+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received CoPR , DS 160 related question

Ozil23

Jul 31, 2018
Hello, I received a CoPR recently and while i was filling my DS -160 application for H1B stamping in the Canada , i came across this question:
Are you a permanent resident of a country/region other than your country/region of origin (nationality) indicated above?"
I have answered this question as 'No' AND submitted my DS-160 application . The reason being since i do not have a PR Card yet and probably won't have it at the time of my H1B visa stamping ( appointment will be within a week of landing)
This is my first time landing in canada and first time H1B stamping in Canada.

Please advise if i need to correct this or if i can justify to the visa officer at the time of interview if a related question is asked.

Thanks

lossada

Sep 5, 2017
Hello, I received a CoPR recently and while i was filling my DS -160 application for H1B stamping in the Canada , i came across this question:
Are you a permanent resident of a country/region other than your country/region of origin (nationality) indicated above?"
I have answered this question as 'No' AND submitted my DS-160 application . The reason being since i do not have a PR Card yet and probably won't have it at the time of my H1B visa stamping ( appointment will be within a week of landing)

Please advise if i need to correct this or if i can justify to the visa officer at the time of interview if a related question is asked.

Thanks
before you have landed, you become PR, with CoRP, you are no officially resident of Canada, you have to activate (landing) your status

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa

Thanks
for residents in Canada you have to meet residency requirement:
To maintain your status as a permanent resident, you must live in Canada for at least two years within a five-year period. During this time you must be here physically.

Ozil23

Jul 31, 2018
@lossada

That means , in a way my answer (NO) in this situation is correct .

Because even if landing activates my PR , I will not be able to prove my residency until i get my PR card

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
@lossada

Because even if landing activates my PR , I will not be able to prove my residency until i get my PR card
Once you land and your COPR has been validated by CBSA then you are considered a PR of Canada. A validated COPR is proof that you are a PR you do not necessarily need a PR card to prove you are a PR unless travelling back into Canada by plane.

Ozil23

Jul 31, 2018
okay understood. However , my take is that since i have not landed at the time of filling the application , that is why i had entered as 'NO'. But the trick is that my PR will get activated once i land and attend the interview . So not sure if i should take that under consideration...?

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
okay understood. However , my take is that since i have not landed at the time of filling the application , that is why i had entered as 'NO'. But the trick is that my PR will get activated once i land and attend the interview . So not sure if i should take that under consideration...?
You filled DS-160 correctly. You were not PR at the time of submission of visa application.

If VO asks your Canadian status during interview please mention that you become a PR X days back only when you crossed border for this visa interview. You were not a PR at the time of application filing. VO would understand.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with CBSA agent at the time of landing.

Me: Drove to Canadian checkpoint and said: "I am a Canadian PR and here for landing"
CBSA agent: Looked at my Passport and COPR and said: "No you are not. You will become a PR after finishing landing formalities at that office". Pointed at CBSA office.
Me: "Oops...Sorry...."

lossada

Sep 5, 2017
@lossada

with the CoRP signed and dated by the Canadian Border Officer is proof you are Permanent Resident in Canada, US Border and US Consulates know about that.
PR Card is also a proof but for coming back to Canada
H1B is a work permit in US, so decide where to live US or Canada or renounce the Canada option to be permanent Resident

Reactions: VOBuckeye

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017
I don't understand, Why people apply for Permanent Resident in Canada, and then apply for H1B in US?
Well taking advantages of the Canadian Benefits and live in US as ordinary people ,,,,

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017

Thanks
I went for my H1B stamping in Vancouver. At that time I had my COPR and needed to complete landing procedures. I put 'YES' in the DS 160 because I would have been a PR at the time of my visa interview. In fact they saw the Canada PR visa on my passport and waived the visa fees I would have had to pay based on my country of citizenship. They had no issue that I had just landed less than 24 hours ago.

Reactions: Parry33 and Ozil23

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
with the CoRP signed and dated by the Canadian Border Officer is proof you are Permanent Resident in Canada, US Border and US Consulates know about that.
PR Card is also a proof but for coming back to Canada
H1B is a work permit in US, so decide where to live US or Canada or renounce the Canada option to be permanent Resident
True. And if they are close to a border town they can still work in the US and live in Canada.

Ozil23

Jul 31, 2018
@VOBuckeye :
Thanks for Sharing
It is Interesting , so far it looks like both the answers are acceptable .
As long as the VO does not think based on canadian PR visa(on passport) that i am concealing or trying to hide any information ( and does not penalize me because of it ),then i think i should be good

Reactions: VOBuckeye

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
@VOBuckeye :
Thanks for Sharing
It is Interesting , so far it looks like both the answers are acceptable .
As long as the VO does not think based on canadian PR visa(on passport) that i am concealing or trying to hide any information ( and does not penalize me because of it ),then i think i should be good
Yes, I figured they would see Canadian PR visa in passport so I answered 'YES' just to be safe.

saneja3112

Jan 21, 2019
Yes, I figured they would see Canadian PR visa in passport so I answered 'YES' just to be safe.
@VOBuckeye
Hi, thanks for sharing this information. I am in a similar situation. Have COPR and completing my DS-160. I expect your interview has happened by this date. Could you please let me know if answering"Yes" to the question worked for you and no objections raised,

My interview is on Tuesday. i might have to fill another DS-160 based on your response.

Please let me know.

Last edited: