+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR outside Canada question

SukhmaniKaur23

Apr 14, 2020
Hello All,

I am work permit holder in Canada. I have to travel to India for my marriage on 5 March, 2021 and will return on 25 April, 2021. My marriage is on 20 March, 2021. I have following 2 queries:

1. I applied for work visa with my work permit, and received the stamp for study visa in return. I am unsure if I will be able to travel back with this situation, having study visa and work permit. Will I be asked to show my work permit during departure from India? I called IRCC and they informed me that it was a mistake from their end that they sent stamp for study visa, and there will no issue for me travel back to Canada. Please let me know your thoughts.

2. I have also applied for PR under CEC, and it's about time that I should receive my PR confirmation too. I have another question, what happens if I am in India and I get a notification that my PR is approved, what are the steps that I will have to follow sitting in India then. Also, what different scenarios will happen if PR confirmation comes after I am married or before I am married. Please advise.

3. People tell me I will have to surrender my PR, and will apply again with spouse. In that case, will my Work permit status will remain valid and I will be able to come back to Canada as a worker easily or not?

Regards,
Sukhmani

Last edited:
Reactions: skhilav

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hello All,

I am work permit holder in Canada. I have to travel to India for my marriage on 5 March, 2021 and will return on 25 April, 2021. My marriage is on 20 March, 2021. I have following 2 queries:

1. I applied for work visa with my work permit, and received the stamp for study visa in return. I am unsure if I will be able to travel back with this situation, having study visa and work permit. Will I be asked to show my work permit during departure from India? I called IRCC and they informed me that it was a mistake from their end that they sent stamp for study visa, and there will no issue for me travel back to Canada. Please let me know your thoughts.

2. I have also applied for PR under CEC, and it's about time that I should receive my PR confirmation too. I have another question, what happens if I am in India and I get a notification that my PR is approved, what are the steps that I will have to follow sitting in India then. Also, what different scenarios will happen if PR confirmation comes after I am married or before I am married. Please advise.

3. People tell me I will have to surrender my PR, and will apply again with spouse. In that case, will my Work permit status will remain valid and I will be able to come back to Canada as a worker easily or not?

Regards,
Sukhmani
  1. Visa is what allow you to get on the plane and travel. The type is irrelevant. Just make sure you will be able to travel back based on the current restrictions. All you need to travel is the VISA in your passport, period.
  2. Get in touch with IRCC and inform them you are temporarily outside of Canada. They will most certainly not schedule any landing appointment within Canada and will ask you to land once you arrive back. When you are at the port of entry let them know you have gotten married and wish to add your spouse to your application. You can also do that before heading back by raising a webform. No difference, you can chose to add or not your spouse to your application as long as you haven't landed yet.
  3. No, you don't have to. You could but it would be an stupid decision. You can either:
    • Proceed with the landing and become a PR, and then sponsor your spouse. This option is not so wise, however, you would become a PR sooner but your spouse won't until after the sponsorship process is completed (up to 2 years).
    • Inform IRCC you got married and add your spouse to your application. You will not be able to land and become a PR until you have submitted the required documents (See other threads) and IRCC has processed this. This will certainly add time, maybe several months to the processing. With this option you will both become PRs together. This is the smart choice. Your CRS won't change and your spouse must not submit any documentation regarding their education, work experience, or language test scores.
    • Cancel your application, lose money, and reapply. This will mean your will have to start over from scratch. Your CRS will be recalculated taking in account your spouse's information. You will also need your spouse's documentation pertaining to their language scores, education, and work experience (not the case for the second option) besides the documents you will need for option 2 (marriage certificate, medical exam. police records, etc, etc.). This is the stupid choice.

Reactions: rahul.calgary

SukhmaniKaur23

Apr 14, 2020
  1. Visa is what allow you to get on the plane and travel. The type is irrelevant. Just make sure you will be able to travel back based on the current restrictions. All you need to travel is the VISA in your passport, period.
  2. Get in touch with IRCC and inform them you are temporarily outside of Canada. They will most certainly not schedule any landing appointment within Canada and will ask you to land once you arrive back. When you are at the port of entry let them know you have gotten married and wish to add your spouse to your application. You can also do that before heading back by raising a webform. No difference, you can chose to add or not your spouse to your application as long as you haven't landed yet.
  3. No, you don't have to. You could but it would be an stupid decision. You can either:
    • Proceed with the landing and become a PR, and then sponsor your spouse. This option is not so wise, however, you would become a PR sooner but your spouse won't until after the sponsorship process is completed (up to 2 years).
    • Inform IRCC you got married and add your spouse to your application. You will not be able to land and become a PR until you have submitted the required documents (See other threads) and IRCC has processed this. This will certainly add time, maybe several months to the processing. With this option you will both become PRs together. This is the smart choice. Your CRS won't change and your spouse must not submit any documentation regarding their education, work experience, or language test scores.
    • Cancel your application, lose money, and reapply. This will mean your will have to start over from scratch. Your CRS will be recalculated taking in account your spouse's information. You will also need your spouse's documentation pertaining to their language scores, education, and work experience (not the case for the second option) besides the documents you will need for option 2 (marriage certificate, medical exam. police records, etc, etc.). This is the stupid choice.
Thank you for your reply. It is really detailed and helps me understand the situation better :)

I now have the following 2 queries:

1. What if I am in India and I get my PR approval before I get married? Since I am landing on 5 March, and getting married on 20th March. What happens if I get PR approval between those dates?

2. I have a brother as well in Canada, who is CEC Inland applicant of PR and currently on work permit. He also has India trip planned for my marriage. But he is going to be there for just the month of March, after which he has to come back due to his work. What happens in his case if his PR application gets approved while he is in India? Will his TRV and work permit remain valid for him to enter back to Canada by end of March?

Many thanks for your answer in advance.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Thank you for your reply. It is really detailed and helps me understand the situation better :)

I now have the following 2 queries:

1. What if I am in India and I get my PR approval before I get married? Since I am landing on 5 March, and getting married on 20th March. What happens if I get PR approval between those dates?

2. I have a brother as well in Canada, who is CEC Inland applicant of PR and currently on work permit. He also has India trip planned for my marriage. But he is going to be there for just the month of March, after which he has to come back due to his work. What happens in his case if his PR application gets approved while he is in India? Will his TRV and work permit remain valid for him to enter back to Canada by end of March?

Many thanks for your answer in advance.
  1. You would inform IRCC you are not in Canada and they will most certainly tell you to land at the Port of Entry once you are back. it doesn't matter because you will get married before landing so it is the same. When you land they will ask you if you have gotten married. If so, they will not complete the landing and will then advise you on the next steps to add your spouse.
  2. Yes as long as the current restrictions permit. Most likely you will both see a very expensive return if the 2000 dollar quarantine comes in effects and remains by then.

Reactions: creativerbl

SukhmaniKaur23

Apr 14, 2020
  1. You would inform IRCC you are not in Canada and they will most certainly tell you to land at the Port of Entry once you are back. it doesn't matter because you will get married before landing so it is the same. When you land they will ask you if you have gotten married. If so, they will not complete the landing and will then advise you on the next steps to add your spouse.
  2. Yes as long as the current restrictions permit. Most likely you will both see a very expensive return if the 2000 dollar quarantine comes in effects and remains by then.
Thanks again for your reply.

I spoke with IRCC today and they asked me to raise a web form informing them of the dates when I will be India, so they won't send my PR approval during those dates. Since I am travelling on 5th March, shall I raise a webform now or just before my travel? I am concerned if they will send PR in these few days before I go due to which I will have to cancel my travel all-together since I wont be able to go outside Canada without my PR card, which takes 4 weeks for processing.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Thanks again for your reply.

I spoke with IRCC today and they asked me to raise a web form informing them of the dates when I will be India, so they won't send my PR approval during those dates. Since I am travelling on 5th March, shall I raise a webform now or just before my travel? I am concerned if they will send PR in these few days before I go due to which I will have to cancel my travel all-together since I wont be able to go outside Canada without my PR card, which takes 4 weeks for processing.
It is still a while before you leave.

You don't really need to tell them in advance. Nothing really will change by you informing them. It's not like you must inform them of each trip you take. You only have to do so if you change your permanent address.

Just go, and if you are approved while abroad then contact them, if not then no.

Last edited: