+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received ITA + Wife Pregnant

PacerColt

May 7, 2017
Hello.

We're from the Philippines and received our Invitation to Apply (ITA) for Canadian permanent residency last month. We are almost done filing the final paperwork. Just about the only thing which needs to be done is the medical exam. My wife is also three weeks into her pregnancy (our second child). Her due date is mid-January 2018.

We plan to submit the requirements in the last week of May. If my hunch is correct, the issuance of the visas may coincide with her third term of pregnancy (last quarter of 2017). We're aware her safety hinges on the airline policy for pregnant women and the approval of her obstetrician.

Will the Canadian government expedite the visa approval process if it finds out my wife is pregnant? Or will it allow our doctors to deliver the baby here before flying out to Canada? If so, how much longer will it take before we can go to Canada (assuming we're done filing paperwork for the second child)?

We plan to settle in Toronto. A doctor-friend of ours who works there told us we need to wait for three months after landing before we can avail of the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP).

With that, we will have to resort to private health insurance instead should my wife give birth in Canada. Do you know any reputable private health insurance firms in Toronto? Do they cover the entire costs for a c-section delivery? Thanks in advance.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
PacerColt said:
Will the Canadian government expedite the visa approval process if it finds out my wife is pregnant?

Or will it allow our doctors to deliver the baby here before flying out to Canada? If so, how much longer will it take before we can go to Canada (assuming we're done filing paperwork for the second child)?

We plan to settle in Toronto. A doctor-friend of ours who works there told us we need to wait for three months after landing before we can avail of the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP).

With that, we will have to resort to private health insurance instead should my wife give birth in Canada. Do you know any reputable private health insurance firms in Toronto? Do they cover the entire costs for a c-section delivery? Thanks in advance.
Hi

No, IRCC will not expedite your app because of the pregnancy.

Your COPRs/visas will be valid for around a year from the date you undergo medicals (this is assuming that your wife undergoes the chest x-ray while pregnant), so around May 2018. If you hold off on landing, you can then return your COPRs/visas, add the new child to the application and all land together. If your wife defers the chest x-ray, the PR app will be put on hold until after the birth; she would then need to complete the x-ray and you would need to add the child to the app.

No insurance plan is going to cover the birth. You will have to pay out-of-pocket. A normal birth is generally a few thousand dollars. If there are complications, it could run into the tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands. It would be smarter to plan to have the child in your home country.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's too late to get private insurance. Insurance to cover pregnancies can only be purchased before someone gets pregnant. You'll need to pay for all of the costs related to the pregnancy and delivery out of your own pocket.

vijaycrvi

Sep 14, 2015
I came in the same situation of wife being pregnant but on Work permit. we were covered under Manulife insurance. Yes for the first three months need to pay out of the pocket and get it reimbursed from the insurance. Process takes 3 to 4 weeks times to get the money back. Once U have OHIP you are safe.

Also U have community centers where they provide medical assistance for free for the first 3 months. Probably u can check on that. To my knowledge u can always buy insurance in middle of pregnancy its nothing that its not covered. It just depends on the day u start the insurance and thereafter the expense can be submitted.

PacerColt

May 7, 2017
Thank you very much for your replies. They are all insightful. We will take them into consideration.

Two other options crossed our minds:

1. My wife could give birth in the United States (we have a ton of relatives there who could help us). That would make the child an American citizen. Is it possible for her to gain Canadian lawful permanent resident status as well? Bear in mind her parents are full-blooded Filipinos.

2. My wife could give birth in a different Canadian province which offers health insurance without the three-month wait (say, Manitoba). A few weeks after the child is born, we can move to Toronto, Ontario and reside there permanently.

Thoughts?

robinsonjoel

Star Member
Jul 3, 2016
Kuwait
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-07-2017
Passport Req..
11-01-2018
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2018
LANDED..........
8-04-2018
We've decided to have the baby and then do the xray :) expected delivery date is mid november 2017

ashwsh4

Jul 9, 2017
Hi,

I'm in a bit of tight situation.
Im the primary applicant and got pregnant after AOR. So first round done. We plan to inform CIC at the time of PPR request.
1. We need to inform them because my placenta is low to and travel not allowed till due date. Hence must give birth in India
2. I got our medical done on 5th March'17
3. Due date for baby is 15th Jan'18. After submitting the documents of the baby (birth certificate, medical of infant and proof of funds) by the time CIC processes my request, medical for me and and my husband might expire.

What is the best way to take this forward. Please advise.
1. What is the process of asking for extension
2. Will we be allowed to redo our medical examination?
3. How much delay after application submission can I expect.

Regards
Ashwsh

xylo33

Jul 21, 2017
Hi,

I'm in a bit of tight situation.
Im the primary applicant and got pregnant after AOR. So first round done. We plan to inform CIC at the time of PPR request.
1. We need to inform them because my placenta is low to and travel not allowed till due date. Hence must give birth in India
2. I got our medical done on 5th March'17
3. Due date for baby is 15th Jan'18. After submitting the documents of the baby (birth certificate, medical of infant and proof of funds) by the time CIC processes my request, medical for me and and my husband might expire.

What is the best way to take this forward. Please advise.
1. What is the process of asking for extension
2. Will we be allowed to redo our medical examination?
3. How much delay after application submission can I expect.

Regards
Ashwsh
Hi Ashwsh,

Me and my wife are in a very similar situation. Last week I received PPR from CPC - Ottawa, I am the primary applicant and my wife is a dependent applicant. As per the email, we have 30 days to submit our passports. The email also mentioned that if there is any change in our circumstances then we should inform the CPC office. I immediately emailed CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca about our situation with our application details and expected date of delivery which is in January 2018. I haven't received any reply to my e-mail so far. We want to move to Canada only after the delivery and want to include our child in the application.

Once I get a reply from CPC I will post it on the forum. In the meantime, if you get more information then kindly do share.

Best!

ashwsh4

Jul 9, 2017
Hi Ashwsh,

Me and my wife are in a very similar situation. Last week I received PPR from CPC - Ottawa, I am the primary applicant and my wife is a dependent applicant. As per the email, we have 30 days to submit our passports. The email also mentioned that if there is any change in our circumstances then we should inform the CPC office. I immediately emailed CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca about our situation with our application details and expected date of delivery which is in January 2018. I haven't received any reply to my e-mail so far. We want to move to Canada only after the delivery and want to include our child in the application.

Once I get a reply from CPC I will post it on the forum. In the meantime, if you get more information then kindly do share.

Best!
Hi

We haven't got our ppr request yet. Waiting for that to come in.
Any development on your application ?

Regards