+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Receiving COPR for CEC Inland Application While being Outside Canada

ahafiz

May 1, 2020
Hello Everyone,

I received the ITA on June 10, 2020 under CEC
Submitted my application and received the AOR on June 11, 2020 with the medical exam upfront
Received the BIL on July 27, 2020

Right now I'm like everyone stuck at giving my Biometrics. My situation is I may have to travel soon within a month. However my current PGWP has expired (Already applied for BOWP and application is still in process so I have an implied status) and my TRV has expired too and I can't renew it without getting the new work permit first. So right now if I leave Canada, I won't be able to come back.

I checked that a VAC is open where I'm travelling to. So I can make an appointment there and submit my biometrics.

The thing I'm worried about is let's say they processed my application after receiving the biometrics and everything went well. My understanding is that IRCC will ask me to send my passport and will mail back the COPR and the PR visa to me. In this case, Can I just mail my passport to the Canadian embassy or to a VAC where I am and they will issue me the COPR and the PR visa?

Should I send them a message through the web form when I'm outside Canada and they will adjust accordingly?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited:
Reactions: Walle_007

Walle_007

Aug 8, 2019
Hello Everyone,

Submitted my application and received the AOR on June 11, 2020 with the medical exam upfront

Right now I'm like everyone stuck at giving my Biometrics. My situation is I may have to travel soon within a month. However my current PGWP has expired (Already applied for BOWP and application is still in process so I have an implied status) and my TRV has expired too and I can't renew it without getting the new work permit first. So right now if I leave Canada, I won't be able to come back.

I checked that a VAC is open where I'm travelling to. So I can make an appointment there and submit my biometrics.

The thing I'm worried about is let's say they processed my application after receiving the biometrics and everything went well. My understanding is that IRCC will ask me to send my passport and will mail back the COPR and the PR visa to me. In this case, Can I just mail my passport to the Canadian embassy or to a VAC where I am and they will issue me the COPR and the PR visa?

Should I send them a message through the web form when I'm outside Canada and they will adjust accordingly?

Thank you
@legalfalcon might be able to advise you.

If you are inland you will be issued Directly With COPR, not PPR. If you would like to receive PPR you might have to inform the change of residence and expiring of visa. In that case, they will issue you PPR. But I am not sure if they will transfer the file to your local visa office.

I am kinda in the same situation.

Reactions: ahafiz

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hello Everyone,

Thank you

Things have drastically changed in the last few months. If you are in Canada, you will not received a PPR, you will get an email with your COPR and as on that date your will become a PR.

If you are outside Canada, only then will you will sent a PPR, to submit your passport for PR visa. If you are planning to move to another country, you will have to send a webform and update your address.

If you are travelling for a short duration, you do not need to inform.

ahafiz

May 1, 2020
Thank you @Walle_007 and @legalfalcon

I called IRCC and they told me that if you are in Canada. They will do a virtual landing. Basically similar to what @legalfalcon said. They will email you with the COPR and the whole process will be done online through email. No need to visit an office or go to a POE.

If you are outside Canada, you will have to notify IRCC once they email you through the web form that you're not in Canada and they will transfer your file to the VAC near you. This might take 4 weeks to complete the transfer. Just make sure that VAC near you is open.

I hope this helps anyone in a similar situation.

Walle_007

Aug 8, 2019
Thank you @Walle_007 and @legalfalcon

I called IRCC and they told me that if you are in Canada. They will do a virtual landing. Basically similar to what @legalfalcon said. They will email you with the COPR and the whole process will be done online through email. No need to visit an office or go to a POE.

If you are outside Canada, you will have to notify IRCC once they email you through the web form that you're not in Canada and they will transfer your file to the VAC near you. This might take 4 weeks to complete the transfer. Just make sure that VAC near you is open.

I hope this helps anyone in a similar situation.
Ahhh I don't like transferring thingy. That's why I don't feel good informing CIC about a change of residence and just get a COPR and then inform them later to request ETA or visa.

Coz last time my file (pnp) was transferred to LVo.its been 12 months LVO did not touch the file

@legalfalcon

Reactions: ahafiz

ahafiz

May 1, 2020
Ahhh I don't like transferring thingy. That's why I don't feel good informing CIC about a change of residence and just get a COPR and then inform them later to request ETA or visa.

Coz last time my file (pnp) was transferred to LVo.its been 12 months LVO did not touch the file

@legalfalcon
I see your point.

In my case, luckily I just received a call today from SC to schedule an appointment for the Biometrics next Tuesday. I may need to travel early November so I doubt that my application will be processed by that time. I guess when they email me to do the virtual landing, then I will tell them that I'm out of the country and work on getting a visa to fly back to Canada.

Mario 66

Sep 12, 2020
I found this group interesting. I have a similar situation and planning to leave Canada within the next couple of weeks. One question: Do the officer call the inland applicant before issuing CORP? What will happen if I don't update my address and get the CORP? I believe my PR should be finalized within the next two months, however, I am worried that an office calls me and find out that I'm no longer in Canada....

Reactions: rajp10

sonu thind

Star Member
Jul 18, 2015
Thats good advise @legalfalcon one more query if you can help... I applied for Bowp and it got approved last week and I have work permit now. My biometrics were also done last week. I am hoping of getting COPR this month... I am planning to travel in January now what should I do. If I get COPR this month do I need to go to POE for anything or they will send PR card to my address on file. If I dont get COPR in time should I go ahead and get TRV based on bowp and travel. Will there be any issues. Any help appreciated thanks

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Thats good advise @legalfalcon one more query if you can help... I applied for Bowp and it got approved last week and I have work permit now. My biometrics were also done last week. I am hoping of getting COPR this month... I am planning to travel in January now what should I do. If I get COPR this month do I need to go to POE for anything or they will send PR card to my address on file. If I dont get COPR in time should I go ahead and get TRV based on bowp and travel. Will there be any issues. Any help appreciated thanks

Please read the comments above. If you are in Canada, you will get a COPR by email and it is already activated. YOU CANNOT GOT TO POE TO REBEW ANY VISA, as it is not permitted.

If you leave Canada, you will have to get a PR visa to re-enter, unless you are from a visa exempt country. So you will have informer IRCC of the change of address (CoR), and IRCC will send you instructions to submit your application as the case many be.

sonu thind

Star Member
Jul 18, 2015
Please read the comments above. If you are in Canada, you will get a COPR by email and it is already activated. YOU CANNOT GOT TO POE TO REBEW ANY VISA, as it is not permitted.

If you leave Canada, you will have to get a PR visa to re-enter, unless you are from a visa exempt country. So you will have informer IRCC of the change of address (CoR), and IRCC will send you instructions to submit your application as the case many be.
Thanks @legalfalcon Hopefully everything is settled before I travel in JAN

Reactions: legalfalcon

Kais767

Jun 22, 2013
Once you get a CoPR, aren’t they supposed to cancel all existing TRVs an ETA? If you’re overseas this would make it harder for you to just fly back on any previous TRV/ETA. Should you try to check in to your flight with a cancelled document the airline might get a “do not board” response in their systems.

Perhaps one can apply for a PR Travel Document instead?

kajnala

Star Member
Oct 16, 2015
when you applied for bowp and got aaproval?