+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received CoPR but no IM-1 stamped on my passport

tyeg

Mar 17, 2019
Hi everyone,

This is my first post but I always followed this forum as a guest so I apologize if I posted it on the wrong section and feel free to move this thread to the appropriate place.

My wife and I got our PR approved earlier February 2019, we sent our passports to CPC - Ottawa and received it back this week. However, no IM-1 (Permanent Resident Visa) sticker was stamped on our passports. We tried to do the landing this weekend driving to Carway, AB and the CBSA agent refused to process it due to lack of IM-1 stamped on our passports.

We drove back home for 5h and then figured out from our immigration lawyer that the border agent made a mistake because citizens from our country of origin (Brazil) are not required to issue a visa for visiting Canada anymore, just the eTA (electronic travel authorization).

I am a bit confused now, can you guys share your recent experiences on landing? Did your passports get stamped with the IM-1 visa? Does your country of origin require Canadians to issue a travel visa for visiting it?

Do you guys also think that it was a mistake?

I would be very grateful for any help you are able to provide.

Last edited:

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi everyone,

This is my first post but I always followed this forum as a guest so I apologize if I posted it on the wrong section and feel free to move this thread to the appropriate place.

My wife and I got our PR approved earlier February 2019, we sent our passports to CPC - Ottawa and received it back this week. However, no IM-1 (Permanent Resident Visa) sticker was stamped on our passports. We tried to do the landing this weekend driving to Carway, AB and the CBSA agent refused to process it due to lack of IM-1 stamped on our passports.

We drove back home for 5h and then figured out from our immigration lawyer that the border agent made a mistake because citizens from our country of origin (Brazil) are not required to issue a visa for visiting Canada anymore, just the eTA (electronic travel authorization).

I am a bit confused now, can you guys share your recent experiences on landing? Did your passports get stamped with the IM-1 visa? Does your country of origin require Canadians to issue a travel visa for visiting it?

Do you guys also think that it was a mistake?

I would be very grateful for any help you are able to provide.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2017/04/canada_s_new_entryrulesforbrazilianbulgarianandromaniancitizens.html

According to this, you need the eTA to fly to Canada, but visa to enter by land.

That's a weird one. But it looks like the border agent got it right.

You could call for an appointment to complete the landing at an office -

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=748&top=22

Reactions: tyeg

Psp_1987

Apr 11, 2019
I'm curious to know what happened, just got my Copr and passport came back without visa sticker (I'm from Brazil as well)

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Brazil is a special case.

Do you have a valid US visa? If yes, then you can get an ETA.

I'm curious to know what happened, just got my Copr and passport came back without visa sticker (I'm from Brazil as well)

Psp_1987

Apr 11, 2019
I do, a tourist visa. This means that I can get an ETA and can only fly into Canada for my landing (i.e. can't drive), right?

tyeg

Mar 17, 2019
I do, a tourist visa. This means that I can get an ETA and can only fly into Canada for my landing (i.e. can't drive), right?
That is correct. You can do your landing either flying out and in again or by booking an appointment at IRCC offices. Unfortunately, you cannot do your landing driving out/in of the country without a IM-1 Visa (Permanent Resident Visa).

barbsrainbow

Jan 27, 2019
I just got my passport back and there was also no stamp. I have the ETA but I don't have an American visa. Does that mean I won't be able to cross the border by car as most people do?
This is very frustrating..
What did you guys end up doing?
I'm also from Brazil.

Thank you

lary-lary

Jun 11, 2019
My passaport also arrived with the sticker IM-1. To who already completed the landing, are you able to drive to the US without and come back to Canada without the sticker?

Psp_1987

Apr 11, 2019
Just to clarify, my case is different: I live the in the US, I can't go to IRCC office. I have an ETA and I will fly to Toronto, can't drive from US into Canada without the counterfoil.

Ra1234cha5678

Star Member
May 14, 2019
Hello All,

I work in the US on a H1B and have recently received my COPR. But my passport was not stamped. I raised a web form but did not receive a response yet owing to the covid-19 stalemate. Is there something that I could do?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hello All,

I work in the US on a H1B and have recently received my COPR. But my passport was not stamped. I raised a web form but did not receive a response yet owing to the covid-19 stalemate. Is there something that I could do?
What's your country of citizenship?