+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Receive COPR while being outside of Canada

mike93

Star Member
Apr 16, 2019
Hi guys,

I am currently working in Canada and waiting for PR for more than 8 months (FSW-Inland). I have valid open work permit and visa based on it.

If I travel outside of Canada for a work trip and receive COPR at this moment, will I be able to come back to Canada using my work visa?

thank you!

mike93

Star Member
Apr 16, 2019
No, your temporary visas will be cancelled.
Thank you, I also thought so. However, will I be able to pass Canadian border then using my copr? I understand that previously it worked as outlanders were able to receive a visa to enter Canada and obtain PR card. Nowadays, everything is closed for outlanders, so it looks like there is no options to enter Canada in the situation outlined above. Any thoughts...?

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
Thank you, I also thought so. However, will I be able to pass Canadian border then using my copr? I understand that previously it worked as outlanders were able to receive a visa to enter Canada and obtain PR card. Nowadays, everything is closed for outlanders, so it looks like there is no options to enter Canada in the situation outlined above. Any thoughts...?
COPR is not a valid document for travel. You need a PR visa or PRTD. Your q has been asked and answered multiple times recently in this forum. If you receive your COPR while outside Canada, You have to tell IRCC that you’re outside. They’ll cancel your COPR and ask you to return to Canada using your temporary visa. Once landed, inform them so they can reissue your COPR.

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
COPR is not a valid document for travel. You need a PR visa or PRTD. Your q has been asked and answered multiple times recently in this forum. If you receive your COPR while outside Canada, You have to tell IRCC that you’re outside. They’ll cancel your COPR and ask you to return to Canada using your temporary visa. Once landed, inform them so they can reissue your COPR.
I wouldn't say they'll reissue your COPR after that as if IRCC had the obligation to do so, it's a case by case scenario. Personally I've heard of cases where COPR was revoked but never where COPR was actually reissued because of this.

Mal Deep

May 15, 2021
Hello everyone
I got email regarding IRCC ETOBICOKE is processing Virtual landing stated that if client is in Canada and they want varification of my address and so on,,
Actually i am in India
Can in get my COPR here or when Arrive In Canada
Also is this a good sign!!

Thanks

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
I wouldn't say they'll reissue your COPR after that as if IRCC had the obligation to do so, it's a case by case scenario. Personally I've heard of cases where COPR was revoked but never where COPR was actually reissued because of this.
From what I’ve read in this forum is that, the initial COPRs were revoked since the applicant was outside of Canada. They were asked to inform IRCC once they’ve returned to Canada in order to finalize their landing and get their new COPR. The posts I’ve read back in Jan / Feb 2021 weren’t that specific on how the applicants got their new COPR.

EDIT: sorry if the previous post sounded like the applicant will receive COPR automatically after landing.

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
Hello everyone
I got email regarding IRCC ETOBICOKE is processing Virtual landing stated that if client is in Canada and they want varification of my address and so on,,
Actually i am in India
Can in get my COPR here or when Arrive In Canada
Also is this a good sign!!

Thanks
The right thing to do is reply saying that you’re outside Canada. IRCC will respond with what the next steps would be.