+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received a refusal

Moh Alduais

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
I just received a refusal from the Riyadh office.

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your immigration status.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.

I graduated with a bachelor's in civil engineering last august with a GPA of 3.7/4.0.
I was accepted to the University of Alberta to do a master's in structural engineering with a total funding of 18000/year. I am a Yemeni student currently living in Saudi Arabia.
I lived there since 2012, I have a temporary resident. As you know I can't go to Yemen apply from there as there is no embassy there.
I can't wait for GCSM notes since my studies will start next January.
If you know anything that might help please comment.

• Sad
Reactions: drankykranky

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your immigration status.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.

I graduated with a bachelor's in civil engineering last august with a GPA of 3.7/4.0.
I was accepted to the University of Alberta to do a master's in structural engineering with a total funding of 18000/year. I am a Yemeni student currently living in Saudi Arabia.
I lived there since 2012, I have a temporary resident. As you know I can't go to Yemen apply from there as there is no embassy there.
You are in a difficult position. Since you will not order GCMS notes then you will not find out reasons for “purpose of your visit” which can mean anything. It can mean lack of travel history, funds etc. How much of your own funding did you show. Assume your SOP outlined the job opportunities with higher pay in your home country, family ties, investments, properties.

Moh Alduais

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
You are in a difficult position. Since you will not order GCMS notes then you will not find out reasons for “purpose of your visit” which can mean anything. It can mean lack of travel history, funds etc. How much of your own funding did you show. Assume your SOP outlined the job opportunities with higher pay in your home country, family ties, investments, properties.
For the funds I have a funding of 18000/year from uni and I showed more than 27000CAD in account. The tuition is about 9000 per year. Well I already got a job offer from a company that I did my summer training and they agreed to have me back once I finish my studies. However, I only attached the offer but it wasn’t stated that they will have me back. Also, I attached several highly paid jobs that requires a master’s degree in the same field. I didn’t mention anything about my home country. However, each year I travel there for one month. We also have properties but I did not attach. Just to remind you that my country is currently in civil war and I can’t actually work their even if I want to.

Moh Alduais

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
For the funds I have a funding of 18000/year from uni and I showed more than 27000CAD in account. The tuition is about 9000 per year. Well I already got a job offer from a company that I did my summer training and they agreed to have me back once I finish my studies. However, I only attached the offer but it wasn’t stated that they will have me back. Also, I attached several highly paid jobs that requires a master’s degree in the same field. I didn’t mention anything about my home country. However, each year I travel there for one month. We also have properties but I did not attach. Just to remind you that my country is currently in civil war and I can’t actually work their even if I want to.
And my sponsor(my father) annual income is about 130000CAD.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes I know that Yemen is in civil war and am so sorry but that is the issue. You can't return home. VOs know that and will be concerned you will not leave Canada. So you need to show absolute proof that you have a job when you finish your studies. Do you have travel history to the US, UK, AUS or NZ to show that you will not overstay in Canada.

Moh Alduais

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
Yes I know that Yemen is in civil war and am so sorry but that is the issue. You can't return home. VOs know that and will be concerned you will not leave Canada. So you need to show absolute proof that you have a job when you finish your studies. Do you have travel history to the US, UK, AUS or NZ to show that you will not overstay in Canada.
Unfortunately no. I have been to Egypt for one month vacation and that’s it. However, I explained that I didn’t have the time to travel as I was busy with my studies at university.
I might ask the company to provide me with a letter stating that the will have me when I finish my studies.
I will apply and try to explain my situation.
mid it didn’t work, I will start my master here as I already have an acceptance from my previous university.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Unfortunately no. I have been to Egypt for one month vacation and that’s it. However, I explained that I didn’t have the time to travel as I was busy with my studies at university.
I might ask the company to provide me with a letter stating that the will have me when I finish my studies.
I will apply and try to explain my situation.
mid it didn’t work, I will start my master here as I already have an acceptance from my previous university.
Given average 14 week processing time, you most likely will not get a response in time for January.

orwell46

Apr 29, 2020
as already stated, your nationality is an issue given the civil war. It's unfortunate but sometimes that's how it is.
You have admission into one of the best unis in Canada and that too with funding. You will eventually get a SP, of that I am sure.
Don't rush, apply for gcms notes, defer your admission, address all the concerns coherently. You will get through

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
My application took 5 weeks. Here in Riyadh the processing time a lot lesser.
If you are unable to return to Saudi Arabia, what happens after your temporary stay? Where are you going? The VO is concerned that you will remain illegally in Canada after your studies or after your study permit had a expired.

positive_vibes8459

Sep 7, 2021

You're in a very tough predicament especially when it comes to your immigration status, but one thing I've noticed is if you explain your situation to them they are more inclined to accept your application. Don't lose hope though!

My opinion is that you should explain why you are not in your home country and what life you have built in Saudi Arabia (eg family, property, job offer). I also agree that you should get a new job offer letter that states that you have guaranteed employment upon your return form your studies. Lastly instead of just attaching jobs that have high pay, explain how the degree will help you acquire these jobs. Just try to be explicit as possible so you don't leave any doubt in their minds.

Reactions: Moh Alduais

Moh Alduais

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
Thank you all for your suggestions. After deep search I found that I can’t renew my remp. resident(Iqama) as a student after the age of 25 even if I still attend a university in Saudi. They ask to change the status and find a company that my new Iqama will be under them without working with them. I can’t explain it since it’s something ridiculous as no company will agree to have me without me actually working for them, unless it’s an illegal company. However, I am planning to leave Saudi of final exit visa and explain to the visa officer I will go back to Yemen. Since, I have an actual job offer I can enter Saudi as a worker with new visa. This might be risky but I believe this is the only option I have.
What do you think about this.

Moh Alduais

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
If you are unable to return to Saudi Arabia, what happens after your temporary stay? Where are you going? The VO is concerned that you will remain illegally in Canada after your studies or after your study permit had a expired.
I clearly can return to Yemen. However, the employment prospects is nearly impossible unless I find a job in academia or find a job offer from other countries.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Thank you all for your suggestions. After deep search I found that I can’t renew my remp. resident(Iqama) as a student after the age of 25 even if I still attend a university in Saudi. They ask to change the status and find a company that my new Iqama will be under them without working with them. I can’t explain it since it’s something ridiculous as no company will agree to have me without me actually working for them, unless it’s an illegal company. However, I am planning to leave Saudi of final exit visa and explain to the visa officer I will go back to Yemen. Since, I have an actual job offer I can enter Saudi as a worker with new visa. This might be risky but I believe this is the only option I have.
What do you think about this.
This is going to hurt your application because VO knows there are no job prospects for you in Yemen which increases your likelihood of overstaying in Canada.

Moh Alduais

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
This is going to hurt your application because VO knows there are no job prospects for you in Yemen which increases your likelihood of overstaying in Canada.
I know, but I already have a job offer in Saudi. So the thing is I will return to Yemen and start the process of a working visa with job offer I have.
or maybe I should wait and order the notes.
I am thinking of not applying again and move on with my life.