+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

received express entry PR confirmation- will the travel within one year have to be permanent moving?

sumo26

Apr 30, 2017
Hi,

I just received my express entry PR; have 1 year till September 2018 to travel to Canada to activate PR.

My question is, once I am there, do I need to settle down immediately? My plan was to travel during June-July 2018, stay for a week in Toronto (get my PR card) and return for the rest of 2018 to my home (India). I would move permanently to Canada in early 2019.

Is that allowed or should my travel in the next 1 year have to be permanent moving? Also, wondering if I will receive my PR card during the 1 week I am in Canada.

Thank you

Reactions: vishsank

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
You don't have to move to Canada permanently. You can follow your plan except one thing. You will not get the PR card in one week. It takes about 3 months to be processed and mailed to you.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
You don't have to move to Canada permanently. You can follow your plan except one thing. You will not get the PR card in one week. It takes about 3 months to be processed and mailed to you.
Plus of course PR cards will only be mailed to a Canadian address so the OP would need a Canadian address of a friend who can forward to India. Alternatively the OP will need to apply for a PRTD to be able to return and ready to move permanently . Then apply for a PR card when back in Canada.

sumo26

Apr 30, 2017
Hi,

Thank you guys.
I have a friend in Canada where I will direct the PR card be mailed. Idea was that he would send it to me in India and I would have it on me when I move permanently in 2019. That's OK I guess.

Just to confirm, but the PRTD option only applies if I travel in a year to fulfill the travel requirement, but return without applying for PR card right? Would I need to apply for PRTD while in Canada or can it be done back in India?

Thank you

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
As a PR you need either a valid PR card or a PRTD to be able to board a plane for Canada.

So if for example your friend did not for some reason mail or courier your PR card to you in India you would need to apply for a PRTD which by the way can only be applied for from outside Canada and can take a few weeks to get approved.

Same would apply if on landing for some reason you did not apply for a PR card you would need a PRTD to be able to board a plane on the way back to Canada .

So basically if someone does not have their PR card with them whilst outside Canada they need a PRTD in order to fly back or alternatively come back via the US land border but that assumes having a US visa unless US visa exempt..

Reactions: sumo26 and vishsank

sumo26

Apr 30, 2017
As a PR you need either a valid PR card or a PRTD to be able to board a plane for Canada.

So if for example your friend did not for some reason mail or courier your PR card to you in India you would need to apply for a PRTD which by the way can only be applied for from outside Canada and can take a few weeks to get approved.

Same would apply if on landing for some reason you did not apply for a PR card you would need a PRTD to be able to board a plane on the way back to Canada .

So basically if someone does not have their PR card with them whilst outside Canada they need a PRTD in order to fly back or alternatively come back via the US land border but that assumes having a US visa unless US visa exempt..

Thank you. That clarifies