+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Receive ITA with Passport valid for less than 6 months - Can I apply for PR then update CIC with new passport?

User1id2

Star Member
Jun 24, 2020
Hello guys
My passport expires on August 3, 2021 (I am currently inside Canada on a Post Graduate work permit which expires on August 3, 2021)
Today is January 30, 2021
I am expecting to receive an ITA in February 2021

SCENARIO 1 ) Can I submit my application for Permanent residence/ canadian experience class in February/March 2021 with my passport only valid for 5 months ?
Then once I receive my new passport (some time in March 2021), I am planning on updating CIC with my new passport ?
Is that fine to do? (to apply for Canadian experience entry with a passport only valid for 5 months as long as I renew my passport after and update CIC? ) ?

scenario 2): I can receive ITA with my passport valid for only 5 months. Then renew my passport, update my Express Entry profile with the new passport and then apply for PR using the ITA and the new passport. IS this acceptable ??

Please advise.
Thank you

Last edited:

creativerbl

Star Member
Jul 27, 2019
You could apply to renew your passport under an expedited scheme if your country offers such as tatkaal for India. You could also wait and then apply for a passport renewal after submitting ITA and then update CIC using webform. You should ideally do it now, because based on your timeline you will be required to apply BOWP when PGWP expires.

User1id2

Star Member
Jun 24, 2020
You could apply to renew your passport under an expedited scheme if your country offers such as tatkaal for India. You could also wait and then apply for a passport renewal after submitting ITA and then update CIC using webform. You should ideally do it now, because based on your timeline you will be required to apply BOWP when PGWP expires.
Thanks foe your reply.
My country is being extremely difficult on renewing passports. The only way to renew passports for me is to travel from Canada to Cuba or Brazil personally to my country s embassy and renew my passport there. With the covid virus and with my passpirt being valid for less than 6 months; this is simply impossible.
I am trying to have someone in my country to issue a new passport for me and mail it to me. Meanwhile I don’t want to lose the chance to get invited ItA.... the threshold in the last draw was lower than my score.....
so if it is acceptable to apply using my current passport then use the webform to give them my new passport that would be perfect