+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received AIP but still going to defer wnter intake.

deni2020

Star Member
Jun 22, 2020
I think it is good to defer, as colleges still didn't reveal how they will deliver next semester. I am also worried, if my college decide to deliver next semester also online then ........ ?
What will happen with students starting online classes in Fall20 and continuing online studies in Winter21 due to Canadian borders closed? Will Canadian government allow them to get in Canada in Jan21 to continue online classes WITHIN Canada? Otherwise, the program won’t count towards PGWP for those who will study 1 year program... people with 2 year Program Are still safe because they can study 1year online outside Canada I guess....

Reactions: GradStudent18

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
What will happen with students starting online classes in Fall20 and continuing online studies in Winter21 due to Canadian borders closed? Will Canadian government allow them to get in Canada in Jan21 to continue online classes WITHIN Canada? Otherwise, the program won’t count towards PGWP for those who will study 1 year program... people with 2 year Program Are still safe because they can study 1year online outside Canada I guess....

Exactly! Nobody is thinking about this and nobody is asking this question. They say online classes are "non essential" and prevent us from going to Canada (even with visa approved before March 18th). But then they penalize us for not going to Canada with the 50% rule, whereas it's ONLY because of them that we can't go now. What a complete contradiction! Never expected them to treat international students like this. Sad.

deni2020

Star Member
Jun 22, 2020
Exactly! Nobody is thinking about this and nobody is asking this question. They say online classes are "non essential" and prevent us from going to Canada (even with visa approved before March 18th). But then they penalize us for not going to Canada with the 50% rule, whereas it's ONLY because of them that we can't go now. What a complete contradiction! Never expected them to treat international students like this. Sad.
I already deferred to Jan21 because I haven’t received an answer.... my program Is 8 months + coop... I’m afraid if Jan21 and May21 Are online semesters and borders remain closed... I know it sounds freaky but as Covid is still in the air... everything is possible.... Moreover, My Medical exams will expire in Jan21 and I’m even thinking that as I deferred to Jan21 they can delay my file’s response (approval or refusal) Until December or Jan... who knows!

I was thinking to apply for a second program (also 1 year) before finishing my 1st program but I will be able to ask for permit extension if I’m IN Canada.... but if I’m outside Canada I will have to ask for a new study permit maximum in May21 for starting the new program in Sep21 and again the whole process... it would be better if I’m inside Canada by May21 at least.... to study my remaining 50% in Canada and to ask for a study permit extension....
Finally, maybe my best option will be continue deferring until borders reopen but it’s insane being waiting for more than 1year!

Reactions: GradStudent18

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
I already deferred to Jan21 because I haven’t received an answer.... my program Is 8 months + coop... I’m afraid if Jan21 and May21 Are online semesters and borders remain closed... I know it sounds freaky but as Covid is still in the air... everything is possible.... Moreover, My Medical exams will expire in Jan21 and I’m even thinking that as I deferred to Jan21 they can delay my file’s response (approval or refusal) Until December or Jan... who knows!

I was thinking to apply for a second program (also 1 year) before finishing my 1st program but I will be able to ask for permit extension if I’m IN Canada.... but if I’m outside Canada I will have to ask for a new study permit maximum in May21 for starting the new program in Sep21 and again the whole process... it would be better if I’m inside Canada by May21 at least.... to study my remaining 50% in Canada and to ask for a study permit extension....
Finally, maybe my best option will be continue deferring until borders reopen but it’s insane being waiting for more than 1year!
I totally agree with everything you've said... and no, it's not freaky...there are high chances that Covid will be there till a vaccine comes & if Canada is adamant on keeping borders closed till a vaccine is distributed across the world, then, I guess they'll shut us out till 2022 or something lol

I'm actually being realistic as that's how long it'll take for the vaccine to be distributed around the world as per news reports.

We can't simply pause our lives like this for 2 years. Canada has to understand that shutting the border to students who've already invested so much into their country is not a fair / just thing to do. They say online classes are "non-essential" and we should not come if classes are online. So that means we should wait till pandemic gets over to go there? That means 2022 lol.

Why can't they understand that life has to go on, whatever it is. We aren't asking them to open the borders fully. At least they should slowly allow those who've invested so much into their country & with visa approvals to go there phase by phase at least.

Instead, they have simply closed everything totally & banned foreign students from entering by putting up this most hypocritical "essential" purpose condition. This prevents even those with valid visas before March 18th from going to Canada now.

Everyday, "non-essential" travel into canada occurs from the US, by way of people driving across the border for all sorts of lame reasons including sight seeing. They should really start allowing foreign students inside, whose entire lives are getting destroyed now due to this "essential" travel purpose.

Reactions: NIRAJ1986

Yusuf786

Star Member
Aug 11, 2020
I totally agree with everything you've said... and no, it's not freaky...there are high chances that Covid will be there till a vaccine comes & if Canada is adamant on keeping borders closed till a vaccine is distributed across the world, then, I guess they'll shut us out till 2022 or something lol

I'm actually being realistic as that's how long it'll take for the vaccine to be distributed around the world as per news reports.

We can't simply pause our lives like this for 2 years. Canada has to understand that shutting the border to students who've already invested so much into their country is not a fair / just thing to do. They say online classes are "non-essential" and we should not come if classes are online. So that means we should wait till pandemic gets over to go there? That means 2022 lol.

Why can't they understand that life has to go on, whatever it is. We aren't asking them to open the borders fully. At least they should slowly allow those who've invested so much into their country & with visa approvals to go there phase by phase at least.

Instead, they have simply closed everything totally & banned foreign students from entering by putting up this most hypocritical "essential" purpose condition. This prevents even those with valid visas before March 18th from going to Canada now.

Everyday, "non-essential" travel into canada occurs from the US, by way of people driving across the border for all sorts of lame reasons including sight seeing. They should really start allowing foreign students inside, whose entire lives are getting destroyed now due to this "essential" travel purpose.
I am planning to defer my program or as second option, I am looking to apply in UK as I heard that UK is allowing international students and also have started to issue work permit after completion of post secondary education.... is it true?

Sep 16, 2020
I had deferred form fall 2020 to next winter intake and also received the new LOA and i even got the aip. Do i need to apply another visa seperately for January intake?

Ujeinijobog

Mar 20, 2020
Hello guys,

Please can someone help out with whether we need to write a letter of explanation when we are sending the new LOA to IRCC inform them that we deferred. Or are we simply to send the new LOA via webform without any explanation letter?

In my situation, I deferred to fall 2021 before I got my AIP but I got my new LOA after I received my AIP.

Guys if we decide to defer to jan 2021 after getting AIP then do we need to provide letter of explanation explaining why we deferred like slow internet, timezone difficult and etc to IRCC or just new LOA will do?

nat2020

Dec 14, 2019
Hello guys,

Please can someone help out with whether we need to write a letter of explanation when we are sending the new LOA to IRCC inform them that we deferred. Or are we simply to send the new LOA via webform without any explanation letter?

In my situation, I deferred to fall 2021 before I got my AIP but I got my new LOA after I received my AIP.
As per their Webinar, they only need new LOA nothing else..

Sophie2021

Sep 14, 2020
While it is an individual's personal decision to make, do consider the fact that IRCC representatives (in webinars) have clarified repeatedly that a second stage refusal is rare and only in certain specific circumstances i.e. one having a severe medical condition and second falsified documents or criminal activities (associated with an outlawed group or a spy, etc.).
Hi Bro,
I find that you mentioned webinars, so could you please tel me how to join webinars of IRCC? Thank you a lot.