+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received PPR! Now Marriage Confusion

ibimmer

Jun 8, 2017
Hi all,

Thanks god I finally got my PPR but I have a small situation.

I’m planning to get married in September, although on paper we did get married - I.e. I can get a marriage certificate but wedding will only happen in September.

Where I come from, the wedding ceremony needs to happen before a couple is officially married.

What do I do now? I will only have the marriage certificate but no wedding photos or anything. Do I have to declare that I’m married?

bootsal

Nov 3, 2015
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
New delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
29/03/2017
Nomination.....
21/2/2017
AOR Received.
30/03/2017
File Transfer...
16/10/2017
Med's Done....
21/06/2018
VISA ISSUED...
29-01-2019
LANDED..........
21-02-2019
Hi all,

Thanks god I finally got my PPR but I have a small situation.

I’m planning to get married in September, although on paper we did get married - I.e. I can get a marriage certificate but wedding will only happen in September.

Where I come from, the wedding ceremony needs to happen before a couple is officially married.

What do I do now? I will only have the marriage certificate but no wedding photos or anything. Do I have to declare that I’m married?
When did you receive your PPR and when did you get married officially? Have you already submitted passports for stamping?

ibimmer

Jun 8, 2017
Received PPR this morning (July 2017 AoR). Marriage certificate is April 2018.

Haven’t sent my passport yet obviously

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Received PPR this morning (July 2017 AoR). Marriage certificate is April 2018.

Haven’t sent my passport yet obviously
You have a marriage certificate, therefore you are legally married.

Add your spouse.

ibimmer

Jun 8, 2017
Thanks for the input.

This begs the question; how long do I have to inform them about the change in status and most importantly how? I don’t see any email address to use.

I still have a few documents to finalize which would require a couple of weeks. We currently reside in different countries but I want to get her redundancy status in Dubai where I live before updating my status with CIC.

ibimmer

Jun 8, 2017
Another question; my souse is currently in our home country undergoing her bachelor degree. And I currently live in Dubai - she has no status in Dubai at all.

When I add her; is it possible for me to apply in Dubai for her to apply in our home country?

To reiterate; we signed marriage contract in April 2018 and wedding party is planned for September. PPR was today (June 2018).

bootsal

Nov 3, 2015
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
New delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
29/03/2017
Nomination.....
21/2/2017
AOR Received.
30/03/2017
File Transfer...
16/10/2017
Med's Done....
21/06/2018
VISA ISSUED...
29-01-2019
LANDED..........
21-02-2019
Inform your visa office that you are married, and ask for list of doc required to add her to your application. Give all details to them as in marriage date, that she is currently studying, her nationality and country of residence.
You most probably will be asked to provide marriage certificate, passport, digital photo, pcc and other minor details.

santhkum90

Oct 17, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-09-2017
AOR Received.
15-09-2017
Passport Req..
16-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
Another question; my souse is currently in our home country undergoing her bachelor degree. And I currently live in Dubai - she has no status in Dubai at all.

When I add her; is it possible for me to apply in Dubai for her to apply in our home country?

To reiterate; we signed marriage contract in April 2018 and wedding party is planned for September. PPR was today (June 2018).
1. You should have informed CIC about the change in your marital status immediately. It doesn't matter what you and your relatives think about the official marriage date. If your marriage certificate says April 2018, it is that date and should have been informed to CIC. You have to raise a Case Specific Enquiry using an IRCC webform and inform them.
2. You just have to send the documents and it doesn't matter if she is not in UAE with you. You can send it from anywhere.

ibimmer

Jun 8, 2017
I was under the impression that they ask proof of marriage such as wedding photos etc. We are technically married but not traditionally - i.e. we are still living separately until the wedding party.

That's why I didn't inform CIC about it. I'm really confused how to proceed in case they ask for proof of marriage.

Is it only CSE or also by email? Any email address I should use for Abu Dhabi embassy?

salkhan

Jan 28, 2016
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
03-12-2016
Med's Done....
08-02-2017
Passport Req..
Not Received
LANDED..........
00-07-2018
Hi guys,
I submitted an express entry application in December 2016, my file went for security screen and has been pending decision since. During this time I got married and updated CIC with the marriage certificate but then my spouse and I got separated and case for legal separation/divorce is under progress.
My Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) is due to expire in couple of months and I need to get it bridged through BWOP (Bridging Open Work Permit), while I wait for the decision on my PR application.
As the separation is in works and a final divorce certificate hasn't been issued yet. What should I declare in my marital status? Should I keep it married or should I put "divorced" in there? I don't have a divorce certificate if they ask me to provide one.
Please advise me on this unfortunate and messed up situation. Thanks.

nns14

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Nairobi, Kenya
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-09-2019
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
File Transfer...
24-10-2019
Passport Req..
18-Jul-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2022
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2023
I was under the impression that they ask proof of marriage such as wedding photos etc. We are technically married but not traditionally - i.e. we are still living separately until the wedding party.

That's why I didn't inform CIC about it. I'm really confused how to proceed in case they ask for proof of marriage.

Is it only CSE or also by email? Any email address I should use for Abu Dhabi embassy?
Marriage certificate is the proof of marriage! Don't stress yourself. It is pretty normal for people's lives to change over period. People get married, divorced, etc. The most important thing is to inform IRCC via CSE. Tell them you got married since April but was confused on the technicality since in your culture a completion of marriage is only after the wedding. However, upon further research, you have found that indeed full marriage is after legally completing all terms which in this case it is true. Then, do ask them what the requirements are to add your spouse to the application.

Additionally, you should search on this forum for similar cases, I am sure there are a plenty of cases similar to yours. See what they have done and the responses they got from the officials.

GCMSBuddy

Star Member
Feb 7, 2018
Canada

They ask for proof only if they have any doubts or need further clarification. As suggested by others, please raise a CSE and inform IRCC about the changes. You can add your spouse in your application. Make sure your spouse's documents like Passport, PCCs, Medicals and POF are ready. The process will be same even though your spouse is in a different country. They will receive their own PPR and then they'll have to submit the passport in their current country of residence for stamping.