+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Receiving COPR for CEC Inland Application While being Outside Canada

Andyscm15

Feb 29, 2020
HI All, I have specific question regarding working in US while my PR application is pending. Currently I am in Canada and I have received ITA(CEC and Arranged employment) and in the process of submitting the documents. In the meantime my H1 is approved from the same employer and have got an appointment in Jan. My employer is asking me to Join US operations as soon as I get the stamping. My question is once I submit the PR can I travel to US and wait until PR is approved?
Thank You ...

ypd_ken

Star Member
Jan 21, 2019
Things have drastically changed in the last few months. If you are in Canada, you will not received a PPR, you will get an email with your COPR and as on that date your will become a PR.

If you are outside Canada, only then will you will sent a PPR, to submit your passport for PR visa. If you are planning to move to another country, you will have to send a webform and update your address.

If you are travelling for a short duration, you do not need to inform.
Hello @legalfalcon Sir,

I am an inland CEC applicant and have received CoPR. My PR has been confirmed in email recently and have asked me to submit the CoPR documnet and a photograph to apply for PR card. I had few queries and reqest your help to address them,
1) How much time does it take to receive PR card in current sitution once we submit documents
2) If I am required to travel ourside of Canada, is it advisable to apply for PR card by submitting the documents and travel back to Canada after receiving the PR card. The reason being I may be required to stay outside of Canada for 3-4 months due to prsonal emergecy in family. Can you please advise here.
Thanks in advance.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hello @legalfalcon Sir,

I am an inland CEC applicant and have received CoPR. My PR has been confirmed in email recently and have asked me to submit the CoPR documnet and a photograph to apply for PR card. I had few queries and reqest your help to address them,
1) How much time does it take to receive PR card in current sitution once we submit documents
2) If I am required to travel ourside of Canada, is it advisable to apply for PR card by submitting the documents and travel back to Canada after receiving the PR card. The reason being I may be required to stay outside of Canada for 3-4 months due to prsonal emergecy in family. Can you please advise here.
Thanks in advance.
Usually the first PR card would take 3-5 weeks, but many people have stated that it can take 2-4 months.

If you travel outside Canada you will need a PR card to return back. If you do not have a PR card then you will have to apply for a PRTD from the country you re travelling to.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-travel-document.html

saroya

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
@legalfalcon My Aor is on April 9 2020. Called IRCC yesterday and she said background check is in process. I am planning to go outside of Canada at end of December. I have valid work permit till June 2021 and TRV till 2022.. would there be an issue upon my return ?? Please help

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
@legalfalcon My Aor is on April 9 2020. Called IRCC yesterday and she said background check is in process. I am planning to go outside of Canada at end of December. I have valid work permit till June 2021 and TRV till 2022.. would there be an issue upon my return ?? Please help
Have you passed eligibility?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
After your application is filed, it is locked. You can travel anywhere across the globe and it has no impact on your application.

However, if you move to a different country, i.e. change your country of residence, you have to inform IRCC of your new address.

Mario 66

Sep 12, 2020
After your application is filed, it is locked. You can travel anywhere across the globe and it has no impact on your application.

However, if you move to a different country, i.e. change your country of residence, you have to inform IRCC of your new address.
Could you please tell me where did you get this part?
"if you move to a different country, i.e. change your country of residence, you have to inform IRCC of your new address."

I heard that once you submit the documents, there is no need to update the file. I asked from several immigration lawyers that no need to update job, etc after AOR...

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Could you please tell me where did you get this part?
"if you move to a different country, i.e. change your country of residence, you have to inform IRCC of your new address."

I heard that once you submit the documents, there is no need to update the file. I asked from several immigration lawyers that no need to update job, etc after AOR...
This is not about job etc. This is your address. If you move to a different country, your VO will change and when you receive your PPR, it will be based on the instructions for the country you are in.

The application is locked on the day it is filed so change in job, is not required. However, if you no longer work at the employer for which you claimed points, you should inform IRCC, since if they call your employer, they should be aware that you no longer work there.

Also, when your family composition changes, you have to inform IRCC.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=627&top=4

janemf

Jul 15, 2020
Hi,
My situation is similar to some people here. My application is currently in progress (inland, AOR April 20) and I moved to the UK. I still need to give my biometrics and I will go the the VAC here. Do I need to raise a web form saying that I moved abroad? What is the impact in my application? Thanks

bebopt

Oct 22, 2020
Hi, I have a similar question.

I am inland CEC PR applicant. So far, my application status is on biometrics completed.

I might need to travel to the US on December, but I am wondering if my PR is approved (I get the COPR) will my visa (I have a PGWP and worker's visa valid until 2022) be cancelled?

My trip should be for 2 weeks.
I am worried that I might be outside of Canada (or near the date of my travel) when I get the COPR and would have to apply for PRTD which could take more than 1 month specially considering the time of the year.

Thank you for the assistance

gta88

Jun 30, 2018
Things have drastically changed in the last few months. If you are in Canada, you will not received a PPR, you will get an email with your COPR and as on that date your will become a PR.

If you are outside Canada, only then will you will sent a PPR, to submit your passport for PR visa. If you are planning to move to another country, you will have to send a webform and update your address.

If you are travelling for a short duration, you do not need to inform.
Great suggestion.
Isn't it possible that a person may receive Landing letter if he is outside Canada (for a short vacation) and his status will have changed to that of a PR? Wouldn't it mean that the TRV he was holding onto would be automatically cancelled and then the person would have to apply for a PRTD directly from outside Canada ? Or can he still use that TRV to come back to Canada?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Great suggestion.
Isn't it possible that a person may receive Landing letter if he is outside Canada (for a short vacation) and his status will have changed to that of a PR? Wouldn't it mean that the TRV he was holding onto would be automatically cancelled and then the person would have to apply for a PRTD directly from outside Canada ? Or can he still use that TRV to come back to Canada?
Your assumption is right and this is logically what should happen. This is why IRCC is now implementing a new portal to validate COPRs and PR visas to know if the applicant is in Canada or outside. Also, before the PPR is sent, during the final review, IRCC does confirm though the FOSS check if the applicant is in Canada or not. Starting 2018, all exit an entries from to to canada by any individual are logged in the system.

Also, now IRCC is sending this email to many applicants that reads:

I have been assigned to process your Permanent Resident Application XXXXXxXX - parties on this application are - XXXXXX (UCI XXXxxxxx) and family Xxxxxxxx(UCI xxxxxxxx), xxxxxxx (UCI xxxxxxxxxx),and Xxxxxxxxxx (UCI xxxxxxxxxx) .

Can you please verify that you and all family members on this application are currently in Canada at this time. If all family members are in Canada, then they can be granted Permanent Resident Status Virtually. If you are not in Canada, then you will be landed either at a Port of entry upon returning to the country or you can make an appointment with Immigration upon returning to the country.

Reactions: gta88

Mario 66

Sep 12, 2020
Your assumption is right and this is logically what should happen. This is why IRCC is now implementing a new portal to validate COPRs and PR visas to know if the applicant is in Canada or outside. Also, before the PPR is sent, during the final review, IRCC does confirm though the FOSS check if the applicant is in Canada or not. Starting 2018, all exit an entries from to to canada by any individual are logged in the system.

Also, now IRCC is sending this email to many applicants that reads:

IRCC only check the entry and exit with US and do not check international flights. With regard to the confirmation emails that if you are in CANADA that you posted here, I have been asking from many people who are receiving CORP recently and they have not received any email nor call from an officer to check their status. Things have changed during the pandemic though.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
IRCC only check the entry and exit with US and do not check international flights. With regard to the confirmation emails that if you are in CANADA that you posted here, I have been asking from many people who are receiving CORP recently and they have not received any email nor call from an officer to check their status. Things have changed during the pandemic though.
You are correct, that was the case. However, it has now changed after Bill C 21 was passed and now travel information on all travellers is collected and stored by CBSA and shared with IRCC as per the MoU.

Background
The program’s purpose was to establish a coordinated Entry/Exit Information System to facilitate the exchange of travellers’ biographic information (such as their name and date of birth) collected upon entry at the common land border, so a record of entry into one country can be considered a record of exit from the other.

In addition to the exchange of data with the U.S. at the land border, regulations for the air mode came into force June 25, 2020, allowing the CBSA to begin collecting pre-departure exit information and exit records directly from commercial air carriers.

With the passing of Bill C 21, An Act to amend the Customs Act, data on all travellers (including Canadian and U. S. citizens) has begun to accumulate as of July 11, 2019 for travel by land. On June 25, 2020, the CBSA began collecting pre-departure exit information and exit records directly from commercial air carriers. From this date, commercial air carriers will have exactly 1 year to comply.

Collection and access to traveller data
The Customs Act currently allows the CBSA to collect land entry and exit data and air entry data on all travellers. Regulatory amendments for exits by air came into force in June 2020. Under the IRCC–CBSA MOU, information sharing between both departments for the administration and enforcement of IRPA is considered consistent use, as per paragraph 8(2)(a) of the Privacy Act.

Where entry and exit information has been deemed relevant to an IRCC officer’s decision in relation to a specific program (outlined in this document), access is granted by way of system user roles; only roles that allow a user to render a decision on an application in GCMS have access to the “Entry/Exit” tab.

See https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/entry-exit.html