport in Toronto?

m23khan

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
Hi Folks,

This is the thread I been looking to ask my question as well:

I am sponsoring my Wife and her portion of the application now says 'Decision Made' as of April 23rd. They also mention online in the status that CIC will contact my Wife with the decision.

Quick Question:

- Given that the decision went to 'decision made' (and this is after her re-medical), how long do you reckon CIC will take to contact her -- assuming if they email her?

Visa office: London, UK
Wife location: Karachi, Pakistan

Both my Wife and I are waiting desperately to hear the good news so I can plan my trip and pick her up :D

Thank you very much in advance.